Country
Poland
Reactions: matpower

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, SickPuppy, I have to ask... were you even born in time to play a Dreamcast at all?

The dreamcast had without a doubt the single best launch lineup of any console in the last nearly 20 years.

Yes, I was born around the time the first color tv was launched.
...:rofl2:

p4rgaming.com is a satirical website, they don't post actual news, they're like The Onion of gaming. I would've assumed that the other headlines would give that away, but... Well done, SickPuppy. :rolleyes:

All I did was google it, there were numerous websites that reported that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All I did was google it, there were numerous websites that reported that.
Can't help but wonder if those other sites didn't happend to be Nintendo-oriented and ran by 14-year-olds who didn't get the memo that their source is a satirical website.

It's not really all that hard to sell worse than the Dreamcast because the Dreamcast didn't sell poorly. In fact, it had one of the most successful launches in video game history - SEGA actually couldn't keep up with the demand. Sales of the Dreamcast only slowed down after people began anticipating the PlayStation 2.

The reason why it was pulled off the shelves was not poor performace, it was SEGA's poor financial situation. After a shake-up among the higher-ups the new CEO has decided that SEGA no longer has enough resources to properly support the system so the decision was made to discontinue it. At the same time they were holding talks with Microsoft so that the soon to be Xbox would support Dreamcast games as well as Xbox games, but that unfortunately fell through.

With SEGA's poor reputation after their previous unsuccessful systems and Sony's strong PlayStation brand in mind it's not hard to guess why they failed in competing with the PS2.

EDIT: Just to put my words in perspective, the Dreamcast sold 10.6 million units between late 1998 and early 2001 - it was in Japan a year earlier than anywhere else (the system released in late 1999 in North America, Australia and Europe), but that's just one country, so let's round things up to 2 years total. As of March 31st 2014 Nintendo shipped 6.17 million Wii U's. The PSVita's isn't doing that much better, estimates show that aprox. 8.2 million units were shipped to date but there's no official word from Sony. Not bad for a system that's supposedly "the worst", especially considering the fact that today consoles sell infinitely better than they used to.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...unlike the handhelds, this one takes some looking into:

The Xbox and Xbox360 are the first to scrap of the list: those were just the "less best" kind of consoles. The ouya is directly underneath that. It tries to be different and has some slight issues, but for a budget console it's really doing quite well.
Then...the nintendo color TV game is next to be scrapped. To be honest, I doubt most people were realising they were actually voting for the WORST game console (there weren't that many votes on the overall poll anyway).

Then it gets a bit harder...the 3DO is next to scrap due to it pretty close to the rest in that generation (going from my impressions here...never owned one).
From what remained...the PV-1000 and Fairchild were pretty obscure consoles, afaik. The Philips CD-i wasn't. That's why it got my vote, in the end. Not so much because it butchered some nintendo franchises but because it failed the hardest (again: I don't know the story of those other two mentioned ones). With FMV and edutainment, they tried to push games into a direction nobody asked for.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like how the Xbox 360, a fantastic system that was leading ahead of the PS3 for a number of years is currently losing against the PV-1000, a system that was discontinued after a few weeks and the 3DO which flopped big time. GBATemp, ladies and gentlemen. :rofl2:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like how the Xbox 360, a fantastic system that was leading ahead of the PS3 for a number of years is currently losing against the PV-1000, a system that was discontinued after a few weeks and the 3DO which flopped big time. GBATemp, ladies and gentlemen. :rofl2:
Yes...the xbox360 is THAT TERRIBLE!!!

I don't get it either.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Don't tempt me... Mine randomly started showing pre-RRoD signs after only 30 minutes of use today (and less than three years of relatively light use), so I'm pissed. :rofl2:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't tempt me... Mine randomly started showing pre-RRoD signs after only 30 minutes of use today (and less than three years of relatively light use), so I'm pissed. :rofl2:
RROD stories are really bizarre - some people get them several times in a row, others have launch 360'ties to this day. I'm tempted to say it's a matter of the evironment the console's in, whether it's cooled or not, how much dust is in the air etc.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
RROD stories are really bizarre - some people get them several times in a row, others have launch 360'ties to this day. I'm tempted to say it's a matter of the evironment the console's in, whether it's cooled or not, how much dust is in the air etc.

Mine is a weird case. It's a Best Buy refurbished elite I got as a gift, and I barely used it at all the first year I had it. Only a few months after I started using it regularly (by regularly, I mean a few hours a week at most), it randomly red-ringed. I turned it off, left it for an hour, and started it up again. No more red-ring, and no difference in performance except that it sometimes took up to a minute to truly shut off after pressing the power button (the fan was still running, etc). Now today, well over a year later, it randomly freezes within a minute of booting up any game (no RRoD, btw), after working perfectly fine for 30 minutes today, and for an hour a couple days ago.

I've always kept it in a rather open, cool environment, btw. At my old apartment when it red ringed, it was sitting atop the entertainment center with nothing above or around it, and now it's sitting in a shelf with a healthy amount of open space that's regularly dusted.

Anyway that was off-topic and my last post was mostly in jest, but for people who've had to deal with that, I can understand why they'd vote for the 360. I mean, how many of these other "worst systems" just flat-out stop working, and still cost at least $100 to replace, 9 years after launch? It's incredibly irritating, to say the least. Especially when the solution isn't as simple as, "Eh, I'll just upgrade to the new console, it's backwards compatible!"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah, so it was a refurb with a history of acting up - figures. I know it sounds crazy but the one place where consoles get completely demolished as far as grime and dust is concerned are game stores. I can't even begin to count the number of times when GAME would sell an absolutely fithy system that you had to spend an hour cleaning before it looked presentablem and that's considered "refurbished". I'm not saying "don't buy pre-owned systems", they're a great value, just be sure to give them some love and check things before jumping in head first. ;)

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

Its not like you can take this poll seriously. The majority of the people voting have a blinkered view of gaming and know very little about its actual history past Nintendo.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

I've still got 2 launch day 360s that work fine...well, the ethernet port on one of them died off, but other than that they're great, no RROD here ;O;

That said, I'm tempted to say most Tempers who voted for the original XBOX/360 either weren't even born for most of these consoles or were too young to appreciate them, hence why the 360 and the original XBOX has any votes at all. Granted, I am one of them (I was born in 94), my father and my older brother were avid gamers back in the day so as I grew up I was able to experience the CD-i and the 3DO and such...and they were both pretty poop lol.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So... Uhm...

Ethnic cleansing? :yay:

Im just facepalming at the hate for Philips its so predictable. I bet if Casio sued Nintendo last week the PV-1000 would have 200 votes instead now.

The only reason the CD-i exists is because Nintendo screwed over Sony which is also the only reason why Playstation exist now. The reason the CD-i has its shitty Zelda games is because it is essentially a SNES CD, so go and wank over it like you do everything else fanboys.

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol