Terraria devs donate over $200,000 to open-source game engines following Unity controversy

dsadadsadasdasdasadsdas.png

After the announcement of a new fee-based system for all games developed with Unity incited the rage of gamers and developers alike, some within the industry are taking a stand. Re-Logic, the indie company behind Terraria, has announced that it'll be donating $100,000 each to Godot and FNA, two open-source game development engines. They'll also continue to support the companies by pledging $1,000 a month to both of them, in hopes of furthering their goals to create approachable and easily accessible game development tools. Already, indie developers have been creating successful games with both FNA and Godot, with some examples being Cassette Beasts, Axiom Verge, and certain aspects of the Sonic Colors: Ultimate remaster.

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Private companies can be sold if the current owner(s) sell it, a company doesn't have to be public in order to be bought. What you described is a takeover where an entity buys up all public shares in order to force a majority that is able to make decisions. AFAIK it's a hostile takeover if this happens without the knowledge of the already existing shareholders, and a regular one if it's basically done with permission.

But as far as I'm aware Andrew "Redigit" Spinks is the sole owner of Re-Logic, so if he ever wants to pull a Notch he could certainly sell out to Microsoft or another entity. Though I don't think he'd be willing to sell any time soon, the guy doesn't seem to care about money in an unhealthy way.
“shares to sell” is not limited to publically traded. For there to be a buyer, you need a seller. A “share” litterally as “a part of the company”, even if it is privately held, even by 1 owner.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What a complete joke of a company this is exactly why more games need to be acquired by Microsoft. Using open source software is very dangerous and I believe should even be illegal.
Open source shouldn't be legal as it's ruining lives and jobs.
iu

(not interacting further)

Anyway, massive W to those over at Re-Logic, and those at Godot and FNA.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
You cannot strive on donations there must be a source of income to entice development. Open source projects are good for general purpose since they offer the least functionality with barebone features but they are never going to replace established engines.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Completely predictable on Unity's part and an unexpected move from an old forgotten friend, Re-logic.

I also want to "dig in" to Terraria again. Okay, I'll leave now.

I think you should get back into the game! This game has gotten a bunch of stuff since 1.3.5, and the game is just getting better with content from Don't Starve, and eventually Dead Cells being put into the game. Not to mention that there are bit more tools that make your experience a bit easier now with the inlcusion of Shimmer.

The only thing I'll complaint is that as a veteran(?), the game is getting a bit too easy with the new stuff getting added in and that it's taking the general difficulty away, but I think that with including Master Mode that it smoothly evens out everything.
Post automatically merged:

yeah I think these comments have just gone completely insane

I'll never let someone ina comments section annoy me! I'm avoid the talk about the user as much as possible (and hope that it gets removed by one of the mods), but the Terraria talk on a platform like this amuzes me a lot.

Reactions: Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should get back into the game! This game has gotten a bunch of stuff since 1.3.5, and the game is just getting better with content from Don't Starve, and eventually Dead Cells being put into the game. Not to mention that there are bit more tools that make your experience a bit easier now with the inlcusion of Shimmer.

The only thing I'll complaint is that as a veteran(?), the game is getting a bit too easy with the new stuff getting added in and that it's taking the general difficulty away, but I think that with including Master Mode that it smoothly evens out everything.
Post automatically merged:

I'll never let someone ina comments section annoy me! I'm avoid the talk about the user as much as possible (and hope that it gets removed by one of the mods), but the Terraria talk on a platform like this amuzes me a lot.
Holy moly, what are you even talking about? It's clear I've been away entirely too long. I must play!

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Holy moly, what are you even talking about? It's clear I've been away entirely too long. I must play!

Have you've been playing since 1.1 or something??? If so, then you're intona lot. This game has definitely changed since then and its still growing strong.

There's even mod support where they've brought back the bosses they took from the old gen console versions of the game (Lepus, Ocram, and Turkour). All of the nre renditions of the bosses are great and it's nice to see that they're back along with the new content.

I play TModLoader now because I've officially am bored with vanilla and the experiences have been getting better ever since. I still appreciate the work Redigit's doing though.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you've been playing since 1.1 or something??? If so, then you're intona lot. This game has definitely changed since then and its still growing strong.

There's even mod support where they've brought back the bosses they took from the old gen console versions of the game (Lepus, Ocram, and Turkour). All of the nre renditions of the bosses are great and it's nice to see that they're back along with the new content.

I play TModLoader now because I've officially am bored with vanilla and the experiences have been getting better ever since. I still appreciate the work Redigit's doing though.
So Ive looked into it and the last time I played was 1.3... and now I feel old lol

Seems like there's lots for me to discover

Reactions: DragonMals

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
You're going to get a whole bunch of stuff and despite having too many "final updates" this game will never have a true end. The final updates might aswell be a running gag at this point.

They even added poo blocks into the game which I despise

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You cannot strive on donations there must be a source of income to entice development. Open source projects are good for general purpose since they offer the least functionality with barebone features but they are never going to replace established engines.
please educate yourself on... basically all modern IT in the world and the core bricks they rely on... FFS.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O3DE is also a thing for those of you that enjoy working with the hellscape that is the CryEngine. It's literally an free and open source version of CryEngine. It's a rebrand of Amazon Lumberyard (yes the engine Star Citizen uses) after Amazon got tired of maintaining it and gave it to the Linux Foundation.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terraria Devs face when these corporations go bad in the future just like Unity

💀💀💀💀
The types of people who care enough to make their software Open source are also likely the types of people who aren't going to want to fuck up their software.

And if they did, you can fork it. That's the best part of FOSS.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Once you play Thorium/Calamity, you really cannot go back to vanilla Terraria, way too barebones.

Also, Terraria is amazing, yes:
1695592557967.png

I've got at least twice as much with mods before tModLoader got added to Steam.

It cost me a single dollar to buy in a sale (converted to local currency), and lasted for hundreds times more than $60 games.

On-topic, great move from Red and Co, and understandably so: when you get to know the inner workings of Terraria, you know how much amateurish their early code is.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Once you play Thorium/Calamity, you really cannot go back to vanilla Terraria, way too barebones.

Also, Terraria is amazing, yes:
View attachment 395695

I've got at least twice as much with mods before tModLoader got added to Steam.

It cost me a single dollar to buy in a sale (converted to local currency), and lasted for hundreds times more than $60 games.

On-topic, great move from Red and Co, and understandably so: when you get to know the inner workings of Terraria, you know how much amateurish their early code is.

If you have a thousand hours into the game just like I do, then that means you're an active player of the game and I greatly appreciate someone who not only is a Retro gamer but has played this game enough just like I do. This game is the top!

BubsyOrange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad Godot is in the list of open-source engines to receive donations for their work. Godot is very user-friendly and has excellent documentation!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y