Terraria devs donate over $200,000 to open-source game engines following Unity controversy

dsadadsadasdasdasadsdas.png

After the announcement of a new fee-based system for all games developed with Unity incited the rage of gamers and developers alike, some within the industry are taking a stand. Re-Logic, the indie company behind Terraria, has announced that it'll be donating $100,000 each to Godot and FNA, two open-source game development engines. They'll also continue to support the companies by pledging $1,000 a month to both of them, in hopes of furthering their goals to create approachable and easily accessible game development tools. Already, indie developers have been creating successful games with both FNA and Godot, with some examples being Cassette Beasts, Axiom Verge, and certain aspects of the Sonic Colors: Ultimate remaster.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What a complete joke of a company this is exactly why more games need to be acquired by Microsoft. Using open source software is very dangerous and I believe should even be illegal.
Of course you are 15

StiflingHat9897

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After the announcement of a new fee-based system for all games developed with Unity incited the rage of gamers and developers alike, some within the industry are taking a stand. Re-Logic, the indie company behind Terraria, has announced that it'll be donating $100,000 each to Godot and FNA, two open-source game development engines. They'll also continue to support the companies by pledging $1,000 a month to both of them, in hopes of furthering their goals to create approachable and easily accessible game development tools. Already, indie developers have been creating successful games with both FNA and Godot, with some examples being Cassette Beasts, Axiom Verge, and certain aspects of the Sonic Colors: Ultimate remaster.

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1704227519027651016
The also added monogame to the list by the way

Reactions: hippy dave

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wtf are you on about with that bar-room strategy talk...

In what way a successful indie studio making a donation to open source engines could it cause the demise of either the indie studio or the open engine team? (if that even makes sense)

A company can only be bought if there are shares to sell (presumably from one of the founders). This kind of big donation decision would require all current shareholders to be aligned for it to go through, so I don’t see how this weakens the indie studio. If any, it tells us how unfied behind common values these guys really are.

Kudos Terraria team.
Private companies can be sold if the current owner(s) sell it, a company doesn't have to be public in order to be bought. What you described is a takeover where an entity buys up all public shares in order to force a majority that is able to make decisions. AFAIK it's a hostile takeover if this happens without the knowledge of the already existing shareholders, and a regular one if it's basically done with permission.

But as far as I'm aware Andrew "Redigit" Spinks is the sole owner of Re-Logic, so if he ever wants to pull a Notch he could certainly sell out to Microsoft or another entity. Though I don't think he'd be willing to sell any time soon, the guy doesn't seem to care about money in an unhealthy way.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a complete joke of a company this is exactly why more games need to be acquired by Microsoft. Using open source software is very dangerous and I believe should even be illegal.
nah your 2 not 15 OS (Opensource) is the complete opposite of what you describe one good example of closed (Harmful) software) was the now irrelivant (due to nintendos actions which i was luke warm about) SXOS which had brick code baked into it you cant see closed source software unless you RE it, another more infamous bad software example was when Sony burned rootkits on audio CD's a company using actually malicious code is inexcusable in my book

Reactions: The Catboy

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
The vast majority of the internet is run on open-source software. Much of Doom's legacy continues to survive 30 years after release because its open-source engine has allowed for mods to be made. If you are using an Android phone, you are using an open-source-based OS. Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or any Chrome-based browser, you are using software made from open-source software. MacOS, iOS, iPadOS, TVOS, and every single Apple OS is based on Darwin, an open-source BSD OS. Literally what the hell are on you on about?
The kid is trolling & baiting, and you're falling for it. Your type of message is what this nobody-loser wants, they're bored you see. And if the kid really believes it, well then I'm sure there's a mental asylum with an empty slot nearby somewhere for them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The kid is trolling & baiting, and you're falling for it. Your type of message is what this nobody-loser wants, they're bored you see. And if the kid really believes it, well then I'm sure there's a mental asylum with an empty slot nearby somewhere for them.
Yeah, that actually does sound right, ngl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.