Wii U physical version of Axiom Verge finally gets release, dev begins lawsuit against publisher

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot A Nintendo DSi-madman (and yet he doesn’t code)

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    All I'm wondering is
    A Wii U physical release... in 2019...

Imagine if Mighty No. 9 will recieve a release date tomorrow for the Nintendo 3DS.

2. Rashield

Rashield Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2019
    Mexico
    Sincerely, I could never trust an publisher with such name

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So BadLand Games were basically dickweeds and screwed LRG out of money. I hope they lose every lawsuit thrown at them, Limited Run deserves better.

bandithedoge and Subtle Demise like this.
  4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I bought this game on the switch. iI've tried to like it, but I''m on the fence about that one. it's just too confusing.

5. Crimson Cuttlefish

Crimson Cuttlefish GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2016
    United States
    Shieet, if it weren't for this drama we'd probably have Axiom Verge 2 already...
    Damn you BadLand!

6. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2018
    United States
    The 75% of BadLand's cut going to a foundation was almost certainly for a tax writeoff. Corporations are allowed to deduct charitable donations from their taxes, so they could deduct the funds they sent to the foundation, but not extra money that they paid directly to Happ, which would be a normal operating expense.

7. luisedgarf

luisedgarf Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2009
    Mexico
    Mexico
    Spanish speaker here. I don't know Spain's laws and I don't know if this is the same case as I'm Mexican; but Mexico, Spain and many Latin American countries shares more or less a similar legal framework, as Spain likely use the Napoleonic and Roman Law, while the developer is from an English-speaking country, and as such, he use the Common Law.

In Mexico, at least (I don't know if is the same case in Spain) you can unilaterally break a contract if you have a very valid reason for doing so (a fact that can be exploited by many unscrupolous companies many times, at least here in my country) without many consecuences, unlike a company from a Common Law country, when doing the same could bring dire consecuences to them.

This is one of the reasons why American individuals are always compeled on doing contracts when all the parts are obliged to follow American laws, so they cannot pull it down this.

Last edited by luisedgarf, Mar 16, 2019
  8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    fatal frame have retail release in europe, with cfw your wiiu is region free to play any pal wiiu discs.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's not how taxation works. Companies don't magically get tax write-offs, the way it works is that a company doesn't have to pay tax on the amount donated. They're still donating the money, they're not "ahead" in any way, it's the government that gets a little less tax. If they donate a 100k that normally would be subject to the standard corporate tax rate, let's say 20%, then they don't have to pay that 20% of that 100k, meaning 20k. No company in the world donates 100k to save 20k, these donations fall into charitable work perfectly fine and are not a way of avoiding taxation, the tax system simply encourages corporations to engage in charity by not penalising them with a tax on revenue donated to a worthy cause. That's the basic premise, naturally there are some differences depending on your location, and there are upper limits on how large the deductible can be, but the general point is the company doesn't really save any money by being charitable.
    I tend to apply Occam's Razor to most things.

That's what contract law is for, the legal system is well-equipped to deal with business, in many cases more so than with civil disputes.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Will this become one of the super rare titles for the Wii U? Niche releases after the system has finished (especially when it also failed) tend to become such.

11. pitterpatter

pitterpatter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    the Wii U is not dead. long live the Wii U!!!!

12. Kraken_X

Kraken_X Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2018
    United States
    That is all correct, but my point is that if Badlands paid 100k to a charity it would only cost them 80k because they can deduct it from their taxes, whereas if they paid Happ the 100k directly, they couldn't deduct it. Badlands ends up 20k ahead and Happ would have gotten the same amount of money.

Obviously the numbers are different and Badlands didn't honor their side of the deal, but that's almost certainly why they planned to set up the foundation and donate to it rather than just paying Happ more.

Last edited by Kraken_X, Mar 16, 2019
  13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I see your point now, I misunderstood. You are correct, and it would also leave Happ with the operational cost of the foundation.

14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Still more alive than the Vita :creep: which is funny, because "Vita" translates to "life" in Italian.

tbb043 and pitterpatter like this.
  15. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    Outside the drama: I'm thinking about playing this game on Switch. Do you guys recommend it?

16. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    May as well, no harm no foul.

17. pitterpatter

pitterpatter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    I hope that the reverse crew is successful in bringing back Miiverse to the console. there are a lot of laughs and restored online functionality to be had

18. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fan-HAT-ic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Heartbreaking. And ironic that the company's name is BadLand.

19. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Im ordering me a copy. I have the switch version. This wii U version is gonna be super rare. Might even be more rare then a wiiu kiosk. I might order 2 copies.

20. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Personally I hope for more Wii U titles, the Wii U is the real hybrid system not the switch. The switch is just a handheld system to me, while the Wii U although just a console, I look at it as both console and handheld. I liked how the gamepad actually needed to be used for games and wasn’t just a second screen. I just felt the Wii U gamepad was like a touchscreen like the ds and the top screen was the tv.

pitterpatter and huma_dawii like this.