Terraria devs donate over $200,000 to open-source game engines following Unity controversy

dsadadsadasdasdasadsdas.png

After the announcement of a new fee-based system for all games developed with Unity incited the rage of gamers and developers alike, some within the industry are taking a stand. Re-Logic, the indie company behind Terraria, has announced that it'll be donating $100,000 each to Godot and FNA, two open-source game development engines. They'll also continue to support the companies by pledging $1,000 a month to both of them, in hopes of furthering their goals to create approachable and easily accessible game development tools. Already, indie developers have been creating successful games with both FNA and Godot, with some examples being Cassette Beasts, Axiom Verge, and certain aspects of the Sonic Colors: Ultimate remaster.

Alagara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had been following the development of Casette Beasts on Twitter in the before times. Nice to know the engine is open source and gamer / dev friendly :)

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unity and Unreal only benefits developers and the companies - it doesn't benefit gamers.

These engines help to compile the game for many platforms, it saves the time and effort - that means less money spent for the developing companies. Gamers however, have to deal with performance issues from these off-the-shelf engines. A custom engine is more optimized and developers can easily diagnose and fix the bugs, but it cost money to make an engine for every platforms.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As if I needed another reason to love Terraria. :D I have tons of respect for the developers for putting out major updates for years after the supposed "final" version and never splitting any of the massive content to DLCs. They've always been cool like that.

Reactions: DragonMals

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
As if I needed another reason to love Terraria. :D I have tons of respect for the developers for putting out major updates for years after the supposed "final" version and never splitting any of the massive content to DLCs. They've always been cool like that.

They will always be the best developers I've seen from the Indie game scene. Next to ConcernedApe!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They will always be the best developers I've seen from the Indie game scene. Next to ConcernedApe!
ConcernedApe and Re-Logic need to move to other games. We love your games damn it... release us a paid DLC at least if you gonna keep develop your games so we can support you! (I know ConcernedApe are working on that Chocolate game)

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
ConcernedApe and Re-Logic need to move to other games. We love your games damn it... release us a paid DLC at least if you gonna keep develop your games so we can support you! (I know ConcernedApe are working on that Chocolate game)

I think that Terraria is fine just how it is. Other games would be perfect for the team, but if I think about it, unless they can come up with something extremely great but more original (Pixel Piracy is one game that doesn't get talked about much in the Terraria community despite also being made by Re-Logic) original but also more interesting, Terraria is great.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
free tayk yall be some retards omm! terraria is literally just 2d minecraft clone written in scratch LOL

Looks we have someone that doesn't appreciate the vales that Terarria has. Yeah it's 2D Minecraft but Minecraft is nothing but a game that only kids would play to stop themselves from being bored shooting and destroying each other in a game like Fortnite.

Why can't other kids call Roblox 3d Minecraft or something like that but they an call Terraria that?

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

After the announcement of a new fee-based system for all games developed with Unity incited the rage of gamers and developers alike, some within the industry are taking a stand. Re-Logic, the indie company behind Terraria, has announced that it'll be donating $100,000 each to Godot and FNA, two open-source game development engines. They'll also continue to support the companies by pledging $1,000 a month to both of them, in hopes of furthering their goals to create approachable and easily accessible game development tools. Already, indie developers have been creating successful games with both FNA and Godot, with some examples being Cassette Beasts, Axiom Verge, and certain aspects of the Sonic Colors: Ultimate remaster.

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1704227519027651016
Just wow glad there helping them :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol