Terraria devs donate over $200,000 to open-source game engines following Unity controversy

dsadadsadasdasdasadsdas.png

After the announcement of a new fee-based system for all games developed with Unity incited the rage of gamers and developers alike, some within the industry are taking a stand. Re-Logic, the indie company behind Terraria, has announced that it'll be donating $100,000 each to Godot and FNA, two open-source game development engines. They'll also continue to support the companies by pledging $1,000 a month to both of them, in hopes of furthering their goals to create approachable and easily accessible game development tools. Already, indie developers have been creating successful games with both FNA and Godot, with some examples being Cassette Beasts, Axiom Verge, and certain aspects of the Sonic Colors: Ultimate remaster.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now, this is very sad...
To be honnest, I really love to see companies doing stuff like that... but it seems to be what will cause their demise...
I wouldn't be surprised if their company get bought by bigger ones and they end up being like all other video game companies...

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Now, this is very sad...
To be honnest, I really love to see companies doing stuff like that... but it seems to be what will cause their demise...
I wouldn't be surprised if their company get bought by bigger ones and they end up being like all other video game companies...
wtf are you on about with that bar-room strategy talk...

In what way a successful indie studio making a donation to open source engines could it cause the demise of either the indie studio or the open engine team? (if that even makes sense)

A company can only be bought if there are shares to sell (presumably from one of the founders). This kind of big donation decision would require all current shareholders to be aligned for it to go through, so I don’t see how this weakens the indie studio. If any, it tells us how unfied behind common values these guys really are.

Kudos Terraria team.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, this is very sad...
Who exactly are you talking about? Both of the engines they donated do are open source projects.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
This is such an incredible acheivement coming from the team who created one of my most favorite games. As an Indie dev who doesn't even like Unity in the first place, I guess this is a double win?

Anyways, this is another reason why I love Re-Logic. They be cooking things all of the time.
Post automatically merged:

I will ALWAYS appear for when something Terraria gets mentioned here btw :)

Last edited by DragonMals,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wtf are you on about with that bar-room strategy talk...

In what way a successful indie studio making a donation to open source engines could it cause the demise of either the indie studio or the open engine team? (if that even makes sense)

A company can only be bought if there are shares to sell (presumably from one of the founders). This kind of big donation decision would require all current shareholders to be aligned for it to go through, so I don’t see how this weakens the indie studio. If any, it tells us how unfied behind common values these guys really are.

Kudos Terraria team.
Who exactly are you talking about? Both of the engines they donated do are open source projects.
Im not talking about this specific donation. Im talking about any succesful businessmen in general who start acting very kind to the population. Their companies always end up being like any big companies. Look at Mark Zuckerberg, he was making donation everywhere (if i remember right, he even donated 1G$ in one time). Look at Facebook today...
It is the same thing with almost all companies

Reactions: Metoroid0

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Im not talking about this specific donation. Im talking about any succesful businessmen in general who start acting very kind to the population. Their companies always end up being like any big companies. Look at Mark Zuckerberg, he was making donation everywhere (if i remember right, he even donated 1G$ in one time). Look at Facebook today...
It is the same thing with almost all companies
I think they are no way near those levels.

https://fund.godotengine.org/

EDIT: I love the donation by a guy called "F*ckedByUnity"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol