• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Tennessee poised to ban public drag shows, hormone therapy for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After reading just through some of the comments on this, why are we allowing politically charged posts like this to come up on a gaming community website? Seems like unnecessary provocation in a community and allows them to voice frustrations with others who aren't educated on the topic. Just my 2cents

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
After reading just through some of the comments on this, why are we allowing politically charged posts like this to come up on a gaming community website? Seems like unnecessary provocation in a community and allows them to voice frustrations with others who aren't educated on the topic. Just my 2cents
You’re in the politics section.
Laws like these are never about helping children. They are just vague and designed to be abused by shitty people who hate that others practice their freedom of expression. Laws like these are made for the same reason as bathroom laws were made, to give law enforcement a free pass to beat down trans people and gender-nonconforming people. They don't protect children and people are lying to themselves if they think they do. If they actually cared about children, they would listen to the experts when they say that treating trans/GN kids with respect is the best way to help them. Simply put, Conservatives hate freedom.
Before my words get twisted, no, I don't want kids exposed to sexual stuff. No, gender-affirming care for kids does not include HRT or any surgeries. No, I don't think kids seeing LGBT+ people is inappropriate. No, I won't debate you.
You’re expecting society to conform to your unique needs while reserving the right to be non-conforming to its standards, you must realise that’s a tough sell to most people. Even if everyone agrees that gender roles are social constructs, they *are* constructs within society, and they’re deeply-rooted. This may seem like a simple request, but it’s actually a tall order. The reality of this difficult situation is that you’re asking other people to sacrifice their comfort for the benefit of your own comfort, and that’s a big request. The sensible option would be to either have three bathrooms - male, female and “do not wish to disclose” or switch to unisex bathrooms across the board, but that’s not what the fight is over - the fight is over barging into spaces that people consider inherently “theirs” by the virtue of their sex. I think you’re oversimplifying the matter by using blanket statements like this. You’re confusing what a regular proponent of birth sex-specific bathrooms considers self-preservation for bigotry, and I don’t think it’s that simple.

Reactions: tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I feel the need to reiterate that the law was repealed by a federal judge, on the grounds that it violates the first amendment. Since conservatives have decided to consistently and constantly associate dressing in drag with gender identity/being trans, it sets the precedent that gender identity is protected as freedom of expression too. Congratulations, you played yourselves.

Never forget that the second amendment is only there to protect the others, making all the others more important in the grand scheme of things. There are lots of nations that have easy access to guns, but very few with our level of freedom of speech protections.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I feel the need to reiterate that the law was repealed by a federal judge, on the grounds that it violates the first amendment. Since conservatives have decided to consistently and constantly associate dressing in drag with gender identity/being trans, it sets the precedent that gender identity is protected as freedom of expression too. Congratulations, you played yourselves.

Never forget that the second amendment is only there to protect the others, making all the others more important in the grand scheme of things. There are lots of nations that have easy access to guns, but very few with our level of freedom of speech protections.
Those events were purposefully associated with public indecency which is not protected by the first amendment, but that argument was a losing one from the start since they’re more akin to a pride parade. You can very easily argue that they’re political in nature, or that they’re self-expression, or a myriad of other arguments that do fall under the first. Ultimately it’s your choice to participate, or not. The east fix here is to simply look the other way - they’re not bothering you when you’re not there.

Reactions: Xzi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You’re in the politics section.
You’re expecting society to conform to your unique needs while reserving the right to be non-conforming to its standards, you must realise that’s a tough sell to most people. Even if everyone agrees that gender roles are social constructs, they *are* constructs within society, and they’re deeply-rooted. This may seem like a simple request, but it’s actually a tall order. The reality of this difficult situation is that you’re asking other people to sacrifice their comfort for the benefit of your own comfort, and that’s a big request. The sensible option would be to either have three bathrooms - male, female and “do not wish to disclose” or switch to unisex bathrooms across the board, but that’s not what the fight is over - the fight is over barging into spaces that people consider inherently “theirs” by the virtue of their sex. I think you’re oversimplifying the matter by using blanket statements like this. You’re confusing what a regular proponent of birth sex-specific bathrooms considers self-preservation for bigotry, and I don’t think it’s that simple.
I literally just want people to actually be free to express themselves and any laws that limit those expression is a violation of freedom of expression. Of course, I don't believe people should be free to do harm to others, but someone dressing in drag, crossdressing, or simply existing does not harm others. Now, of course, I don't want people exposing sexual acts to minors as that does harm the minor. I also don't want people sexually exposing themselves to adults who did not consent to that happening, again, that harms people. But if someone isn't violating others, then I find it a tall order to consider drag queens, crossdressers, and trans people existing to be harmful toward other people. I have to be real with you and say that no one is going to please everyone and arguing the that discomfort of others is a reason to create laws limiting freedom of expression is honestly immature. Sorry if someone living their life makes another person uncomfortable, but that person can simply not get involved and even leave. If an adult man (crossdresser or drag queen) is out in public and minding their own business, then it should be their right to do so. It is not another person's right to tell them that they are uncomfortable and that the other person should change for them. Doing so violates their rights to expression. And bathroom laws don't help anyone. Trans people using the bathroom doesn't hurt anyone. They aren't protecting women and children as most cases of them being violated in the bathroom are criminals who already ignored the laws, to begin with. Laws that harm trans/gender-nonconforming people don't make the world safer, they only make the world harder for people trying to live their lives.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I literally just want people to actually be free to express themselves and any laws that limit those expression is a violation of freedom of expression. Of course, I don't believe people should be free to do harm to others, but someone dressing in drag, crossdressing, or simply existing does not harm others. Now, of course, I don't want people exposing sexual acts to minors as that does harm the minor. I also don't want people sexually exposing themselves to adults who did not consent to that happening, again, that harms people. But if someone isn't violating others, then I find it a tall order to consider drag queens, crossdressers, and trans people existing to be harmful toward other people. I have to be real with you and say that no one is going to please everyone and arguing the that discomfort of others is a reason to create laws limiting freedom of expression is honestly immature. Sorry if someone living their life makes another person uncomfortable, but that person can simply not get involved and even leave. If an adult man (crossdresser or drag queen) is out in public and minding their own business, then it should be their right to do so. It is not another person's right to tell them that they are uncomfortable and that the other person should change for them. Doing so violates their rights to expression. And bathroom laws don't help anyone. Trans people using the bathroom doesn't hurt anyone and only helps people use the bathroom. They aren't protecting women and children as most cases of them being violated in the bathroom are criminals who already ignored the laws, to begin with. Laws that harm trans/gender-nonconforming people don't make the world safer, they only make the world harder for people trying to live their lives.
They (not referring to Foxi) want to keep re-writing the rules until certain groups constantly lose no matter what they do. There have been several recent incidents wherein transgender individuals were assaulted by groups after entering bathrooms corresponding to the sex they were assigned at birth, like conservatives want, because they outwardly appeared far more masculine/feminine instead.

So what's next? Do we send all feminine-looking men to the women's bathroom, even the cisgendered ones? Do we put a security guard in front of every bathroom, public or otherwise, to pat everybody's genitals down? Or do we all just mind our own fucking business when it comes to taking a shit or piss? I know which I'd choose.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They (not referring to Foxi) want to keep re-writing the rules until certain groups constantly lose no matter what they do. There have been several recent incidents wherein transgender individuals were assaulted by groups after entering bathrooms corresponding to the sex they were assigned at birth, like conservatives want, because they outwardly appeared far more masculine/feminine instead.

So what's next? Do we send all feminine-looking men to the women's bathroom, even the cisgendered ones? Do we put a security guard in front of every bathroom, public or otherwise, to pat everybody's genitals down? Or do we all just mind our own fucking business when it comes to taking a shit or piss? I know which I'd choose.
Even these laws (the topic) are a greater problem because they do limit freedom of expression in ways that benefit no one. What's the cutoff? Do we only limit the expression of men or do we include women as well? Should women be allowed to dress like men or in masculine clothing, like tomboys? If that isn't the case, why? And why can't those same answers be allowed to gender-nonconforming guys? If this is about the appeasement of others, what's the limit to these laws? Equally, I still have to ask how these laws are helping anyone. How are gender-nonconforming people harmful to anyone? If they are, what's the psychology behind the harm? Simply put, these laws help no one and only exist to appease people too immature to grow up and realize the world doesn't revolve around their worldviews.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I literally just want people to actually be free to express themselves and any laws that limit those expression is a violation of freedom of expression. Of course, I don't believe people should be free to do harm to others, but someone dressing in drag, crossdressing, or simply existing does not harm others. Now, of course, I don't want people exposing sexual acts to minors as that does harm the minor. I also don't want people sexually exposing themselves to adults who did not consent to that happening, again, that harms people. But if someone isn't violating others, then I find it a tall order to consider drag queens, crossdressers, and trans people existing to be harmful toward other people. I have to be real with you and say that no one is going to please everyone and arguing the that discomfort of others is a reason to create laws limiting freedom of expression is honestly immature. Sorry if someone living their life makes another person uncomfortable, but that person can simply not get involved and even leave. If an adult man (crossdresser or drag queen) is out in public and minding their own business, then it should be their right to do so. It is not another person's right to tell them that they are uncomfortable and that the other person should change for them. Doing so violates their rights to expression. And bathroom laws don't help anyone. Trans people using the bathroom doesn't hurt anyone. They aren't protecting women and children as most cases of them being violated in the bathroom are criminals who already ignored the laws, to begin with. Laws that harm trans/gender-nonconforming people don't make the world safer, they only make the world harder for people trying to live their lives.
I’m a very practical man - I look at the matter based on the equipment within, not the sign on the door - I treat that as a suggestion. The disconnect people feel is partially caused by inconsistency in how your (the royal your) case is argued. I have a specific set of “ograns”, to simplify the matter, so when nature calls, I go wherever the nearest urinal is, and only failing that do I look for stalls nearby - the situation has to be extreme for me to consider going next door to my designated space, which I have done by the way because I don’t particularly care - I need to go, so I’m going, good luck stopping me. On the flip side, I imagine that if I had a different set of organs, I’d probably go to the nearest area that has stalls and sanitary bins, the later being very bizarre contraptions indeed that kind of over complicate the simple notion of a rubbish bin, but then again, lady-specific equipment is usually complicated. As such, you kind lose me when you say that you want to go to a room that’s not equipped to serve your body type, regardless of what the badge on the door is. May as well be “M” for Mario and “W” for Waluigi for me, when I need to take a piss, I’m taking a piss, and it’s either going on the porcelain or the nearest wall, so trying to stop me has negative consequences, but not for me.

I get that this is how those people “feel”, but how they “feel” doesn’t invalidate how others “feel” about it, which is why I said the issue is more difficult than the way you’re presenting it. Nobody’s pretending that trans people don’t exist, but they might not necessarily feel comfortable sharing a locker room with someone of the opposite sex, and there’s really nothing we can do about that. I never claimed that there should be laws governing this sort of stuff, but it’s not the conservatives that made this a big issue - this used to be governed by general societal consensus. It’s the left wing that insisted on introducing laws that govern unspoken social contracts, as far as I’m concerned this is a matter for the venue to figure out. In your pursuit of equality and your attempt to stamp out discrimination you’ve put matters previously settled with a handshake into the government’s domain, so now the government decides, and argues about, all of these nonsensical distractions.

I don’t really know what to tell you, but there are usually better explanations than malice. In fact, I’m willing to wager that most politicians don’t particularly care about this at all, they’ve got better things to worry about. All of these laws exist to appeal to the electorate - it’s not uncommon for both sides of the aisle to enact laws *knowing* that they’ll be struck down by the first judge that comes across them, in fact, that’s kind of a boon. They can say they “totally tried”, but “once again the judiciary stands in the way of much-needed reform”. They know these laws won’t stand, it’s why they make’em - they get all the publicity and none of the responsibility. You’re not 5, surely you realise this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All these bans will be repealed on the same grounds eventually, I just wish there were bigger penalties for playing fast and loose with obviously unconstitutional legislation this way.
I mean, we tried putting up a couple gallows in front of Congress but you guys cried foul, and we’re not allowed to bring back dueling because you don’t like guns, so what are we supposed to do, frown a lot? :lol:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don’t say Trump didn’t warn you about the RINO’s. We tried telling you, but you didn’t listen. Now he’s shitting all over the right’s obsession with “woke”, and he’s right, as he tends to be.
Pence is just a religious nutjob, they make up the majority of Trump's base, but they obviously don't care for him in particular. I don't think it was that long ago Trump was parroting the "woke" talking points, either, so as usual he's simply trying to pull a Mac from Always Sunny and take both stances so he's "always right." Problem being that he always takes the wrong stance first, and that's why he's bankrupted so many businesses and lost so many elections for the Rs. COVID was one wrong stance too far, but it's kind of ridiculous that it took a killer pandemic to wake people up to a narcissist's incompetence.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pence is just a religious nutjob, they make up the majority of Trump's base, but they obviously don't care for him in particular. I don't think it was that long ago Trump was parroting the "woke" talking points, either, so as usual he's simply trying to pull a Mac from Always Sunny and take both stances so he's "always right." Problem being that he always takes the wrong stance first, and that's why he's bankrupted so many businesses and lost so many elections for the Rs. COVID was one wrong stance too far, but it's kind of ridiculous that it took a killer pandemic to wake people up to a narcissist's incompetence.
Ehh… I’m sure we had the same conversation in 2016. You guys are hearing words, but you’re not listening. Trump doesn’t give a shit about any of this, and he never has - Trump only cares about money, which is his core selling point. He’ll say or do whatever gives him votes, which is his core strength. He lies, cheats and dupes people I don’t respect in order to forward reform I care about - that was always the reason why he got a thumbs up from me, but it’s a tough point to get across. What you don’t understand is that the alternative to the right following in the footsteps of Trumpism is the right following in the steps of christofascism, this was always the case. You can nurture a right that cares about fiscal policy (which will take a couple years to properly raise, but that’s besides the point) or you can have a right that cares about where you go to take a shit - that’s the reality. You guys are making yourselves a very uncomfortable bed to lay on. But hey, not really a topic about Trump, so it’s not tremendously relevant to the discussion.

As a side note, “woke shit” is lame, but modern “conservatives” made “whining about woke shit” even more lame, so distancing oneself from both is the correct strategy.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ehh… I’m sure we had the same conversation in 2016. You guys are hearing words, but you’re not listening. Trump doesn’t give a shit about any of this, and he never has - Trump only cares about money, which is his core selling point. He’ll say or do whatever gives him votes, which is his core strength. What you don’t understand is that the alternative to the right following in the footsteps of Trumpism is the right following in the steps of christofascism, this was always the case. You can nurture a right that cares about fiscal policy (which will take a couple years to properly raise, but that’s besides the point) or you can have a right that cares about where you go to take a shit - that’s the reality. You guys are making yourselves a very uncomfortable bed to lay on. But hey, not really a topic about Trump, so it’s not tremendously relevant to the discussion.
Or option C: a right-wing party which can accept slightly lower profit margins in return for a higher standard of living and happiness across the entire nation. Libertarians who care more about their own individual liberties and freedoms than the profits of corporations choosing to fight "wokeism." Constituents who come to realize that all the media disinformation and rageporn keeping us divided benefits only the capitalist class of a couple hundred people in this country.

Because if the only choice is oligarchy or fascism, that's not a choice at all. My choice in that scenario would be the Rebel Alliance.

Reactions: KingVamp

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Or option C: a right-wing party which can accept slightly lower profit margins in return for a higher standard of living and happiness across the entire nation. Libertarians who care more about their own individual liberties and freedoms than the profits of corporations choosing to fight "wokeism." Constituents who come to realize that all the media disinformation and rageporn keeping us divided benefits only the capitalist class of a couple hundred people in this country.

Because if the only choice is oligarchy or fascism, that's not a choice at all. My choice in that scenario would be the Rebel Alliance.
I think I need a bucket, excuse me.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems to me that one of the most fundamental liberties is the freedom of individual expression, including gender expression. It would be nice to see so-called libertarians who actually care about others' individual liberties as much or more than their own. But perhaps that's an oxymoron. Sadly, in practice, so-called libertarians seem to prefer carrying the water for regressive conservatives to actually defending the individual freedoms they claim to be so important.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Seems to me that one of the most fundamental liberties is the freedom of individual expression, including gender expression. It would be nice to see so-called libertarians who actually care about others' individual liberties as much or more than their own. But perhaps that's an oxymoron. Sadly, in practice, so-called libertarians seem to prefer carrying the water for regressive conservatives to actually defending the individual freedoms they claim to be so important.
So-called libertarians have so-called issues with the so-called progressives because you’re trying to compel their speech (Bill C-16 in Canada is a good example). There’s also the issue of trying to establish a so-called protected class, which is inherently contrary to the idea of equal justice under so-called law (HR-1913, for instance). They don’t like people’s rights being abridged or denied, but the so-called progressives keep delegating control of those spheres of life to the government, which will always lead to rights being trampled at some point down the so-called line, so maybe you’re just reaping what you sow, so to speak… but that’s none of my business, I’m just sipping tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o