• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Tennessee poised to ban public drag shows, hormone therapy for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow do people get scared easily these days. Banning drag shows? Good lord, its like they think if a child even observes a man in woman's clothes that they'll immediately become gay or trans or whatever their deep fear is.
Funny how nobody ever complained that children have never been allowed inside regular strip bars, even strip bars that don't serve alcohol. Now a very small minority are up in arms that people are against children putting dollar bills in men's thongs.

Why is it so important for you people to sexualize children? What do you get out of it?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how nobody ever complained that children have never been allowed inside regular strip bars, even strip bars that don't serve alcohol. Now a very small minority are up in arms that people are against children putting dollar bills in men's thongs.

Why is it so important for you people to sexualize children? What do you get out of it?
Yet you see parents bring kids into bars all the time, you see guns and violence in cartoons. We're not afraid of exposing our children to this stuff, but a man in woman's clothes is the end of the world for some reason. I feel like people's deep fears expose a lot about themselves.

Reactions: RetroGen

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm noticing that people are focusing on the banning of children from drag shows part of this law. So weird nobody wants to talk about banning gender affirming surgery for minors, especially those who have said on other threads that children were not getting gender affirming surgery.

Why is it so important for kids to see drag shows when it's always been illegal for them to watch a strip show? Are you saying it's acceptable for kids to see men in women's lingerie but not to see women in women's lingerie? Would love to see somebody make this make sense.

And if gender is a social construct, why does it have to be affirmed physically?

Reactions: rocknard

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm noticing that people are focusing on the banning of children from drag shows part of this law. So weird nobody wants to talk about banning gender affirming surgery for minors, especially those who have said on other threads that children were not getting gender affirming surgery.

Why is it so important for kids to see drag shows when it's always been illegal for them to watch a strip show? Are you saying it's acceptable for kids to see men in women's lingerie but not to see women in women's lingerie? Would love to see somebody make this make sense.

And if gender is a social construct, why does it have to be affirmed physically?
It's almost like the banning of allowing children to see a man in woman's clothes is by far the most ridiculous thing on the table here or something.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet you see parents bring kids into bars all the time
Regular bars, not strip bars. Not sure if you are old enough to go to any bar, but there is a key difference.
, you see guns and violence in cartoons. We're not afraid of exposing our children to this stuff, but a man in woman's clothes is the end of the world for some reason. I feel like people's deep fears expose a lot about themselves.
Performing any overtly sexual act should not be done in front of children, whether by a man or woman. Hence, why you don't see children inside of regular strip bars. So once again, why do you want to sexualize kids?
Post automatically merged:

It's almost like the banning of allowing children to see a man in woman's clothes is by far the most ridiculous thing on the table here or something.
Children are already banned from seeing women in women's lingerie. Why do you want to expose children to men in women's lingerie but never said anything about exposing them to women in women's lingerie? What do you get out of it? Sexual gratification?

Reactions: OM3GAZX

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regular bars, not strip bars. Not sure if you are old enough to go to any bar, but there is a key difference.

Performing any overtly sexual act should not be done in front of children, whether by a man or woman. Hence, why you don't see children inside of regular strip bars. So once again, why do you want to sexualize kids?

Children are already banned from seeing women in women's lingerie. Why do you want to expose children to men in women's lingerie but never said anything about exposing them to women in women's lingerie? What do you get out of it? Sexual gratification?
My point about allowing children into bars is that a bar is an awful place to bring a child, you don't see sexual imagery, but you see drunk ass-holery, you see bar fights, you see awful language. But no laws against exposing our children to that stuff.

Drag shows do not have to involve sex or lingerie at all. It's completely understandable why you may not realize that, but you should probably educate yourself on what a drag show can be. You're using some examples to form a blanket statement about what they all are like.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not about controlling things a child might see. It's about controlling grown men who have the specific intent of performing burlesque type acts in skimpy clothing in front of children. Nobody's saying they can't perform these shows in an appropriate venue, to an appropriate audience. What's being said is that their imperative desire to do so in front of children specifically is deviant, and aberrant, and should be prevented. It's a simple case of, "what's wrong with you?!?"

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point about allowing children into bars is that a bar is an awful place to bring a child, you don't see sexual imagery, but you see drunk ass-holery, you see bar fights, you see awful language. But no laws against exposing our children to that stuff.
That must not be offensive to you because I doubt you've ever expressed any opinion about it in the past. You seem to have very strong opinions about sexualizing children. I'm sitting here wondering why.
Drag shows do not have to involve sex or lingerie at all.
But they always do.
It's completely understandable why you may not realize that, but you should probably educate yourself on what a drag show can be. You're using some examples to form a blanket statement about what they all are like.
There's a difference between what a drag show can be and what a drag show actually is in the real world.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Drag shows do not have to involve sex or lingerie at all. It's completely understandable why you may not realize that, but you should probably educate yourself on what a drag show can be. You're using some examples to form a blanket statement about what they all are like.
Uh you definitely cannot bring children into regular bars in my state - can you seriously do that in some places? Wtf

Reactions: TraderPatTX

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not about controlling things a child might see. It's about controlling grown men who have the specific intent of performing burlesque type acts in skimpy clothing in front of children. Nobody's saying they can't perform these shows in an appropriate venue, to an appropriate audience. What's being said is that their imperative desire to do so in front of children specifically is deviant, and aberrant, and should be prevented. It's a simple case of, "what's wrong with you?!?"
They are well aware that drag shows are not being banned. They really want to allow children to see and participate in drag shows. I'd like to know why this is so important to them.

Reactions: Hanafuda

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That must not be offensive to you because I doubt you've ever expressed any opinion about it in the past.
Its as offensive to me as a man in woman's clothes.
But they always do.
No, there are plenty of non-sexual drag shows. If you want to ignore this reality then I can see why it's so easy for you to stick to your beliefs. But seriously, just go educate yourself on the matter, its a far bigger topic than I think you realize.

Uh you definitely cannot bring children into regular bars in my state - can you seriously do that in some places? Wtf
Yup, in Wisconsin I see it ALL the time. It is consistently the drunkest state, and it's bar and tavern league is absurdly powerful for some reason, kinda easy to see why at least my state is so screwy on the matter. I don't like it, but I'm not up in arms about it, I don't think we need laws against it, just common sense on where we personally take our own children.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its as offensive to me as a man in woman's clothes.
No, there are plenty of non-sexual drag shows. If you want to ignore this reality then I can see why it's so easy for you to stick to your beliefs. But seriously, just go educate yourself on the matter, its a far bigger topic than I think you realize.
That is a lie.
Yup, in Wisconsin I see it ALL the time. It is consistently the drunkest state, and it's bar and tavern league is absurdly powerful for some reason, kinda easy to see why at least my state is so screwy on the matter. I don't like it, but I'm not up in arms about it, I don't think we need laws against it, just common sense on where we personally take our own children.
You still haven't answered why taking kids to sexualized drag shows is so important to you. Why do you fight so hard for kids to see men in women's lingerie? What do you personally get from it?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a lie.

You still haven't answered why taking kids to sexualized drag shows is so important to you. Why do you fight so hard for kids to see men in women's lingerie? What do you personally get from it?
Because as I've stated many times not all drag shows are sexual, so this whole facet of your argument doesn't apply, if it did, I would address such absurdidty.

I'll lay it all out simple for you in terms of how I feel here:

I don't like that there are bars that allow children. I find this to be as offensive as a man in woman's clothing. Therefore, I'm clearly not crazy about that either. However, as I said, I'm not up in arms about either, certainly not to the point of demanding that the law step in. If we don't like exposing our children to this stuff for whatever reasons we cling to, then just take responsibility and don't expose your children to it. You shouldn't need the government to step in and do this job for you.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because as I've stated many times not all drag shows are sexual, so this whole facet of your argument doesn't apply, if it did, I would address such absurdidty.

I don't like that there are bars that allow children. I find this to be as offensive as a man in woman's clothing. Therefore, I'm clearly not crazy about that either. However, as I said, I'm not up in arms about either, certainly not to the point of demanding that the law step in. If we don't like exposing our children to this stuff for whatever reasons we cling to, then just take responsibility and don't expose your children to it. You shouldn't need the government to step in and do this job for you.
Can you find a video for us of a non sexual drag show? Seems antithetical

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there are plenty of non-sexual drag shows.

Even when this happens (*doubt*), what's the value in it?? When did anyone ever propose having women (real, biological, actual women) dressed as street walkers, Vegas showgirls, S&M Dominatrixes, etc., perform a dance routine in front of children ages 1-10, as part of the kids' essential experience?? I've been on the planet a long longer than most here, and to my knowledge nobody ever thought that was a good idea, ever. So why is it important for grown men dressing up and pretending to be street walkers, Vegas showgirls, S&M Dominatrixes, etc., to dance salaciously in front of small children?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This article really addresses the issue brilliantly better than some anecdotal videos will (I just know you people will say those examples don't for some reason or another): https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...laims-obscure-the-history-of-drag-performance
It's just that personally most drag shows I have seen were very sexual, even the ones which were billed as "all ages"

And to be clear this law actually doesn't ban non sexual/non prurient drag shows in public - only ones of a sexual nature

Anyhow until I actually see a video of a wholly non sexual drag show I won't believe it - and if they are so common it should be very easy to find evidence of even one

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just that personally most drag shows I have seen were very sexual, even the ones which were billed as "all ages"

And to be clear this law actually doesn't ban non sexual/non prurient drag shows in public - only ones of a sexual nature

Anyhow until I actually see a video of a wholly non sexual drag show I won't believe it - and if they are so common it should be very easy to find evidence of even one
That's understandable, who is going to show and talk about the boring shows when men in women's clothes just sing or do a stand up act? It's honestly not particularly interesting in all reality.

As to your second point there, that's great to know, I honestly jumped the gun and didn't read the whole law. Glad to see they do make the distinguishment. Still I don't feel the law should be the ones to do this job, it should be the parents job to ensure there children don't get exposed to the things in life that they don't want their kids exposed to.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So because not all drag shows are sexual, kids should be allowed to see all drag shows. Good argument.

You do know there is a difference between saying curse words around kids and men wearing thongs around kids who are encouraged to put dollar bills in their thongs? Right? We really shouldn't need the government to step in, but then again, they step in to prosecute people for murder, rape and other crimes.

So once again, why do you want children exposed to this so bad you are willing to argue with me for hours over it?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So because not all drag shows are sexual, kids should be allowed to see all drag shows. Good argument.
Nope. My argument would be for language specifying sexual drag shows if this the route we're going to. But in all reality I think it should fall on a parent to guardian their child in terms of where they go and what they see, not the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/AJbS5PYQudQ