Hacking Tell me about life after Wii -> Wii U system transfer - I still want to play my digital games on Wii

SpriteVibe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a Wii U years ago, but I avoided the Wii system transfer option for years because it deletes your games. I think the Wii U displays all Wii (and Gamecube!) content beautifully, but I want to keep using my Wii for VC games as it offers authentic 240p output.

I know that I can do a BootMii backup on the Wii, do the system transfer to Wii U, and then restore on the Wii to get all my games back on the Wii.

But I believe I cannot access the store on the Wii after that (it kicks you out or something?). So my question is, how can I get new VC games onto my Wii after this process?

In my wildest dreams, I could just use the vWii on Wii U to use the store, buy games there, download them to SD card, and then put them on my original Wii and they'd just work because the licenses all match up. Am I this lucky?

Or do I have to treat my legit purchased WADs on vWii as if they were pirated WADs on my Wii, and turn off copy protection for all WADs?

How would you do this? :) thanks

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
you you wouldn't do the system transfer and just pirate the wads on the wii?

i think you can just move them to the sd card on the wii u, make a copy and then install them on the wii..
either way, you can pirate..

SpriteVibe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you you wouldn't do the system transfer and just pirate the wads on the wii?

i think you can just move them to the sd card on the wii u, make a copy and then install them on the wii..
either way, you can pirate..
True. I can. I don't want to IF I can avoid it.

It's not really a moral thing. Just when I'm in piracy mode, I turn into a giant trash bag and gorge myself like I was at an all you can eat buffet.

I try to maintain a little discipline now, and I find that if I actually buy digital games, I'm more likely to value the experience. So if I could pay my legit purchased games bought on vWii that would be just dandy.

Because otherwise this system transfer is condemning my original Wii to an eternity of piracy. ;(

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True. I can. I don't want to IF I can avoid it.

It's not really a moral thing. Just when I'm in piracy mode, I turn into a giant trash bag and gorge myself like I was at an all you can eat buffet.

I try to maintain a little discipline now, and I find that if I actually buy digital games, I'm more likely to value the experience
. So if I could pay my legit purchased games bought on vWii that would be just dandy.

Because otherwise this system transfer is condemning my original Wii to an eternity of piracy. ;(

mightymuffy likes the bold bit

However, in this case, you may just have to maintain that discipline as much as possible, purchase the game on vWii, then click into piracy mode that little bit and download the relevant wad file for your actual Wii - you're only being a teeny tiny, not even 10% Mr Pirate then in my opinion anyway .....you're still buying it after all! Not sure if you can do it any other way without hitting full-on pirate mode...

SpriteVibe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mightymuffy likes the bold bit

However, in this case, you may just have to maintain that discipline as much as possible, purchase the game on vWii, then click into piracy mode that little bit and download the relevant wad file for your actual Wii - you're only being a teeny tiny, not even 10% Mr Pirate then in my opinion anyway .....you're still buying it after all! Not sure if you can do it any other way without hitting full-on pirate mode...
Yeah I see your point. The only issue is, I'm not sure if I'd want to pay money for the "right" to pirate something. I'd just pirate it. And then I'd feel like I should just pirate everything. I realize we're down a neurotic rabbit hole with that one.. ;)

So let's confirm this: if I BootMii backup my Wii, transfer to Wii U, then restore my Wii:

1. Can I download games on my Wii U vWii, transfer them to a card, then play them on my OG Wii without hackery?

Or failing that

2. Can I download games on my Wii U vWii, transfer them to a card, then play them on my OG Wii WITH hackery (like the same toggle that lets you play a pirated WAD)

Or do I straight up have to download the WAD from the Internet, not through an official store?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!