Hacking USB Loader GX: Problems with File Paths Due to External Wii U Storage Device

Technocality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there,

This is my first time posting on this forum, or really any forum for that matter. Apologies if I am not following guidelines or doing something incorrectly in making this thread--please let me know if this is the case.

About a year or so ago, I hacked my Wii U, including my vWii. I've been using USB Loader GX to play backups of my Wii and Gamecube games, and the program has worked wonders in helping to streamline my library.

Recently, I decided to purchase a storage device for my Wii U in the hopes of redownloading all of my digital Wii U games in anticipation of the eventual full closure of the Wii U eshop.

However, this is where I've run into problems in using USB Loader GX.

To avoid confusion, I'll be referring to the two storage devices I have by different names:
Wii storage device -- What USB Loader GX accesses. Stores my Wii and Gamecube games. Is hidden via the "Ustealth" program to prevent the Wii U from recognizing it.
Wii U storage device -- What the Wii U accesses. Stores additional Wii U titles. Formatted to be used with the Wii U.

Here's the basic gist of my problems:

When only having the Wii storage device plugged into my Wii U, USB Loader GX works as intended. All file paths can be set correctly, and do not default to "usb8:" upon load.

However, problems arise whenever the Wii U storage device is also plugged into my Wii U. USB Loader GX will read the Wii storage device as it should, and access it. However, all file paths (I am using the default file paths) will be set to "usb8:" instead of "usb1:" as they should, causing the program to try to access non-existant file paths. Understandibly, this prevents the program from loading box arts, play counts, and cheat files as it should. Oddly, however, it still reads both the Wii and Gamecube titles I have, and allows me to access them like normal (save data is also accessed properly).

I have tried to reset the file paths back to their default settings by completely resetting USB Loader GX's settings. While this solves the problem (file paths correctly default to "usb1:", upon reloading the program, the file paths are once again incorrectly set. In fact, in all cases, the file paths reset to "usb8:" whenever reloading USB Loader GX.

I have also tried a clean reinstall of USB Loader GX, to no avail.

As far as I can tell, no one has had a similar problem to myself. This is why I post this thread in the hopes that someone might be able to assist me. I would greaty appreciate the help, if anyone is willing to give it. I'll go ahead and also include additional information that may be relevant to my issue.

Relevant Information:
USB Loader GX Version: r1281
cIOS setup: vWii default (as seen on the vWii modding guide, at "Wii U Hacks Guide", in the "Installing cIOSes" section -- Sorry, can't hyperlink as a new user)
Wii storage device: plugged into Port 0 on Wii U
Wii U storage device: plugged into Port 1 on Wii U

Thank you all for your time!
-Technocality

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
However, problems arise whenever the Wii U storage device is also plugged into my Wii U. USB Loader GX will read the Wii storage device as it should, and access it. However, all file paths (I am using the default file paths) will be set to "usb8:" instead of "usb1:" as they should, causing the program to try to access non-existant file paths. Understandibly, this prevents the program from loading box arts, play counts, and cheat files as it should. Oddly, however, it still reads both the Wii and Gamecube titles I have, and allows me to access them like normal (save data is also accessed properly).
This might be caused by a path bug, but I think how you've got your USB storage devices connected could be a contributing factor.

You should have your Wii storage device connected to this USB port and your Wii U storage device connected to a USB port on the front of the console.

Wii storage device -- What USB Loader GX accesses. Stores my Wii and Gamecube games. Is hidden via the "Ustealth" program to prevent the Wii U from recognizing it.
If you've got Aroma installed then you don't need to use USealth anymore. You'd just go into Aromas setting (L + select + down), select AromaBasePlugin, Wii U Menu patches and then enable Avoid "Format" dialog on Wii U Menu.

Last edited by blackb0x,

Technocality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might be caused by a path bug, but I think how you've got your USB storage devices connected could be a contributing factor.

You should have your Wii storage device connected to this USB port and your Wii U storage device connected to a USB port on the front of the console.

If you've got Aroma installed then you don't need to use USealth anymore. You'd just go into Aromas setting (L + select + down), select AromaBasePlugin, Wii U Menu patches and then enable Avoid "Format" dialog on Wii U Menu.
Hi blackb0x,

It's suprising to hear from the currentsoftware developer of USB Loader GX. Thank you for making such a great application--it's helped me get a whole lot more usage out of my Wii U in its post-support era.

I tried both of your suggestions, and while neither of them ended up solving my problem, at the very least, my Wii U console/homebrew setup has improved.

I had my Wii Storage device connected to the correct USB port as you showed above. I moved my Wii U storage device to a USB port on the front of the console. Hopefully, at the very least, these corrections have eliminated a contributing factor towards my problem.

I also installed Aroma--I wasn't actually aware of this development in the Wii U hacking scene, so thank you for bringing it to my attention. I am now not using UStealth anymore, as I was able to use Aroma to hide the format dialogue like you suggested.

I'll try to look into this "path bug," too. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this phrase, but I imagine something on my end in my setup must be causing this bug--given that no one else seems to have encountered this issue.

Thank you for your help!

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's suprising to hear from the currentsoftware developer of USB Loader GX. Thank you for making such a great application--it's helped me get a whole lot more usage out of my Wii U in its post-support era.
You're welcome :)

I'll try to look into this "path bug," too. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this phrase, but I imagine something on my end in my setup must be causing this bug--given that no one else seems to have encountered this issue.
You could try using my previous release, which might work around the issue until I release the next update. But you'd need to delete the entire usbloader_gx directory for it to work without crashing.

If you still experience issues then just let me know.

Technocality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're welcome :)

You could try using my previous release, which might work around the issue until I release the next update. But you'd need to delete the entire usbloader_gx directory for it to work without crashing.

If you still experience issues then just let me know.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I tried the previous release you suggested, and had the same issue. I think I'll try to review the setup guide for USB Loader GX again. While I believe I followed it correctly--and I have double-checked it before, perhaps it's possible there's something I missed or may have gotten wrong in the setup.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto