Hacking Discussion Team Xecuter Switch SX

D

Deleted User

Well, this is just a dongle that injects a fusee/shoeFL2 payload. What's impressive is that they managed to load games.

Which BTW is already possible with the current public stuff we have, it's just a matter of someone releasing their work early.
Do you think that public home brew can come to a point where there’s no RCM jigs or computers needed?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They may be having to price low though here because of the reswitched competition. I don't think gateway had any CFW competition at the time. Could be wrong though (hope not, 30 is a steal, almost litteraly)
well, when I bought my gateway, it had competition, not in cfw, but sky3ds is still competition :P

Reactions: Risingdawn

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The risk is paying for something that could be possible for absolutely free within a matter of months.

How much is 'right now' worth..
Not very much. But. :)

It is also the one solution where people

- do not have to know what firmware they are on
- can play games they bought online with their friends (potentially)
- dont have to pay for a modchip install
- that is "plug and play"
- and portable
(But must be recharged.. ;) )

If they know what they have on their hands, they'll also try to protect it. They can patch i HBL functionality with little effort after they know how Atmosphere will handle it, and what the HB scene standardizes on.

To them, this is gold.

A "modthingy", that they can sell directly to the consumer, that the consumer needs frequently to run their CFW, and that is just complex enough (HW SW interaction), that they'll have a headstart over clonemakers. If they lock out Atmosphere or Linux - clones will surface, that allow those (probably).

Next step, battery sleeves with that active dongle sleeve embedded. They will make money.

edit:

They start preorders Saturday for $29.95 according to their distributor.

Correction, they will make much money. :)

I'll personally still take a wait and see approach - because I'm more interested in what Atmosphere has to offer, but something like this will be "it" - for most people.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: scroeffie

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No I understand, but why is that wrong? I'm not trying to convince you either. I seek to understand. People make stuff -> they can charge for it, for people who are willing to buy. I don't see that as inherently bad if they're not stealing pieces of their code from other places and not honoring licenses.

It's not a mater of asking money for something, but asking money from something that will be free, and which is intended just for loading games copies. And not as a matter of being legal or not. Probably this is a matter of perception and we will never agree, as we see this from different perspectives. But oversimplifying, I will never pay money for a WindowBreaker 2000(TM) when I can do the same with a brick. And I will never complain about the guys making bricks, but I will see wrong people making and selling the WindowBreaker 2000(TM). Even if they can be used for the same (breaking into a house and take whatever you want from it), the intention of making one or the another are different, as it is the price.

Last edited by realjumy,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

But then bare in mind that the dongle is untethered and providing a payload, so clearly it must have storage to carry this payload. Also, there would need to be a way for us to update the payload within when new versions of the CFW are made. So I'd assume that the dongle has to have storage. Whether its built in or uses its own microSD card, we don't know.
What's worth noting is that this CFW payload from the looks of it seems like (AFAIK) the most developed payload out there compared to things like Atmosphere. They've could've possibly figured out how to access data from the USB type C port.
Now that I think of it, what we could be looking at is something where there's a bunch of game backups stored in the dongle and the CFW is redirecting the cartridge drive to the USB type C port. This is basically how the Sky3DS+ works, where you have a microSD card full of ROMs that the Sky3DS+ mounts as a legit cart and then switches between them via that orange button.
Er... I think that you could be right on the storage on the dongle - there seems to be some sort of hole on the bottom that could possibly update it. But I don’t think that that’s where the games are stored - because they take it out right away and it would take a longer time for the CFW to boot.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah you're not wrong, although Sky was also similarly priced I think wasn't it? and could only hold a few games initially.

Argh now you have me doubting the price lol :P
yes, sky3ds had a similar price as well
That'S why I took Gateway, because it was the same price and better (for my FW)

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I laugh at people thinking $30 is too much to pay for an upgradeable, coldboot dongle. Even if you only plan to use the scene's tools and not TX stuff AT ALL (provided it allows so), the price is more than right. After all the tools they need are dead basic, it is the code that is in there that makes this great right now. I commented a few days ago about how making a dongle is pretty easy with all the soacs and micro cpus flying around so even if you plan to only use it as hardware it is STILL a very valid and honest purchase, even if you do not give a rat's ass about TX.

In case tools come out to make your own or the scene open sources one (much like the RCM jib for example) it would STILL cost you the same if not more. And if it cost less, it would be by such a small margin that would not be worth spending the time doing unless you have something to prove, you do not care about your free time or you got the parts already.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not very much. But. :)

It is also the one solution where people

- do not have to know what firmware they are on
- can play games they bought online with their friends (potentially)
- dont have to pay for a modchip install
- that is "plug and play"
- and portable
(But must be recharged.. ;) )

If they know what they have on their hands, they'll also try to protect it. They can patch i HBL functionality with little effort after they know how Atmosphere will handle it, and what the HB scene standardizes on.

To them, this is gold.

A "modthingy", that they can sell directly to the consumer, that the consumer needs frequently to run their CFW, and that is just complex enough (HW SW interaction), that they'll have a headstart over clonemakers. If they lock out Atmosphere or Linux - clones will surface, that allow those (probably).

Next step, battery sleeves with that active dongle sleeve embedded. They will make money.
Agreed, if it really is 29.99 they've sold me on it; the ease of a non tethered solution is, for me worth that price, and I'm confident enough to use most hacks that have had, what one might consider, non user friendly means.

This seems like a really great solution to the current tethering problem if you ask me.

Last edited by Risingdawn,

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I laugh at people thinking $30 is too much to pay for an upgradeable, coldboot dongle. Even if you only plan to use the scene's tools and not TX stuff AT ALL (provided it allows so), the price is more than right. After all the tools they need are dead basic, it is the code that is in there that makes this great right now. I commented a few days ago about how making a dongle is pretty easy with all the soacs and micro cpus flying around so even if you plan to only use it as hardware it is STILL a very valid and honest purchase, even if you do not give a rat's ass about TX.

In case tools come out to make your own or the scene open sources one (much like the RCM jib for example) it would STILL cost you the same if not more. And if it cost less, it would be by such a small margin that would not be worth spending the time doing unless you have something to prove, you do not care about your free time or you got the parts already.
The price is not the problem. It's a good price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...