• Replies 1,671

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bahamut920 said:
metroid4life14 said:
It definitely does not take a month for 5% hacking and 50% proofreading...
I'm not sure if you're saying that a month is an overestimation or an underestimation, but the percentages may be deceptive. Keep in mind that Tales of Innocence is a roleplaying game, which means that it probably has at least as much text as the typical 300-page fiction novel, if not more, considering all the skits, sidequests, the main story, alternate dialogue depending on whom you have in your active party, etc. The rest of the proofreading alone could take that month. And as for hacking, I assume that the game being "95% hacked" means that most if not all of the major stuff is done, but if they run up against a difficult problem that could easily eat a few weeks or a month. Keep in mind that this project was announced in 2008; it's taken the better part of two years to get this far. Also, consider that the people working on this may have other demands on their time, and probably cannot work on ToI every minute of every day. The best thing you can do is be patient, and allow throughhim and Gemini to finish their work at their own pace.
In no way was I saying that I am unsatisfied with the pace the patch is moving along. I agree that they should have lives and move at their own pace. I was just pointing out that at the rate the patch has been moving along, it will not take a month to move into beta testing. Just my opinion, I don't see what the big deal is.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metroid4life14 said:
bahamut920 said:
metroid4life14 said:
I'm not sure if you're saying that a month is an overestimation or an underestimation, but the percentages may be deceptive. Keep in mind that Tales of Innocence is a roleplaying game, which means that it probably has at least as much text as the typical 300-page fiction novel, if not more, considering all the skits, sidequests, the main story, alternate dialogue depending on whom you have in your active party, etc. The rest of the proofreading alone could take that month. And as for hacking, I assume that the game being "95% hacked" means that most if not all of the major stuff is done, but if they run up against a difficult problem that could easily eat a few weeks or a month. Keep in mind that this project was announced in 2008; it's taken the better part of two years to get this far. Also, consider that the people working on this may have other demands on their time, and probably cannot work on ToI every minute of every day. The best thing you can do is be patient, and allow throughhim and Gemini to finish their work at their own pace.
In no way was I saying that I am unsatisfied with the pace the patch is moving along. I agree that they should have lives and move at their own pace. I was just pointing out that at the rate the patch has been moving along, it will not take a month to move into beta testing. Just my opinion, I don't see what the big deal is.

I'd say give it a try and see how you progress, faster, slower, or at the same pace. The best you can do is support them.

miss_DSlite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
metroid4life14 said:
bahamut920 said:
metroid4life14 said:

I'd say give it a try and see how you progress, faster, slower, or at the same pace. The best you can do is support them.

this ^

Maverick_z

When did i join again??
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tales games are usually long so its not suprising that it should have way more than 400 pages of text considering the dialogue and number of skits combined

D

Deleted-134647

OP
bahamut920 said:
The best thing you can do is be patient, and allow throughhim and Gemini to finish their work at their own pace.
I worked on Tales of Phantasia with Gemini. I'm working on Tales of Innocence with Kingcom. I just want to make sure we give credit where credit is due.
happy.gif

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
throughhim413 said:
bahamut920 said:
The best thing you can do is be patient, and allow throughhim and Gemini to finish their work at their own pace.
I worked on Tales of Phantasia with Gemini. I'm working on Tales of Innocence with Kingcom. I just want to make sure we give credit where credit is due.
happy.gif

Oh yeah Kingcom and his work on ToI and Xenosaga 1 & 2 !

I'm happy to see these two translate ^^

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
You’re right. Ridiculous. It has WAY more text than a typical 300 page novel. The Fatal Frame 4 translation I did had 422 pages of text, and it was only a 4-12 hour game.

worlok375 said:
bahamut920 said:
it probably has at least as much text as the typical 300-page fiction novel, if not more,

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3717284

Nuff said.

Only helping my point, guys...
tongue.gif
And I did say "at least" and "if not more" in there.

QUOTE(throughhim413 @ Mar 8 2010, 04:30 PM) QUOTE(bahamut920 @ Mar 7 2010, 06:35 PM)
happy.gif
I swear I'll learn who's who around here someday...

gordunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the Skits alone constitute a 300 page novel by themselves...then throw in a reasonably long main plot, plus side quests, NPC dialogue, menus, etc. you're probably looking at 1000+ paperback book pages...xD

FehnrirX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just want to know. What is the "hacking" part of this project? I though translating is just modifying the script files on this game. It's alright if you don't want to answer it. It just my curiosity.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
FehnrirX said:
Just want to know. What is the "hacking" part of this project? I though translating is just modifying the script files on this game. It's alright if you don't want to answer it. It just my curiosity.

Translating is only for the script as text. Hacking is putting it back to the game (correct pointers, files etc). they also are adding subs to the videos and changing/adding options inside the game.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
To make a metaphor, if translating was akin to translating the text of a book, hacking would be choosing the font and metrics, setting the margins, making sure the words don’t run off the page, putting in the Chapter titles and making sure the pages end at the right spots, choosing the paper, printing the text onto the manuscripts, collecting the binding materials, binding the book, and setting up a distribution method for the published work.

Yeah. Hacking covers a ton of stuff behind the scenes that all needs to be done so that the final product looks like a final product.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY