Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guild McCommunist said:
MG4M3R said:
I can't imagine what Namco was thinking when they decided not bring the game to the West.
The DS has too many RPGs, but it also means that there is a large audience for it, and an RPG of this size would certainly stand out...

Tales was never a strong series in the US. We've had releases here but it's never been as popular as it is in Japan. It would be illogical for Namco to constantly release games that aren't selling well here, especially when they've got a strong enough fanbase in Japan. A few weaboos and Tales fanboys won't start a localization.

On the other hand, great translation teams can practically unofficially localize it
smile.gif

Sadly great games like this do not sell well close to everywhere on the world -.-V

Here in Germany most of the ppl i talk to never heard of any Tales of Game while i say everyone who didn't at least play one tales of gane (like Tales of Phantasia, which i assume is the most popular one) is no real gamer.

Tales of is the best game series ever !

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Youkai said:
Guild McCommunist said:
MG4M3R said:
I can't imagine what Namco was thinking when they decided not bring the game to the West.
The DS has too many RPGs, but it also means that there is a large audience for it, and an RPG of this size would certainly stand out...

Tales was never a strong series in the US. We've had releases here but it's never been as popular as it is in Japan. It would be illogical for Namco to constantly release games that aren't selling well here, especially when they've got a strong enough fanbase in Japan. A few weaboos and Tales fanboys won't start a localization.

On the other hand, great translation teams can practically unofficially localize it
smile.gif

Sadly great games like this do not sell well close to everywhere on the world -.-V

Here in Germany most of the ppl i talk to never heard of any Tales of Game while i say everyone who didn't at least play one tales of gane (like Tales of Phantasia, which i assume is the most popular one) is no real gamer.

Tales of is the best game series ever !

Here in Brazil, the most famous one is Tales of Symphonia for Game Cube.
Some people also know some games for PS2 and Vesperia (X360), but they knowledge don't surpass this...

D

Deleted-134647

OP
metroid4life14 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I know Chinese (the written language is almost identical to Japanese in many cases) and written characters are much easier to read backwards than English words. This is because a character is "equivalent" to an entire word, not a letter. So it you wanted to have it backwards, the best method would be to have the letters in every word go form left to right, but then have the arrangement of the words go from right to left.
Japanese characters are seldom equivalent to a whole word and apart from borrowed kanji (whose usage differs quite a bit from Chinese), the languages really have little in common. Japanese is phonetic, so reading it is easier than English, but reversing the order of the sentence like this screws with the syllables. In other words, to a Japanese person listening to it, it's total nonsense even if it is easy enough to read. It'll be easier to give an example than to try and explain it.

ATTAMIJAHAHIRA TAGONOMARAKIKOTA - This is what appears in the booklet and what is sung
ATOKIKARAMONOGATARIHAHAJIMATTA - Reversed letter-by-letter
Atta toki kara monogatari ha hajimatta - Separated into words (The atta at the beginning continues from the previous line)
Our tale began the moment we met - Translated
TEM EW TNEMOM EHT NAGEB ELAT RUO - Reversed for the final subs

The entire line is inverted and reversing the words but not the order would make even less sense.

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, you meant that the song is sung phonetically backwards. i thought just the words were reversed...

Either way, it will be easier to read if the words were written from left to right, but considering that the japanese backwards would not even be understood in japan, the actual words in the song probably aren't that important anyways.

In that case, I'm probably just making a big deal about something insignificant.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
throughhim413 said:
Japanese characters are seldom equivalent to a whole word and apart from borrowed kanji (whose usage differs quite a bit from Chinese), the languages really have little in common. Japanese is phonetic, so reading it is easier than English, but reversing the order of the sentence like this screws with the syllables. In other words, to a Japanese person listening to it, it's total nonsense even if it is easy enough to read. It'll be easier to give an example than to try and explain it.

ATTAMIJAHAHIRA TAGONOMARAKIKOTA - This is what appears in the booklet and what is sung
ATOKIKARAMONOGATARIHAHAJIMATTA - Reversed letter-by-letter
Atta toki kara monogatari ha hajimatta - Separated into words (The atta at the beginning continues from the previous line)
Our tale began the moment we met - Translated

The entire line is inverted and reversing the words but not the order would make even less sense.

I caught the subject in the middle, but thanks for the explanation o.o

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
throughhim413 said:
This is easy enough to read, and also allows the player to understand that the song is abnormal, so I agree that it's the best solution.

SectionX

Trophies
XP
Country

don_eno

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i didn't know there were two teams translating this. if they combine their skills the translation will finish much faster.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don_eno said:
i didn't know there were two teams translating this. if they combine their skills the translation will finish much faster.
Unfortunately, that has been discussed before, and it seems both parties have differing methods of translating the game. Or something.

Now, let's get back on topic.

QUOTE(Hisiru @ Jan 4 2010, 02:16 PM) I wonder how long the game is, anyone knows about that? Is it more than 40 hours?
I'd hazard a guess at about 40 hours if you just run through the main story with minimal grinding, and upwards of 60 if you want to do everything.

Hisiru

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
bahamut920 said:
Hisiru said:
I wonder how long the game is, anyone knows about that? Is it more than 40 hours?
I'd hazard a guess at about 40 hours if you just run through the main story with minimal grinding, and upwards of 60 if you want to do everything.

I see, thank you for answering! It seems that I will have to stop playing one of the games that I am playing now and give more attention to ToI.

Pioggia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It isn't over 40 hours long, i completed the game the game last year and it took 29 hours and i don't even know how much i missed :S
Anyway, keep up the good work guys!! It's looking brilliant!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme