Switch OLED teardown V1/V2

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Inconclusive, but certainly not great. Can you desolder the wire from the modchip and then measure at the wire end?

kerelenko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's good looking flex. So no need to solder even the 3.3v point on the capacitor? Hopefully, another alt for CLK can be found. That's really the most difficult part of the entire mod.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good looking flex. So no need to solder even the 3.3v point on the capacitor? Hopefully, another alt for CLK can be found. That's really the most difficult part of the entire mod.
That's very unlikely - the only other alt point for CLK is under the eMMC, so we can count overselfs VERY lucky, that CLK is at least exposed on the mainboard :D

I realy wish, they would consider / look at my idea here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-oled-teardown-v1-v2.600550/page-14#post-9641007

This way they can route DAT0, CLK, CMD and 3v3 from under the eMMC out with a flex cable.
You would only need to solder 1 wire (NRST), which is on the same side as the eMMC - this wire could be piggybacked to the flex cable, similar to their method.

Interesting times nontheless - we are approcainh clean installs :D

Torus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
That's very unlikely - the only other alt point for CLK is under the eMMC, so we can count overselfs VERY lucky, that CLK is at least exposed on the mainboard :D

I realy wish, they would consider / look at my idea here:

This way they can route DAT0, CLK, CMD and 3v3 from under the eMMC out with a flex cable.
You would only need to solder 1 wire (NRST), which is on the same side as the eMMC - this wire could be piggybacked to the flex cable, similar to their method.

Interesting times nontheless - we are approcainh clean installs :D
When you say Under the eMMC do you mean under the BGA package?

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say Under the eMMC do you mean under the BGA package?
Yes - balika011 made a diagram:

1640185162558.png

Reactions: Torus

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've done a few by now and while initially I believed in the merit of a sandwich solution, I no longer feel that way. Shoving the DAT0 adapter under + scraping off the CLK signal takes much less time than removing the eMMC and reattaching it, either by reballing or deadbugging; 19 wires is significantly more than the rest of the entire install. Cutting the SoC shield, scraping with fiberglass or grinding pen, and then running wires + tacking them down can be done pretty quickly.

Bizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New Switch OLED SX lite Core C D0 adapter enhanced version:

I have watched this several times and am still a bit confused. Ive ordered a couple of them from taobao so will have look when they turn up.

This carries over the D0,3v3 and GND from the MMC but as I see it you still need to solder the CMD, CLK and RST to the ribbon on this side, I guess it will make the install neater though? I thought you had to put the 3v3 and GND through the capacitor slot on the side of the SXlite, can you put it through the top ribbon cable?

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As long as there's an electrical connection it will likely work fine. Regardless, tapping the DC supply from a nicely decoupled capacitor which additionally gives pretty good rigidity should be preferred. We are doing a very specific, super precisely timed voltage glitch on a modern SoC after all.

Excitedguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep reading that the diode reading for dat0 should be 500-700 but I keep getting around 820. Can someone give me some pointers or let me know if it's safe to solder mask it on and proceed?

uEpJS4J.jpg

GZmfytt.jpg

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Very most likely, yes. If you don't trust it, put tacky flux on the gold plated part of your adapter and use hot air to on the memory to reflow the bga ball onto the adapter for a guaranteed perfect connection. You can also decide to do this later on and leave it be for now, or only put the solder mask on after having tested it.

Mena

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep reading that the diode reading for dat0 should be 500-700 but I keep getting around 820. Can someone give me some pointers or let me know if it's safe to solder mask it on and proceed?

uEpJS4J.jpg

GZmfytt.jpg
This is fine. The variance is pretty large. Almost all my OLEDs have been 850~

Reactions: heinrich_frei

Excitedguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I decided to give up, since I was soldering the first wire to the 3.3v point near the emmc chip and the entire thing came off and I struggled to try and put it back it to the point to where I lost it somewhere and can't find it. Strangely enough, I put everything back together and it still works without it (though I don't know how safe it is to keep using with it missing now). I'll try and find a pro to put in for me, sigh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday