Switch OLED teardown V1/V2

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Was hoping to do an easy motherboard swap from the V1 unit.
But there are a few changes internally from the video :'(

These are the ones i noted

1633007988328.png

1633007590911.png

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow didnt realize the redbox was so different from the V0, yeah thats not looking like an easy frankenstein, and I would guess it would have a different screen ribbon..

Reactions: Guggimon

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch OLED body is larger than previous models. How can the old MB be too big?
sure the case is a bit bigger but the layout is totally rearranged. You can clearly see they have extra room for the big stand hinges and a much bigger sub-board on the right, also looks like emmc is integrated now too so no XS mod-chip possible..

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch OLED body is larger than previous models. How can the old MB be too big?

Take a closer look, the newer OLED Model is shifted to the left and the older model is shifted to the right to compare the battery and other component location, from where the battery is, the board is shorter on the OLED.

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'd get rid of the big stand and hammer the old MB into the new body. :D

The MB can sort of fit if modifications are made.
like If the hinges are removed, breaking some plastic pieces for the battery housing.
Not too sure how to get the microsd to move places, maybe can keep it internal somehow

But it all depends if V1 MB will even display on the OLED

1633011143186.png

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm, y'all have got me thinking now, or at least fantasising. Find some very clever electronics installer (I know a couple) and have them transfer all the internals or the minimum stuff across to the new OLED.

Wonder how that would mess with my internal trinket though.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
sure the case is a bit bigger but the layout is totally rearranged. You can clearly see they have extra room for the big stand hinges and a much bigger sub-board on the right, also looks like emmc is integrated now too so no XS mod-chip possible..
Emmc was soldered to the board on the lite, all we need to do is figure out the read and write pads. Worst case scenario is desoldering the nand, modifying it, then reballing it. Whether or not glitching works is another question.

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emmc was soldered to the board on the lite, all we need to do is figure out the read and write pads. Worst case scenario is desoldering the nand, modifying it, then reballing it. Whether or not glitching works is another question.

If glitching works a SX Lite approach will be needed since nand is soldered to board. Meanning Core or HWFLY wont work since nand module needs to clip in,

Hepklep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are we maybe thinking about this the wrong way? My personal goal is to fit the OLED screen to my V1 switch and I'm not really interested in the rest of the gubbins. So with that, my interest is mainly on the placement of the ribbon cable to the screen/digitiser and if they are the same connector. With that all that wold be needed is to take a dremel to the front facia or wait for an ebay special to come along. I'll be watching for teardowns of the coming weeks that are from someone more reliable that this youtuber.

grubgrub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Are we maybe thinking about this the wrong way? My personal goal is to fit the OLED screen to my V1 switch and I'm not really interested in the rest of the gubbins. So with that, my interest is mainly on the placement of the ribbon cable to the screen/digitiser and if they are the same connector. With that all that wold be needed is to take a dremel to the front facia or wait for an ebay special to come along. I'll be watching for teardowns of the coming weeks that are from someone more reliable that this youtuber.

The ribbon cable for the screen seems to fold in different directions in the OLED switch

1633049055054.png

1633049096144.png

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Sucks that NAND is perma soldered. The OLED would have been the weird fan's tricked out Switch. At least they fixed the SD card but made it probably harder to replace.

Goes back to a dream of a more portable dock with a power bank and a portable 15.6 1080p/4k monitor lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c