Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
@perfectlaklak If rentry guide is a bit complicated to you (since it doesn't really explain to you, the user, what you're doing), you can check these two guides as well: 1) https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/ (personally, I like this one the most) and 2) https://switch.homebrew.guide/ (also has a great amount of info provided to give you some additional insight in how things work on Switch). Along with the rentry guide, you'll have pretty much everything you need to know in order to hack and maintain your unpatched Switch. There are a few things that they might not mention, though, so I'll quickly go through them just in case.

When updating firmware, you don't need to update your sysNAND (i.e. where your original / stock firmware is) in order to dump firmware files from it in order to update the firmware on your emuNAND - you can find files on a certain site we aren't allowed to link here (quick Google search is all it takes to find it). Just download the files and extract them to your SD card in a folder that you'll easily find once you launch Daybreak on your emuNAND.

For game backups to work, make sure to get the latest sigpatches and/or sys-patch module (which requires Tesla + nx-ovlloader) as well. Sigpatches are supported for the firmware and Atmosphere version mentioned in the first post and they work for all the previous versions as well. Never update your emuNAND unless Hekate, Atmosphere and sigpatches are updated to work on a latest firmware.
For installing games to my Switch, I personally use DBI Installer, sthetix made a great video explaining its features and how to use it.
Make sure to set up DNS MITM in order to block Nintendo servers so that you can avoid getting your console banned as much as possible.

Good luck and have fun playing on your Switch!

perfectlaklak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good luck and have fun playing on your Switch!
Thank you so much! It is really a good help. My switch and jig is gonna be here soon (in two days) and I will work on it as soon as I have them. Will let you know here about the result! (hopefully no any bad news)

Just three things I am wondering. (to understand more before modding my switch)
First is the serial number (I bought a used V1 switch and it is unpatched - based on Is My Switch Patched?), how would the chance of being a fake "unpatched" switch? Because the serial number is XAJ700695XXX (the website states that it is unpatched but the possible firmware version is unknown)

Second thing is the DBI thing. My friend actually told me this last night and I saw some websites have xci and nsp (some said the formats do not matter much). However, I do notice that they usually come with three files (base + dlc + update). On the YT video you mentioned, it does not say if I need to select the dlc or update in order to install them.

the last thing is the "DNS MITM" you mentioned. While I will do the setup, I am wondering if I would be banned even if I do not connect my switch to my wifi

Once again, thanks a lot!

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
First is the serial number (I bought a used V1 switch and it is unpatched - based on Is My Switch Patched?), how would the chance of being a fake "unpatched" switch? Because the serial number is XAJ700695XXX (the website states that it is unpatched but the possible firmware version is unknown)
Is the serial number correct? No additional 0? Because XAJ700695 is definitely patched, while XAJ7000695 isn't.

1707945013352.png

1707944995770.png

I really hope that it's just a typo, seeing that you probably typed in as many digits as possible.
Firmware version doesn't matter as far as console is the unpatched (i.e. Erista) model, so don't worry about that.
Second thing is the DBI thing. My friend actually told me this last night and I saw some websites have xci and nsp (some said the formats do not matter much). However, I do notice that they usually come with three files (base + dlc + update). On the YT video you mentioned, it does not say if I need to select the dlc or update in order to install them.
Nintendo Submission Package or NSP is either a dump of an installed title or a homebrew package that can be installed.
NX Card Image or XCI is a dump from a Nintendo Switch cartridge.
For more on Switch terminology, check here.

In order to install updates and DLC, as long as you select them in DBI along with the base game, they'll be installed correctly, so you don't have to worry about them. I've never installed updates and DLC without game, but I think that works as well, the only difference being is that Switch will tell you that the base game is missing and needs to be downloaded or something.

For updates you should usually go for the latest version available. Go for an older if you have a good reason to, like an exploit being patched in newer version(s) or if the latest version of update is not supported on the latest version of custom firmware installed on your Switch.
As far as DLCs go, some games don't have them, while the others have one or more.

the last thing is the "DNS MITM" you mentioned. While I will do the setup, I am wondering if I would be banned even if I do not connect my switch to my wifi
If I remember correctly, your console is being sold as not hacked? If so, once it arrives you should be able to connect it to the Internet and try acccessing Nintendo eShop, News and alike. If successful, you'll know for sure that your console isn't banned. Otherwise, it's already banned and there's nothing much you can do about it. Even if banned, you'll still be able to use it for homebrew apps and game backups.

Check this guide on how to avoid getting banned.

During setup, unless you intentionally connect to the Internet before you set up DNS MITM, you'll be alright. Before you create an emuNAND, make sure to delete all saved wireless connection settings on sysNAND i.e. stock / original firmware. That way your emuNAND won't have any wireless connection to connect to since you've already removed all connections on sysNAND before they even got a chance to copy over to emuNAND.

Keep in mind that there's always a chance that your console gets banned or flagged for ban, even with DNS MITM.

perfectlaklak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the serial number correct? No additional 0? Because XAJ700695 is definitely patched, while XAJ7000695 isn't.

I really hope that it's just a typo, seeing that you probably typed in as many digits as possible.
Firmware version doesn't matter as far as console is the unpatched (i.e. Erista) model, so don't worry about that.
Yes it is just a typo (is 000695).
Thanks for your detailed explanation!

Have not checked eshop yet (This is my first time having a switch and my friend got it from oversea for me which she will come back in two days).
-the switch is not hacked (but mod-able; at least that is what the seller said)

She checked everything for me before paying the switch to the seller:
-like the label and setting of the serial number (which they match),
-running a physical cartridge (ring fit in this case) and it works fine (she tested only for the tutorial mode or something)
-check the sd card slot (plugged in a 512gb and it shows on the setting)
-controller (joycon)
-firmware (17.0.1)
-connecting wifi (she used a iphone hotspot, but have not tried the eshop - will do it later today)

Let's say the worst scenario is that the switch is banned, am I still able to mod it (like installing game, dlc, update, connected to Bluetooth controller or something)? I really do not care much about going online for gaming (even without accessing website is fine for me as long as I can play the latest game offline and other features are working as expected, such as Bluetooth, HDMI..)

BTW, there is something about the mod process I would like to ask. My friend tried to help me out but I would not be in his country so he told me to use github - "ShallowSea - The AIO CFW package for the Nintendo Switch with Atmosphere" (someone from Hong Kong makes a all-in-one package). I think it is legit since he also used this one as well. However, this package is more like for people who have RCM loader (which I would only use a jig). He said I can use TegraRcmGUI to replace rcmloader.

I checked few different YT videos and the method of using TegraRCMGUI is basically injecting payload and this github guide states that I only need to inject payload.bin (you might find it if you open his folder). You may check it out and see how it works (because it includes the basic setup I need, like up-to-date atmosphere with sigpatch; latest hekate, (Ban protection) Incognito & 90dns host applied on both sysnand and emuMMC and so on)

Thanks for your help and so sorry that I keep asking different questions. I was interested getting a switch since it released but the mod at that time seems so complicated to me so I gave up. But this time my family wants to play it so I decide to try it again.

Reactions: Blythe93

Azramys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
Please what's the proper complete accurate procedure of Sd Card Preparation for a Mariko oled switch ...
Secondly how can i dump my eshop games on the sd card...
Thirdly how can i recover my games because i think i messed up while trying to reinstall Atmosphere???

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
She checked everything for me before paying the switch to the seller:
-like the label and setting of the serial number (which they match),
-running a physical cartridge (ring fit in this case) and it works fine (she tested only for the tutorial mode or something)
-check the sd card slot (plugged in a 512gb and it shows on the setting)
-controller (joycon)
-firmware (17.0.1)
-connecting wifi (she used a iphone hotspot, but have not tried the eshop - will do it later today)
That's what I would do as well, other than being nitpicky about esthetics. :D

Let's say the worst scenario is that the switch is banned, am I still able to mod it (like installing game, dlc, update, connected to Bluetooth controller or something)? I really do not care much about going online for gaming (even without accessing website is fine for me as long as I can play the latest game offline and other features are working as expected, such as Bluetooth, HDMI..)
If you console is banned, you won't be able to access some of the online gaming features, eShop and alike. Only thing that's unaffected by it is being able to update your console's firmware. Installing games, updates and DLC will be limited to the unofficial installers, like DBI Installer that I've mentioned above. Bluetooth, HDMI and everything else will still work as usual.

Another great thing that will still work is local multiplayer. It's safe to connect to another hacked console for local multiplayer sessions (I play Animal Crossing: New Horizons with my girlfriend all the time, both of us have modded Switches), but I'm not sure about unmodded ones. Doing things like getting rare in-game items through cheats on a modded console in order to give it to another person who has unmodded Switch is most likely not a good idea for the unmodded Switch. I'm no expert about it so I can't really comment what you can and what you can not do.

BTW, there is something about the mod process I would like to ask. My friend tried to help me out but I would not be in his country so he told me to use github - "ShallowSea - The AIO CFW package for the Nintendo Switch with Atmosphere" (someone from Hong Kong makes a all-in-one package). I think it is legit since he also used this one as well. However, this package is more like for people who have RCM loader (which I would only use a jig). He said I can use TegraRcmGUI to replace rcmloader.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend those AIO CFW packages as they may cause problems from time to time, making it somwhat hard to find the culprit among all the things they include in their packs. My suggestion is to follow either one of the three previously linked guides and get familiar what each and every app does and where their files go. It will make your life easier as the time goes and homebrew applications receive updates.

TegraRcmGUI is a Windows app that allows you to send payloads to your Switch. It's a very good alternative to RCM Loader, especially with all the clones floating around on AliExpress and other websites. Here you can find some other decent alterantives. I personally use Rekado on my Android phone in order to send paylaods to my Switch and it works just as good as all the other options out there.

I checked few different YT videos and the method of using TegraRCMGUI is basically injecting payload and this github guide states that I only need to inject payload.bin (you might find it if you open his folder). You may check it out and see how it works (because it includes the basic setup I need, like up-to-date atmosphere with sigpatch; latest hekate, (Ban protection) Incognito & 90dns host applied on both sysnand and emuMMC and so on)
That's the thing with all those all-in-one packs: they do their best to set everything up so that the end user has as least as possible work to do in order to run a fully configured CFW. Troubleshooting issues afterwards might be a bit harder, though and therefore I'd still suggest going through all those three guides to gather some basic knowledge on how things work on Switch. Take your time, take it easy.

However, if you want to jump right in without going through that much of a hustle, just follow what I've posted here and you'll be good.
Thanks for your help and so sorry that I keep asking different questions. I was interested getting a switch since it released but the mod at that time seems so complicated to me so I gave up. But this time my family wants to play it so I decide to try it again.
You're welcome! I try to help out if I can, mainly with smaller problems people have with their Switches. Troubleshooting more complicated issues is harder for me due to not having enough experience and proper understanding to do so, so I learn a thing or two every now and then from the other regulars on the Switch hacking forum here.

I hope youand your family have a great time playing games on your Swtich! Despite having not-so-great hardware specs, Switch is definitely one of my favorite consoles due to all the good games it received over the years.
Post automatically merged:

Please what's the proper complete accurate procedure of Sd Card Preparation for a Mariko oled switch ...
Here's a decent guide for both sysNAND and emuNAND setup.
Secondly how can i dump my eshop games on the sd card...
You can check this guide. sthetix made a good video about it which you can find here.

Last edited by Blythe93,

perfectlaklak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're welcome! I try to help out if I can, mainly with smaller problems people have with their Switches. Troubleshooting more complicated issues is harder for me due to not having enough experience and proper understanding to do so, so I learn a thing or two every now and then from the other regulars on the Switch hacking forum here.

I hope youand your family have a great time playing games on your Swtich! Despite having not-so-great hardware specs, Switch is definitely one of my favorite consoles due to all the good games it received over the years.
Thanks impressive! Your explanation is so clear! Hopefully there would not be any problem with modding my switch haha. (I will let you know soon~)

Yea, I do like switch given that it has so many games that other consoles or pc cannot play (I am a pc player so it is painful to see some games that are on switch but not on pc like pokemon and mario). Another thing is that modded switch could save me tons of money (persona 5 royal would be the one).
Switch is more family/party based and it is so good for my family, as least there are so many games I can play them, like ring fit, sports and so on

Reactions: Blythe93

Pyrate02

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I have another question - I had my Switch modded by Modzilla and I used his instructions to install SXOS. I installed emunand and the Switch boots automatically into Emunand. I have tried following several guides to upgrade to Atmosphere (I'm pretty sure some games wont work because I cannot update on SXOS) but I am unable to do it. If anyone has experience with this issue, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have another question - I had my Switch modded by Modzilla and I used his instructions to install SXOS. I installed emunand and the Switch boots automatically into Emunand. I have tried following several guides to upgrade to Atmosphere (I'm pretty sure some games wont work because I cannot update on SXOS) but I am unable to do it. If anyone has experience with this issue, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SX OS only support up to firmware 11.0.1, some games can be patched to run on firmware 11.0.1, for newer games you would need Atmosphere.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

Thanks
As @Hayato213 said, SX OS is pretty outdated nowadays and Atmosphere is the only up-to-date CFW around. You can check this guide if you want to migrate from SX OS to Atmosphere.

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I'm fairly new to Switch hacking. I just got my Mariko Switch modded with HWFly, using Hekate. I didn't ask the modder to install any stuff but they did. I had Tinfoil on my SysNAND. I created an emuNAND and disabled internet on it. Somehow they blocked all the internet connection to Nintendo servers, I guess to prevent a ban. I've tried to meddle around but failed to find a relevant setting.

I've got 3 questions:

How do I enable connection to eshop?
Would I be banned if I did?
Is Using 90 DNS on emuNAND safe in order to use Tinfoil?

Thanks in advance!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Can I update a Firmware and Atmosphere without ejectin SD card?

You can, you can move file to the sd card using hekate mount feature and update firmware via daybreak.

Hello, I'm fairly new to Switch hacking. I just got my Mariko Switch modded with HWFly, using Hekate. I didn't ask the modder to install any stuff but they did. I had Tinfoil on my sysnand. I created an emunand and disabled internet on it. Somehow they blocked all the internet connection to nintendo servers, I guess to prevent a ban. I've tried to meddle around but failed to find a relevant setting.

I've got 2 questions:

Thanks in advance!

You can't asks for tinfoil shops here, as for ban prevention, block server communications with DNSMITM

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I've got 2 questions:

If your sysNAND is "dirty", I would advise against connecting to the eshop as there's a chance your console will get banned. Especially if you have game backups, Tinfoil forwarder or similar installed to the sysNAND's home menu. Here's a good guide on how to avoid getting banned.

Reactions: Hayato213

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
If your sysNAND is "dirty", I would advise against connecting to the eshop as there's a chance your console will get banned. Especially if you have game backups, Tinfoil forwarder or similar installed to the sysNAND's home menu. Here's a good guide on how to avoid getting banned.
Thank you for the guide . Now I understand. Atmosphere uses the hosts file by default. They have obviously messed around with sysnand as it on boot it says CFW and tinfoil was installed on it.

You can, you can move file to the sd card using hekate mount feature and update firmware via daybreak.

You can't asks for tinfoil shops here, as for ban prevention, block server communications with DNSMITM

Do you mean I can't ask questions about it? If so, got it.

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country

Is it possible to return to stock while keeping hekate and "clean" it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof