Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

IAmTheDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all,

Got my unpatched v1 last week and all is well. Set it all up on a 128gb and got my head around how it all works. No issues.

With a 512gb, what is the recommended partition sizes for Android and Linux? Wanted to do a full SD from scratch to save messing about in the future.

emmc: 32gb
Android: 16gb? 32gb?
Linux: 16gb? 32gb?
HOS: <The remainder>

Lakka: Correct that it doesn't require a partition, just boots the files extracted on the FAT32 partition?

raphzthename

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never made a backup of my saves before firmware update so I'm not sure if that's a necessary step, but if it puts your mind at ease, sure do.
Updating your sysNAND firmware and dumping it afterwards so that you can update your emuNAND is one way of doing the update, probably a preferred one if you want to play games you own online on stock firmware. You should know that you can get firmware files from a certain website that we aren't allowed to link here (quick Google search is all it takes) as well and just update your emuNAND firmware via Daybreak.

With that said, whenever you're updating your firmware, always make sure that you uninstall the custom theme (if you have one, update Hekate and Atmosphere after that. followed by updating emuNAND's firmware via Daybreak. I'd also suggest getting the latest sigpatches and/or sys-patch module (which requires Tesla + nx-ovlloader) as well, as you'll need those for game backups to work. To block Nintendo servers, set up DNS MITM.

In case you've cleared your prodinfo sometime in the past, you'll need to undo it. Otherwise, Atmosphere will crash as soon as you connect to the Internet.

Thanks for the reply! Found some free time, so I'm going to attempt to update the CFW today. Just want to make sure I'm understanding all of the steps you listed. I already have Nintendo's servers blocked and my Switch is banned, so doesn't really matter either way.

1. Uninstall custom theme.
2. Update Hekate and Atmosphere.
3. Update emuNAND with Daybreak.
4. Update sigpatches.

Anything I'm missing?

Scheryna

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, is there a way to Watch Twitch on the Switch? The App form TInfoil keeps logging me out and stops strema after around 5-10minutes.

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using Nxtheme installer in non-applet mode to download and install themes. but after installing and rebooting none of the themes I've tried apply. I'm on emunand. what could be going wrong?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I already have Nintendo's servers blocked and my Switch is banned, so doesn't really matter either way.
I believe that, even if it's banned, your Switch can and will receive firmware updates so blocking Nintendo servers prevents your Switch from updating unintentionally as well.

1. Uninstall custom theme.
2. Update Hekate and Atmosphere.
3. Update emuNAND with Daybreak.
4. Update sigpatches.

Anything I'm missing?
If you've cleared your prodinfo sometime in the past, you'll need to undo it. Otherwise, Atmosphere will crash as soon as you connect to the Internet. Also, don't forget to update your fuse.bin payload. With that said, I believe that you're good to go. Here's a written guide if you need it (I recommend the PC method).

mikeshinoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can, you can move file to the sd card using hekate mount feature and update firmware via daybreak.
Post automatically merged:
Thanks for reply. Can I this same method to update Hekate too? Just I need to connect the device to the computer via hekate USB Tools and I replace files?

mikeshinoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok. I update a files and update a firmware to 17.0 via Daybreak. When I made reboot I was back to Hekate and I Lauch SYSMMC and I have a error
"Failed to apply 'nosigchk'!
Press POWER to continue
Pres Vol to go to the menu

EDIT
OK. Everything I fixed :)
I updated a sigpaches and I have another error
Then I need to go atmosphere/contents folder of your SD card and delete the folder that corresponds to this error message and try to boot again.

Last edited by mikeshinoda,
Reactions: Blythe93

perfectlaklak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys! This is me again. I received my jig and switch today and successfully mod it!!!! Everything works fine as expected but there are few issues I would like to understand.

I am using the latest DBI installer to install games (MTP Responder) and there are few things I am facing.

First, MTP responder did not read the cable everytime I plugged in (I tried so many times with different ports and cables). Sometime it works and sometimes not. I am using a laptop so I do not know if it affects the detection. FYI, MTP responder shows that I need to plug in the cable or press B to exit (and no “switch” drive on my laptop)

For injection payload, it works everytime, no need to have a second try - so the port and cable should be working fine.

Second, the transfer speed is so slow (on average 14mb/s). I am using usb 3.0 port and cable as well, but the MTP shows “actual speed: usb 2.0 high speed”. I changed ports and cables (I literally tried 5-6 cables lol) and it remains the same. FYI, I am using Sandisk ultra 512gb sd card

In a case like this, does it make sense? And if i want a faster speed, is there any alternative except DBI? (I did some research and there is one called Awoo. Is it good and safe?)

Last question (which I think should be the most important). After I installed the game, I can see some status on MTP responder, some games would be like “[Transfer ok] [Signature: ok]” which I believe it is a good sign!

HOWEVER, some status indicate

[Transfer ok] [Signature: Invalid] or

[Transfer ok] [Signature: XCI -> NSP],

When I check the game version, it is updated and I can successfully open the game and play (no error or crash, at least for now). So I am wondering if these types of signature would harm/destroy the game? Is that something I should worry about?

Sorry for asking so many questions~

Attachments

• IMG_7932.jpeg
    IMG_7932.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by perfectlaklak,

mikeshinoda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks, what's the best way to update emunand?
Yesterday I updated everything via Hekate and Daybreak
Via Hekate USB Tools add files (latest version Atmosphere, Hekate and Firmware 17.0)
When you add all files reload hekate in home menu and launch CFW
Open album and here open Daybreak and install firmware 17.0
Reboot and all

Reactions: Blythe93 and ganons

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks, what's the best way to update emunand?
Follow this guide in order to update your CFW (I recommend using the PC method) and follow this guide in order to update your emuNAND's firmware.

Few other things to keep in mind:
  • If you're using a custom theme, uninstall it before updating firmware. You can redownload it and reapply it once you're done.
  • If you've blanked your prodinfo in the past (i.e. used Incognito or similar), you'll need to restore it as the Atmosphere will crash on firmware 17.0.0+. Use DNS MITM instead in order to block Nintendo servers.
  • You don't need to dump firmware files from your sysNAND in order to update your emuNAND. Firmware files can be easily found on a certain site we aren't allowed to link to (a quick Google search is all it takes to find it) and, once you download and extract them, copy them over to the e.g. firmware folder on the root of the SD card (any name will do as long as you can easily find the files later on). Only after you update your CFW (i.e. Hekate and Atmosphere), proceed to update the emuNAND's firmware via Daybreak.
  • After updating your Hekate and Atmosphere to the latest versions, don't forget to update your fuse.bin and hekate_ctcaer_x.x.x.bin payloads.
  • Also, grab the latest sigpatches and/or sys-patch module (which requires Tesla + nx-ovlloader) because these are required for games to work.

First, MTP responder did not read the cable everytime I plugged in (I tried so many times with different ports and cables). Sometime it works and sometimes not. I am using a laptop so I do not know if it affects the detection. FYI, MTP responder shows that I need to plug in the cable or press B to exit (and no “switch” drive on my laptop)
Only issue I have with DBI on each and every first try is that it won't connect to the dbibackend.exe without installing the LIBUSBK driver with Zadig. I'm not sure if these are the correct steps, but give it a try:
  1. Connect the Switch to the PC.
  2. Run dbibackend.exe, select one of your games/updates/DLC files (just to test the connection between Switch and PC) and start the server.
  3. Run DBI on Switch and select "Install title from DBI backend". If it works, it works! If it doesn't work, proceed with the next step.
  4. Run Zadig.
  5. Hopefully, DBI will be listed in the dropdown menu (make sure that your start the server in dbibackend).
  6. If it's there, click on the install driver button (LIBUSBK driver should be selected).
  7. After that, you'll probably need to restart the server in dbibackend.exe and restart your DBI app on Switch. Hopefully, it should work fine from now on.
In case you can't make it work, I'll check once on PC and give you the correct steps. Good luck!
Second, the transfer speed is so slow (on average 14mb/s). I am using usb 3.0 port and cable as well, but the MTP shows “actual speed: usb 2.0 high speed”. I changed ports and cables (I literally tried 5-6 cables lol) and it remains the same. FYI, I am using Sandisk ultra 512gb sd card
I believe that you need to enable USB 3.0 support in Atmosphere's system_settings.ini file. You can find the template in the atmosphere/config_templates folder and you can copy it over to atmosphere/config folder instead. Un-comment this line: ; usb30_force_enabled = u8!0x0 (remove the semicolon) and change u8!0x0 to u8!0x1. If that doesn't work, try u8!0x0 instead as some people reported that it works the other way around for some reason.
In a case like this, does it make sense? And if i want a faster speed, is there any alternative except DBI? (I did some research and there is one called Awoo. Is it good and safe?)
It should be decent, yes. Sadly, I have no experience with it so I can't really help you out with it as I've been using DBI since the moment I got into Switch hacking scene.
Last question (which I think should be the most important). After I installed the game, I can see some status on MTP responder, some games would be like “[Transfer ok] [Signature: ok]” which I believe it is a good sign!

HOWEVER, some status indicate

[Transfer ok] [Signature: Invalid] or

[Transfer ok] [Signature: XCI -> NSP],

When I check the game version, it is updated and I can successfully open the game and play (no error or crash, at least for now). So I am wondering if these types of signature would harm/destroy the game? Is that something I should worry about?
Probably not if the source you've downloaded you NSP files can be trusted. The game works because there's probably nothing wrong with it. Those errors say that the file you've installed was tempered with, which is the usual thing when you do an XCI to NSP conversion, I guess. They can't pass the NCA verification. The other files you've installed passed the verification and should be as safe as they can be to be installed.

Last edited by Blythe93,

perfectlaklak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Follow this guide in order to update your CFW (I recommend using the PC method) and follow this guide in order to update your emuNAND's firmware.

Few other things to keep in mind:
  • If you're using a custom theme, uninstall it before updating firmware. You can redownload it and reapply it once you're done.
  • If you've blanked your prodinfo in the past (i.e. used Incognito or similar), you'll need to restore it as the Atmosphere will crash on firmware 17.0.0+. Use DNS MITM instead in order to block Nintendo servers.
  • You don't need to dump firmware files from your sysNAND in order to update your emuNAND. Firmware files can be easily found on a certain site we aren't allowed to link to (a quick Google search is all it takes to find it) and, once you download and extract them, copy them over to the e.g. firmware folder on the root of the SD card (any name will do as long as you can easily find the files later on). Only after you update your CFW (i.e. Hekate and Atmosphere), proceed to update the emuNAND's firmware via Daybreak.
  • After updating your Hekate and Atmosphere to the latest versions, don't forget to update your fuse.bin and hekate_ctcaer_x.x.x.bin payloads.
  • Also, grab the latest sigpatches and/or sys-patch module (which requires Tesla + nx-ovlloader) because these are required for games to work.

Only issue I have with DBI on each and every first try is that it won't connect to the dbibackend.exe without installing the LIBUSBK driver with Zadig. I'm not sure if these are the correct steps, but give it a try:
  1. Connect the Switch to the PC.
  2. Run dbibackend.exe, select one of your games/updates/DLC files (just to test the connection between Switch and PC) and start the server.
  3. Run DBI on Switch and select "Install title from DBI backend". If it works, it works! If it doesn't work, proceed with the next step.
  4. Run Zadig.
  5. Hopefully, DBI will be listed in the dropdown menu (make sure that your start the server in dbibackend).
  6. If it's there, click on the install driver button (LIBUSBK driver should be selected).
  7. After that, you'll probably need to restart the server in dbibackend.exe and restart your DBI app on Switch. Hopefully, it should work fine from now on.
In case you can't make it work, I'll check once on PC and give you the correct steps. Good luck!

I believe that you need to enable USB 3.0 support in Atmosphere's system_settings.ini file. You can find the template in the atmosphere/config_templates folder and you can copy it over to atmosphere/config folder instead. Un-comment this line: ; usb30_force_enabled = u8!0x0 (remove the semicolon) and change u8!0x0 to u8!0x1. If that doesn't work, try u8!0x0 instead as some people reported that it works the other way around for some reason.

It should be decent, yes. Sadly, I have no experience with it so I can't really help you out with it as I've been using DBI since the moment I got into Switch hacking scene.

Probably not if the source you've downloaded you NSP files can be trusted. The game works because there's probably nothing wrong with it. Those errors say that the file you've installed was tempered with, which is the usual thing when you do an XCI to NSP conversion, I guess. They can't pass the NCA verification. The other files you've installed passed the verification and should be as safe as they can be to be installed.
Thanks you so much for the response!
I will try them out tomorrow and see if things will improve!

enochlinux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That error appears with some of the games that try to connect to the Nintendo servers and fail, probably due to them being blocked.
Followed your tutorial - Thanks much! Animal crossing is still not launching (same error code), but I did archive it off my console then unlink my nintendo account. I'm going to try reinstalling the NSP. If that does not work, then... I don't know. :wacko:

Followed your tutorial - Thanks much! Animal crossing is still not launching (same error code), but I did archive it off my console then unlink my nintendo account. I'm going to try reinstalling the NSP. If that does not work, then... I don't know. :wacko:
OK. Um.
I was able to install 3 other games i had backups of, but whenever I try to install Animal Crossing my console freezes.

I tried installing to the SD card instead of the system. I have all the NSP on my SD card as well as my computer.

What do I do? Should I delete the original off the switch's "home screen" then reinstall? Should I be installing off my computer? That would be my guess... :wtf:

What do I do? Should I delete the original off the switch's "home screen" then reinstall? Should I be installing off my computer? That would be my guess... :wtf:
I tried deleting the soft. It just keeps freezing!!!

Last edited by enochlinux,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1