1. jonaaa113

jonaaa113 Newbie
    Newcomer

Afghanistan
    Hi people, can I update to the recent firmware using a game I installed via Goldleaf ? If so, should I do that while being in my cfw ReinX or while having the switch booted regularly? If I update online I am afraid my Switch gets banned (it never was online since I put cfw on it).

I know I can update offline using ChoiDujourNX, but since cfw is working on 8.1.0 I don't understand why I should care about burning a fuse? I there an explanation?

Thanks a lot!

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Fuse is for downgrade purpose, if you burn your fuse you can't downgrade and boot that fimrware without a bootloader.

3. jonaaa113

jonaaa113 Newbie
    Newcomer

Afghanistan
    Okay thanks, but why would I want to downgrade? I mean cfw is running on 8.1.0, so what's the point?

And can I update via game or not?

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Much easier if you just use ChoidujourNX if you want to update, if you don't care about fuse count, just turn autoRCM off, some people want to go back to lower firmware in the future so they preserved their fuse, possible more exploits with lower firmware and possible permanent CFW for lower firmware.

5. jonaaa113

jonaaa113 Newbie
    Newcomer

Afghanistan
    Okay thanks a lot! So it won't brick if I update via ChoidujourNX and don't use AutoRCM?! :)

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    AutoRCM allow you to preserve your fuse, if you don't use it and boot into OFW you burn the fuse so keep that in mind, it is better to have lower fuse count than higher fuse count, you can still be on 8.1.0, and have lower fuse count.

If you have a NAND backup from a lower firmware and your fuse isn't burnt you can restore them and boot without a bootloader. With games firmware bypassing method no longer working people should update their firmware, but nothing to do with the fuse, believe cart update only go up to 6.1.0 firmware.

pLaYeR^^ likes this.
  7. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

Austria
    No, you don't need autoRCM. But if you don't install autoRCM, fuses of your switch will burn.

8. Hayro

Hayro Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    Ok so I don't have any problems with my Switch (CFW & OFW are all good) but something weird is currently happening.
    I can boot in CFW (Vol+ and TegraRCM payload inject with PC) then I turn off the console, boot up normally and it gives me OFW.

My point is that to achieve this, I don't use :
    -AutoRCM
    -a dongle/jigg (Joycon, tinfoil, paperclip, screwdiver etc)

Before I always used the Joycon + tinfoil trick to launch CFW but right now it seems like I can avoid that.
    I did it several times and it works (launch CFW without a jigg, then once on CFW turn off the Switch and boot in OFW).

How is it possible?
    Because if AutoRCM was indeed activated (to avoid the use of a jigg), I wouldn't be able to turn on OFW right?

9. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    You need to send a payload again if the unit get shut off, without autorcm it boot into OFW by default if no payload was pushed.

10. Hayro

Hayro Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    Ok I see, in fact it works as you said but the strange thing is that in my case, I don't use a jigg/dongle or autoRCM to activate RCMmode.
    I just Link my switch with my PC and press Vol+, it's enough to activate RCM mode on TegraRCM software (green check).
    That's why I don't understand the current situation.
    If you want to launch CFW, you need : Injector (PC or smartphone) + jigg/dongle or AutoRCM On + usb cable (if you don't use a dongle).

However right now I only have to do : Injector (PC) + usb cable + Press Vol+.
    I can do the following sequence : CFW -> turn off switch -> OFW -> turn off switch -> CFW -> turn off switch -> ...
    All of this without a dongle/jigg or autoRCM On (when usually one of them is required to access CFW).

11. kallekallix

kallekallix Newbie
    Newcomer

Interesting, how could you have achieved that?

Any of your more savy people that know what's going on? If it can be replicated, that's awsome no?

12. Hayro

Hayro Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    I think it has something to do with the sd card format (FAT32 to exFAT).

When I started the hack some months ago, I always used FAT32 as format for the sd card and a CFW without exFAT support (until 8.1.0).
    Then recently we got the DQXI Demo, so I wanted to play it on CFW. However I needed to install the Demo (.nsp) but it was a bit bigger than 4GB. So in the end, I decided to update my CFW from 8.1.0 to 8.1.0 Exfat. I used Choidujour.

To have an optimal repartition, I installed everything related to Nintendo, online games and OFW on Switch's internal memory.
    Then I formatted my sdcard to be Exfat and filled it with all my previous hacking stuff.

And here I started to boot into RCM mode without my usual jigg method (joycon + tinfoil) and it surprised me because I could switch easily between CFW & OFW and vice-versa without a jigg.

Process steps :
    1) FAT32 sd card on CFW (without Exfat support)
    2) On OFW, uninstall everything related to OFW that is on the sd card (ex : uninstall Splatoon 2 update on sd card, then pull off sd card to install Splatoon 2 update on internal memory)
    3) On CFW, update with Choidujour to obtain a CFW with exFAT support
    4) Format sd card to exFAT

By the way, I don't have any Dongle, I always used Joycon + Tinfoil back then.
    With these steps I dunno why but I think it tricked the RCM on/off switch and now to go into CFW I just have to link it to PC and press Vol+ (no jigg required).
    And it's not AutoRCM doing because I can switch between CFW -> OFW and OFW -> CFW.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. Skiiermike

Skiiermike Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Ok, so I know the answer is in here I just cant find it.

I've been out of the game for a few months and am trying to get back.

My switch was on 4.1 but now on 5.1 I believe which I updated without burning fuses. I dont remember any of the steps.

Can someone point me to the step by step directions to to update to the most current firmware?

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    We do have CFW for patched consoles however it is only up to firmware 4.1. And if by "hd", you meant HDD, currently only SX OS supports such a feature. You can use Deja Vu to boot SX OS on your patched console to load games off of your HDD although there are no guides on how to do this as SX OS is not supported by the community. I would still advise against updating your console as if you update it now, there is a chance you may never get to run CFW on your console ever again.

That is the whole point of DNS blocking servers; to allow safe usage of the Internet without fear of a ban.

Both ChoiDujour and ChoiDujourNX enable AutoRCM by default. Check if its enabled by booting into Hekate.

Use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX

Dava and Skiiermike like this.
  15. Skiiermike

Skiiermike Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Thanks.

Can I launch that via sx os? I haven't used any other homebrew launcher.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yes, you can launch it with any CFW.

Skiiermike likes this.
  17. gb5393

gb5393 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    @Draxzelex I have a console that keeps getting error 2162-0002, I did everything nintendo suggested, upgraded to the latest firmware, updated the joycon firmware. I still get the 2162-0002 error. I seen a few pages back you asked for the title id from the error screen, I got 0100000000001007. From searching, that title id seems to be associated with the profile selection.

Do you have any idea what else I can try?

18. fatherjack

fatherjack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [email protected],
    Switch OFW 5.1.0 using SX OS 2.5.2
    I have just created emunand on SD, installed smashbros and 3.0.1 update nsp's and updated CFW to 6.2.0 with choidujourNX
    Emunand booted fine, was prompted for controller update (declined) and when trying to launch smashbros it still asked for update?
    I went back and updated CFW to 8.10 with choixNX.....and now CFW blackscreens

does anybody have an idea what my best way to proceed is? just wanna get smashbros running on emunand :)

19. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

Austria
    Get the latest SX OS release. 2.5.2 is old.

20. fatherjack

fatherjack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi PlaYeR, just tried with latest stable release (2.5.3) - and same result :(

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - questions, PARADISE, SWITCH