Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

BruhGimmeName

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you are going that road, use official SD Formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ to prepare your card, then go to NYX (GUI of Hekate) pressing Vol- and use Hekate to partition and format your SD Card.
Just so I understand this correctly, do I want to go into Nyx before putting any data on the SD card? Just injecting the payload without anything on the card at all?
I have used the Partition tool inside Hekate to create the raw partition already, but I've done so after placing the atmosphere and hekate files on the sd card itself.

Reactions: impeeza

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't installing homebrews on my sysMMC dirty it and flag it?
Unfortunately yes but if you're worried, you can quickly make a backup of your sysMMC, run the homebrew app on CFW, than when you're done, restore the backup which will make it so it was as if you never ran CFW or homebrew on your sysMMC.
So you can update system firmware while in emunand?
No, I did all of those steps in sysMMC meaning technically yes, I did boot CFW on sysMMC. I'm also very well aware of the risks but I do anything other than boot CFW. No .NSP, no homebrew, no nothing.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Just so I understand this correctly, do I want to go into Nyx before putting any data on the SD card? Just injecting the payload without anything on the card at all?
I have used the Partition tool inside Hekate to create the raw partition already, but I've done so after placing the atmosphere and hekate files on the sd card itself.
you need on your card minimum Hekate and Atmosphère files in order to boot on to NYX.

rentry.org/switchHackingIsEasy

https://rentry.org/BackupRestoreNAND

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately yes but if you're worried, you can quickly make a backup of your sysMMC, run the homebrew app on CFW, than when you're done, restore the backup which will make it so it was as if you never ran CFW or homebrew on your sysMMC.

No, I did all of those steps in sysMMC meaning technically yes, I did boot CFW on sysMMC. I'm also very well aware of the risks but I do anything other than boot CFW. No .NSP, no homebrew, no nothing.
Don't fuses get burned for physical game copies? Would Animal Crossing or Pokemon Violet burn fuses if I own physical versions?

Edit: So process for updating your way would be hekate,launch stock sysnand, update sysnand through Nintendo, always boot through hekate? In other words does launching "stock sysnand" from hekate prevent fuses from burning?

Last edited by Blakejansen,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't fuses get burned for physical game copies? Would Animal Crossing or Pokemon Violet burn fuses if I own physical versions?
Anti-Downgrade fuses are burnt when you turn on the console while running a firmware higher than the fuse count. Meaning, fuses are typically burnt when you use the stock bootloader. The fuses you might be thinking about are the game cartridge fuses which are burnt at the same time as anti-downgrade fuses and under the same conditions. Meaning, even your game cartridge fuses would have been burnt long before you boot up a physical cartridge. But no, your anti-downgrade fuses won't be burnt by running a legitimate game.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anti-Downgrade fuses are burnt when you turn on the console while running a firmware higher than the fuse count. Meaning, fuses are typically burnt when you use the stock bootloader. The fuses you might be thinking about are the game cartridge fuses which are burnt at the same time as anti-downgrade fuses and under the same conditions. Meaning, even your game cartridge fuses would have been burnt long before you boot up a physical cartridge. But no, your anti-downgrade fuses won't be burnt by running a legitimate game.
What I am reading is that people use AutoRCM or just remember to always launch using the jig in order to preserve fuse count in case a coldboot solution comes to fruition. If I update my sysnand through Nintendo and then ALWAYS launch sysnand from hekate, will that prevent the fuse burn? Why wouldn't anti downgrade fuses be burned by running a physical cartridge that has a higher required fw than what the switch is currently on?

Edit:Cart fuses and systems fuses are different. So I guess my only question is if my steps to keeping my system fuses intact are correct.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I am reading is that people use AutoRCM or just remember to always launch using the jig in order to preserve fuse count in case a coldboot solution comes to fruition. If I update my sysnand through Nintendo and then ALWAYS launch sysnand from hekate, will that prevent the fuse burn? Why wouldn't anti downgrade fuses be burned by running a physical cartridge that has a higher required fw than what the switch is currently on?

Edit:Cart fuses and systems fuses are different. So I guess my only question is if my steps to keeping my system fuses intact are correct.
Yes, launching sysMMC through Hekate will preserve your anti-downgrade fuses. The magic is in the bootloader which is Hekate. As I explained earlier, the stock bootloader is what burns those fuses in the first place. If you boot normally, they will be burnt in an instant like by the time you see the Nintendo logo. But Hekate is a custom bootloader that is designed not to burn fuses even if you boot through Stock mode. The same can be applied to fusee as well but it cannot boot Stock so its not useful for this application.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, launching sysMMC through Hekate will preserve your anti-downgrade fuses. The magic is in the bootloader which is Hekate. As I explained earlier, the stock bootloader is what burns those fuses in the first place. If you boot normally, they will be burnt in an instant like by the time you see the Nintendo logo. But Hekate is a custom bootloader that is designed not to burn fuses even if you boot through Stock mode. The same can be applied to fusee as well but it cannot boot Stock so its not useful for this application.
It seems like a bit more trouble than it is worth, but I am still considering it. How likely is it that we will cold boot on a previous firmware? I am already sacrificing newshax. It just seems way too easy to forget RCM or having a softbrick for autorcm which I am a bit weary about. Might just go ahead and burn the fuses..... What do most people on temp do?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like a bit more trouble than it is worth, but I am still considering it. How likely is it that we will cold boot on a previous firmware? I am already sacrificing newshax. It just seems way too easy to forget RCM or having a softbrick for autorcm which I am a bit weary about. Might just go ahead and burn the fuses..... What do most people on temp do?
How likely is all to your perception. The truth is nobody knows so you're going to get a different answer based on who you ask. The fact is according to SciresM, there is a theoretical untethered coldboot exploit on 3.X that he nor anyone else has ever be able to trigger so he put up a bounty for it. Past that firmware is truly uncharted territory. The way I see it though is that since Nintendo doesn't ban people for mismatched fuse counts, there is literally no benefit to burning your fuses. Who knows, maybe someone else sees the value in a potential downgrade which can up the market cost of your Switch if you ever decide to sell. Also, you could just leave your console in sleep mode instead of turning it off. The Switch is a glorified phone; its designed to be in sleep mode for extended periods of time. Not to mention that AutoRCM saves unnecessary wear and tear on your right Joy-Con rail which can give out if abused given enough time.

marhalloweenvt

Trophies
XP
Country
I am always upgrade my OFW first, then upgrade other components. Honestly, I don't care about those minion fuses. As of now, there is no benefit of downgrading. So what? Just let it be. I am quite happy with RCM dongle for emuNAND and still buy legal copies of my favorite game from eshop with OFW. In next few month, I will try to do a mini fusee glee project and then, I can leave my dongle rest in piece.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How likely is all to your perception. The truth is nobody knows so you're going to get a different answer based on who you ask. The fact is according to SciresM, there is a theoretical untethered coldboot exploit on 3.X that he nor anyone else has ever be able to trigger so he put up a bounty for it. Past that firmware is truly uncharted territory. The way I see it though is that since Nintendo doesn't ban people for mismatched fuse counts, there is literally no benefit to burning your fuses. Who knows, maybe someone else sees the value in a potential downgrade which can up the market cost of your Switch if you ever decide to sell. Also, you could just leave your console in sleep mode instead of turning it off. The Switch is a glorified phone; its designed to be in sleep mode for extended periods of time. Not to mention that AutoRCM saves unnecessary wear and tear on your right Joy-Con rail which can give out if abused given enough time.

My switch is on 4.x so I am not sure if the fuse count is the same as 3.x. From what I have read I need to boot sysnand in cfw after enabling autorcm in order to avoid autorcm from being over written. How do I enable sysnand cfw? I am currently only getting sysnand vanilla and when I click "Atmosphere CFW" in hekate it boots into my emunand.
Here is my hekate ini file:

[config]
autoboot=1
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=0
bootprotect=0

[Atmosphere CFW]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp

[Stock SysNAND]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp
Post automatically merged:

I am always upgrade my OFW first, then upgrade other components. Honestly, I don't care about those minion fuses. As of now, there is no benefit of downgrading. So what? Just let it be. I am quite happy with RCM dongle for emuNAND and still buy legal copies of my favorite game from eshop with OFW. In next few month, I will try to do a mini fusee glee project and then, I can leave my dongle rest in piece.
What is fuse glee? Are the fuses on your switch burnt?

Does anyone know how hekate knows to boot my emunand when I choose the Atmosphere CFW option? I am not seeing a setting or anything in that .ini to suggest that the option to chose sysnand vs emunand is controlled there. I have looked at the guide and the .ini files mentioned both look very similar. Can someone that is more educated on the subject matter please explain like I am 5? My main question being, where is the option to boot emunand located in my files? Is emunand the default unless otherwise stated?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is on 4.x so I am not sure if the fuse count is the same as 3.x. From what I have read I need to boot sysnand in cfw after enabling autorcm in order to avoid autorcm from being over written. How do I enable sysnand cfw? I am currently only getting sysnand vanilla and when I click "Atmosphere CFW" in hekate it boots into my emunand.
Here is my hekate ini file:

[config]
autoboot=1
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=0
bootprotect=0

[Atmosphere CFW]

[Stock SysNAND]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp

What is fuse glee? Are the fuses on your switch burnt?

Does anyone know how hekate knows to boot my emunand when I choose the Atmosphere CFW option? I am not seeing a setting or anything in that .ini to suggest that the option to chose sysnand vs emunand is controlled there. I have looked at the guide and the .ini files mentioned both look very similar. Can someone that is more educated on the subject matter please explain like I am 5? My main question being, where is the option to boot emunand located in my files? Is emunand the default unless otherwise stated?
Your hekate_ipl.ini file only has 2 options: booting CFW on emuMMC and Stock on sysMMC. You don't have an option that allows you to boot CFW on sysMMC. For that, you will either need to create a boot entry in your hekate_ipl.ini file that allows this or you can download a pre-configured hekate_ipl.ini file that already contains that boot entry. You can find a pre-configured hekate_ipl.ini file in the first post of the patches thread.

Do you understand that Pegascape refers to the exploit you used initially to boot CFW? Well, Fusee Gelee is the name of the other exploit where you boot into RCM and send a payload via USB. This guide briefly explains that which is part of the reason I always recommend it.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your hekate_ipl.ini file only has 2 options: booting CFW on emuMMC and Stock on sysMMC. You don't have an option that allows you to boot CFW on sysMMC. For that, you will either need to create a boot entry in your hekate_ipl.ini file that allows this or you can download a pre-configured hekate_ipl.ini file that already contains that boot entry. You can find a pre-configured hekate_ipl.ini file in the first post of the patches thread.

Do you understand that Pegascape refers to the exploit you used initially to boot CFW? Well, Fusee Gelee is the name of the other exploit where you boot into RCM and send a payload via USB. This guide briefly explains that which is part of the reason I always recommend it.
So my hekate ini that points to emunand cfw looks like this:
[Atmosphere CFW]

and the one that you linked looks like this

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1

This seems like a pretty big difference. Could you please explain in a concise manner what is going on here? I am trying to get a clear understanding as to WHY I am doing what I am doing so I can better understand what is going on. Appreciate what you are doing for me(or others that read this thread).

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my hekate ini that points to emunand cfw looks like this:
[Atmosphere CFW]

and the one that you linked looks like this

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1

This seems like a pretty big difference. Could you please explain in a concise manner what is going on here? I am trying to get a clear understanding as to WHY I am doing what I am doing so I can better understand what is going on. Appreciate what you are doing for me(or others that read this thread).

They do the same thing but looking at the one with fusee.bin you wouldn't know if you have an emunand or not just by looking at the hekate_ipl.txt.

BruhGimmeName

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you need on your card minimum Hekate and Atmosphère files in order to boot on to NYX.

rentry.org/switchHackingIsEasy

https://rentry.org/BackupRestoreNAND
Using SD formatter and redoing everything from scratch did not work, I'm gonna give it one more try by zeroing the SD with diskpart, but if that too fails I'll buy a new card and see if that's the issue.

In the meanwhile, is there absolutely no other possible thing that might be wrong?
To recap:
Entering RCM via fusee-gelee on unpatched switch, Hekate 6.0.1, Atmosphere 1.4.0, HOS 15.0.1 booting both stock and CFW, sigpatches from the thread here.
CFW emummc doesn't boot, gives the following error:
Code:
Unknown pkg1 version.
HOS version not supported!
or emuMMC corrupt!
ALL buttons except 'cancel' under 'migrate emuMMC' are disabled.
emuMMC is installed on an SD partition. The SD partition was created within Hekate itself.
Trying to launch emuMMC via fusee gives the 'invalid PGP signature' error.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do the same thing but looking at the one with fusee.bin you wouldn't know if you have an emunand or not just by looking at the hekate_ipl.txt.
I know it is emunand because my emunand has a black background and sysnand has a white background. My emunand also has 30 games compared to just 1 on my sysnand. If they serve the same purpose, why do they look so different?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I know it is emunand because my emunand has a black background and sysnand has a white background. My emunand also has 30 games compared to just 1 on my sysnand. If they serve the same purpose, why do they look so different?
SysNAND is the data and OS what is on the physical MMC chip on your console board.

EmuNAND is a copy of the OS made on files or a RAW partition on your SD card, when the copy was made they are exactly the same, but when you make a change on any of the *NANDs the other is untouched, so you can have different set of apps, configs, etc.

The main use of this different set of configs is to have a "clean" NAND without backup restores, cheats, ilegal software and similar, then that NAND can be connected to Ninty servers for Online play and no fear to console Ban. And then you have a "Dirty" NAND which is full o no "so-saint" software and is kept offline only for your use. Another reason for having a EmuNAND on your SD is to avoid the detriment of your MMC chip, the SD card is by far more cheap and easy to replace than the chip.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

One is used by fusee.bin, the other is a fss0 build, the fusee.bin one ignore sysnand if an emunand exist and without looking the user might not know if an emunand existed, the bottom one with emummcforce=1 tells the user that an emunand is being used by looking at the hekate_ipl.txt.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SysNAND is the data and OS what is on the physical MMC chip on your console board.

EmuNAND is a copy of the OS made on files or a RAW partition on your SD card, when the copy was made they are exactly the same, but when you make a change on any of the *NANDs the other is untouched, so you can have different set of apps, configs, etc.

The main use of this different set of configs is to have a "clean" NAND without backup restores, cheats, ilegal software and similar, then that NAND can be connected to Ninty servers for Online play and no fear to console Ban. And then you have a "Dirty" NAND which is full o no "so-saint" software and is kept offline only for your use. Another reason for having a EmuNAND on your SD is to avoid the detriment of your MMC chip, the SD card is by far more cheap and easy to replace than the chip.
Useless post. I know what an emunand and sysnand is. Question is what the user below you answered.

One is used by fusee.bin, the other is a fss0 build, the fusee.bin one ignore sysnand if an emunand exist and without looking the user might not know if an emunand existed, the bottom one with emummcforce=1 tells the user that an emunand is being used by looking at the hekate_ipl.txt.
So fusee.bin knows that when it is ran it has to check for emunand? If so that is absolutely amazing and whoever developed that payload is an intelligent individual. So I assume emummc_force_disable is what tells hekate to use the sysnand instead?

Is there any benefit to switching from what I have now:

[Atmosphere CFW]

to this?:

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Useless post. I know what an emunand and sysnand is. Question is what the user below you answered.

So fusee.bin knows that when it is ran it has to check for emunand? If so that is absolutely amazing and whoever developed that payload is an intelligent individual. So I assume emummc_force_disable is what tells hekate to use the sysnand instead?

Is there any benefit to switching from what I have now:

[Atmosphere CFW]

to this?:

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1
your question was:

why do they look so different?

that's is what was answered

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...