Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is it possible to update the sysNAND to the latest FW and still run an SX OS 11.0 emuNAND?​

I already have a 2nd SD card set up to run Atmosphere on the latest FW, but as I want to keep the functionality to run XCIs off an external HDD, I also want to keep my SD card running an SX OS emuNAND on 11.0.

Ideally I'd like to update my sysNAND to the latest version so that I can go online but will this prevent me from being able to boot into my 11.0 SX OS emuNAND? I understand that I'd need to keep AutoRCM on and update my sysNAND via Choi to avoid burning fuses, but through my research, I can't find any solid information saying it's safe for me to update and would like to have that confirmation beforehand. Does anyone have experience with this?

(Sorry, I did create a thread for this already and it's not my intention to spam, but it was recommended that I ask here - I think a solid answer to this question could help a fair few people :))
The whole point of emuMMC is to be on a different firmware than sysMMC, that is the original reason it was created. It was meant as a way for people to update their firmware without updating the real firmware of their console. Meaning, the usage of emuMMC is to be on a higher firmware version than sysMMC. Granted you have it backwards but its the same concept at heart. Also if plan on updating sysMMC without burning fuses, I recommend using Daybreak instead as it is more updated than ChoiDujourNX. Daybreak comes bundled with the latest Atmosphere.

crimsonnight

Trophies
XP
Country
The whole point of emuMMC is to be on a different firmware than sysMMC, that is the original reason it was created. It was meant as a way for people to update their firmware without updating the real firmware of their console. Meaning, the usage of emuMMC is to be on a higher firmware version than sysMMC. Granted you have it backwards but its the same concept at heart. Also if plan on updating sysMMC without burning fuses, I recommend using Daybreak instead as it is more updated than ChoiDujourNX. Daybreak comes bundled with the latest Atmosphere.
Thanks, I appreciate a solid answer. It's strange, as there are a lot of posts saying that SX OS won't boot if you update the sysNAND, but I don't see any reason why this would be the case (..but then again my knowledge my just be lacking!).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I appreciate a solid answer. It's strange, as there are a lot of posts saying that SX OS won't boot if you update the sysNAND, but I don't see any reason why this would be the case (..but then again my knowledge my just be lacking!).
There was a time when something like this did happen which is what people may or may not be referring to. When firmware 7.0 was released, TX as usual were slow to update their CFW for compatibility. As a result, some users had updated their sysMMC to 7.0 which the CFW didn't support but users who had an emuMMC on 6.2 or lower still couldn't boot SX OS. They had to release an update just to fix this weird bug in the form of version 2.5.3. Here is the changelog for that version if you were curious.

Reactions: crimsonnight

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done this. What else could be causing this problem?
Well I'm actually not sure how to fix your internal system memory if what you're saying is correct. However I can offer alternatives to the problems you are trying to fix which are updating your firmware or linking a Nintendo Account. Both of these solutions involve using homebrew however. There is a homebrew app called Daybreak (which comes bundled with Atmosphere) which can update your firmware. It may be able to update your firmware or worst case scenario, provide a more detailed reason as to why you cannot update the firmware. The other homebrew application is Linkalho which can link a fake Nintendo Account to your console.

Haxolatolhacks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm actually not sure how to fix your internal system memory if what you're saying is correct. However I can offer alternatives to the problems you are trying to fix which are updating your firmware or linking a Nintendo Account. Both of these solutions involve using homebrew however. There is a homebrew app called Daybreak (which comes bundled with Atmosphere) which can update your firmware. It may be able to update your firmware or worst case scenario, provide a more detailed reason as to why you cannot update the firmware. The other homebrew application is Linkalho which can link a fake Nintendo Account to your console.
Thank you for this information. I will try daybreak and see what happens.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
So I'm in the process of hacking my old switch right now. I didn't intend to really bring it online, but I'm reading in the Switch hacks guides that basically sysNand should always be safe to bring online if you establish an emuNAND and only do modifications on the emuNAND and NEVER bring that emuNAND online.

What's general sentiment on this?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm in the process of hacking my old switch right now. I didn't intend to really bring it online, but I'm reading in the Switch hacks guides that basically sysNand should always be safe to bring online if you establish an emuNAND and only do modifications on the emuNAND and NEVER bring that emuNAND online.

What's general sentiment on this?

This is spot on. With Exosphere (exosphere.ini) and dns:mitm (default.txt) enabled in CFW on emunand your Prodinfo will be blank and you won’t be able to reach Ninty servers anyway. Sysnand is safe to still go online as long as you only run Ninty approved software on it. Anything more and the warranty is void and yiu start edging towards a ban.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
This is spot on. With Exosphere (exosphere.ini) and dns:mitm (default.txt) enabled in CFW on emunand your Prodinfo will be blank and you won’t be able to reach Ninty servers anyway. Sysnand is safe to still go online as long as you only run Ninty approved software on it. Anything more and the warranty is void and yiu start edging towards a ban.
Okay, great.

I have no intention of muddying the waters. Looking to do purchased, legitimate, NO modifications to stock. Pure as can be. So if I want an online session with my old system to transfer data or play games, I can just boot 100% pure stock and pretend nothing ever happened.

Reactions: binkinator

neko_koneko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can but your console will be banned and then you can't anymore. At a high level, online and CFW don't mix.

No, this will get you banned very quickly.

You can have a backup in emunand but not play online.
You can have a legit purchased game installed on your Sysnand and go online.

Not safe at all.

Latest update covers all previous updates. You only need the latest. DLC will be per title content. Each will be different and additive.

It will show you what's available to install in the shop you've connected to. If they don't have it you won't see it as an available update. There's another tool that will find what you're missing based on latest available but I will have to look for it.

Yes, tinfoil is safe to use.

What is a decryptor? Anyway, this is a huge question...can you be more specific rather than how does everything work? what are you looking to do?

You bet!

By having a copy of a game installed on Sysnand, do you mean a physical or digital one? Also, is DLC safe for Sysnand?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By having a copy of a game installed on Sysnand, do you mean a physical or digital one? Also, is DLC safe for Sysnand?

Both and yes. As long as you purchased everything from Ninty you are fine to install games on Sysnand. This can be eshop or game cards, updates or dlc. Anything and everything as long as it is legit from Ninty.

lasscat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey yall I have a questestion. while so about 3 months ago I accidentally installed my backup of mario kart 8 deluxe on sysnand I had custom dns servers to block it and airplane mode on when I realized I made a mistake I instantly deleted the game when I was offline soon after that I went online, i was not banned. About 3 months later I am still not banned, i am wondering if nintendo updates there telemetry checking will I get banned? I just went online to update mario kart to dump the new update will I get banned?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey yall I have a questestion. while so about 3 months ago I accidentally installed my backup of mario kart 8 deluxe on sysnand I had custom dns servers to block it and airplane mode on when I realized I made a mistake I instantly deleted the game when I was offline soon after that I went online, i was not banned. About 3 months later I am still not banned, i am wondering if nintendo updates there telemetry checking will I get banned? I just went online to update mario kart to dump the new update will I get banned?
Will you or won't you isn't a question any of us can answer because Nintendo are the ones who decide who gets banned. Realistically, you are flagged in the worst case scenario since you haven't been banned yet but whether or not that will change remains to be seen. Some bans can take up to a year to happen.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here's a fun read for that sort of thing: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

We don't have detailed insight into what exactly they are looking for and when. technically they could ship the logs when you connect online and if the right person/algorithm was looking it could result in a ban or maybe you dodge a bullet and it never happens. We can only guess based on the previous experiences of others.

Reactions: lasscat

lasscat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also should I restore my clean nand but at this point i dont think it will do anything since its been 3 months, and is there a way to see the newest ban waves?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol