Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm leaning more and more towards buying a v2 as my daily driver and hacking the v1 I already own as I can get a second hand v2 as just the tablet with nothing else for under £100

a great (if not best) practice. I did exactly the same purchases.

It appears to not be patched, its serial starts XAJ1001146 but its running the latest firmware (13.2.1), can it be hacked running the latest firmware?

V1 is an unpatchable (forever) hardware hack. Upgrade FW all you want.

will a hacked switch run downloaded ROMs from the SD and can you install games to SD from physical cartridges like you could with discs on the Wii and Wii U?

yes it will run installed .nsp/.xci (ROMs). You can dump cartridges directly from your Switch (similar to dumping a disk on Wii/U)

lastly, I have skimmed over sites while not really reading properly but I
remember see something about hiding cfw from Nintendo,

More like ensuring your switch can’t phone home (poison your DNS with a local hosts file for select sites) and mask your Prodinfo (basically your unique ID) in case you somehow manage to connect anyway…can’t ban what you can’t read. (we hope.)

how successful is it and can you go online while running cfw, more specifically if a game on SD is possible can you go online with it without getting a ban?

steve.

Shouldn’t go online with games but technically with a properly configured exosphere.ini you should be fine. You will not be able to connect to online games such as Splatoon. Use a clean OFW (sysnand) or better yet, your clean V2 switch.

Reactions: steve_fox

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a great (if not best) practice. I did exactly the same purchases.

V1 is an unpatchable (forever) hardware hack. Upgrade FW all you want.

yes it will run installed .nsp/.xci (ROMs). You can dump cartridges directly from your Switch (similar to dumping a disk on Wii/U)

More like ensuring your switch can’t phone home (poison your DNS with a local hosts file for select sites) and mask your Prodinfo (basically your unique ID) in case you somehow manage to connect anyway…can’t ban what you can’t read. (we hope.)

Shouldn’t go online with games but technically with a properly configured exosphere.ini you should be fine. You will not be able to connect to online games such as Splatoon. Use a clean OFW (sysnand) or better yet, your clean V2 switch.
Thanks for an in depth explanation, I'm liking that dumping a cart is possible, you said some games can't go online and some can but shouldn't really, what about mk8?

I have mk8 DL on cart and would definitely want to put that on the SD card but is that one of the games that's a big no no for going online?

What would you say the biggest benefit having cfw is, like what do you personally think is the best homebrew it opens up to the console, im trying to figure out if its worth it if you cant go online like you normally would once a switch is hacked.

Dam you Nintendo, you Dont behave like this towards the Wii u!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for an in depth explanation, I'm liking that dumping a cart is possible, you said some games can't go online and some can but shouldn't really, what about mk8?

I have mk8 DL on cart and would definitely want to put that on the SD card but is that one of the games that's a big no no for going online?

What would you say the biggest benefit having cfw is, like what do you personally think is the best homebrew it opens up to the console, im trying to figure out if its worth it if you cant go online like you normally would once a switch is hacked.

Dam you Nintendo, you Dont behave like this towards the Wii u!
What he meant was going online with any pirated games can result in a ban; there is no safe game that you can go online with. If you block connection to Nintendo's servers, you won't get banned but its the same thing as being banned.

As for the second question, it will largely depend on who you're asking as there is a wide variety of things you can do with CFW that you cannot do on a stock console such as overclocking, game modding, emulation, and even piracy. Online is temporary as long as the servers are active & if you're desperate, you can always buy another console. There is also an alternative way to play "online" but its only though games that support LAN/local wireless and it can only be with people who use the same service which may not always be a lot. However a hacked console's value will last as long as the console lasts and considering that discontinued hackable consoles cost more than currently available unhackable consoles, that should show you the value in hacking a Switch.

Reactions: binkinator

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What he meant was going online with any pirated games can result in a ban; there is no safe game that you can go online with. If you block connection to Nintendo's servers, you won't get banned but its the same thing as being banned.

As for the second question, it will largely depend on who you're asking as there is a wide variety of things you can do with CFW that you cannot do on a stock console such as overclocking, game modding, emulation, and even piracy. Online is temporary as long as the servers are active & if you're desperate, you can always buy another console. There is also an alternative way to play "online" but its only though games that support LAN/local wireless and it can only be with people who use the same service which may not always be a lot. However a hacked console's value will last as long as the console lasts and considering that discontinued hackable consoles cost more than currently available unhackable consoles, that should show you the value in hacking a Switch.
Just realised that there is a code and I can get that v2 for £93, my buy finger is very twitchy lol, can a hacked switch dual boot and boot normally with stock firmware and use the normal Nintendo services if you want to or is a hacked switch hacked and that's that?

I would want to use the hacked one to download save files then transfer them to The legit one but realised it requires both to be online and share the same Nintendo account, would that be a no go?

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, do you know if uploading an hacked save game from an hacked switch the switch online cloud, I could then install that same savegame to an non-hacked oled switch (for pokemon) :ph34r:

noahgambles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reentry doesn’t link to any copyrighted materials. You can absolutely post it. rEnTrYdOtCoSlAsHsWiTcHhAcKiNgIsEaSy
The rule you say makes sense, but new members are asked to not post any links at all (in the onboarding message in the inbox). Just fyi. ;)

Oh look at that, I can't even reply to you with your own link.

Oops! We ran into some problems.

The anti-spam protections prevented your content from being submitted, because it contains URL/links or forbidden keywords. Please modify your post and try again. Please bear in mind that as a new user, your posting permissions are limited. Once you have contributed to the forums with 5 posts your account will automatically be upgraded and you will be able to enjoy the site in full. This is further explained in the private message you received upon registration.

Nice of you to take some time to help the newbies here. It is because of people like you that any of this is possible.

Reactions: binkinator

bupeapoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the recent apps I downloaded was Switch News by Sluxx. I can see it on my Switch, but whenever I open it via Album, it simply loads a black screen with white font on the top-left corner stating 'Please start this homebrew via title-override'.

Does know anyone what this means? I've tried a quick search online but can't seem to find any information.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the recent apps I downloaded was Switch News by Sluxx. I can see it on my Switch, but whenever I open it via Album, it simply loads a black screen with white font on the top-left corner stating 'Please start this homebrew via title-override'.

Does know anyone what this means? I've tried a quick search online but can't seem to find any information.
Hold down ‘R’ then tap ‘A’ and continue holding down ‘R’ until the app is done loading. (I seem to recall the news site being down…I could be wrong.)

bupeapoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hold down ‘R’ then tap ‘A’ and continue holding down ‘R’ until the app is done loading. (I seem to recall the news site being down…I could be wrong.)

Thanks man. I've seen this Hold down ‘R’ then tap ‘A’ and continue holding down ‘R’ combo being thrown around a lot since I joined the Switch Jailbreak community. What's the deal? I'm assuming it can be applied to more than just this one app?

You could be right about the news site being down btw. Unfortunately, there's no information on whether it's online/offline on the Authors github page.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man. I've seen this Hold down ‘R’ then tap ‘A’ and continue holding down ‘R’ combo being thrown around a lot since I joined the Switch Jailbreak community. What's the deal? I'm assuming it can be applied to more than just this one app?

You could be right about the news site being down btw. Unfortunately, there's no information on whether it's online/offline on the Authors github page.

This is the override combo that frees up memory. It‘s a special use case. Here’s a good thread on it: https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-in-the-nine-hells-is-title-override.605707/

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just realised that there is a code and I can get that v2 for £93, my buy finger is very twitchy lol, can a hacked switch dual boot and boot normally with stock firmware and use the normal Nintendo services if you want to or is a hacked switch hacked and that's that?

I would want to use the hacked one to download save files then transfer them to The legit one but realised it requires both to be online and share the same Nintendo account, would that be a no go?
The dualboot is essentially emuMMC which is easy to setup and manage. You would use CFW/homebrew in emuMMC while going online in sysMMC. And you can still transfer the save files as long as you're transferring it to sysMMC on the hacked console since you risk getting banned if you go online via the hacked emuMMC.
Hello, do you know if uploading an hacked save game from an hacked switch the switch online cloud, I could then install that same savegame to an non-hacked oled switch (for pokemon) :ph34r:
Definitely risking a ban if you're uploading a modified save file.
Can switch sports be played on a banned console
I'm pretty sure the game has single player content; the online test run was, as the name indicates, a test of the online services of the game. It wasn't meant to feature all of the different ways to play the game.

kedokinnie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i "accidentally" deleted EVERYTHING on my sd card i was using for homebrew, is it safe to just put the card back in and act like nothing happened? would i have to reinstall homebrew apps? if so from where? and in what places?

SatellaviewGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A hacking question. 2, accually. So, is it possible to hack a switch lite? And, can you do switch homebrew without a micro SD? (Because I don't have money to buy one)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i "accidentally" deleted EVERYTHING on my sd card i was using for homebrew, is it safe to just put the card back in and act like nothing happened? would i have to reinstall homebrew apps? if so from where? and in what places?
Well, if you deleted absolutely everything from your SD card, you won't even be able to boot CFW because CFW goes on the SD card. You will also have to download all of your homebrew applications again. Those go in the /switch folder.
A hacking question. 2, accually. So, is it possible to hack a switch lite? And, can you do switch homebrew without a micro SD? (Because I don't have money to buy one)
  1. Technically yes but it requires a modchip called the SX Lite which has to be soldered inside the console
  2. An SD card is required because that is where all of the files for CFW & homebrew go

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Make sure you format it as FAT32 and be more careful next time. There is nothing yiu can do to recover the data. Grab a good guide and start fresh. https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The dualboot is essentially emuMMC which is easy to setup and manage. You would use CFW/homebrew in emuMMC while going online in sysMMC. And you can still transfer the save files as long as you're transferring it to sysMMC on the hacked console since you risk getting banned if you go online via the hacked emuMMC.

Definitely risking a ban if you're uploading a modified save file.

I'm pretty sure the game has single player content; the online test run was, as the name indicates, a test of the online services of the game. It wasn't meant to feature all of the different ways to play the game.
So as long as everything naughty is done in emunand cfw it 'should' be safe to go online in legit ways in the SYS nand and link the console to my Nintendo account for save file transfers to a non hacked switch?

What about going online, is SYS nand safe for say a legit copy of Mario kart played from a cartridge pin SYS nand after the hack?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as long as everything naughty is done in emunand cfw it 'should' be safe to go online in legit ways in the SYS nand and link the console to my Nintendo account for save file transfers to a non hacked switch?

What about going online, is SYS nand safe for say a legit copy of Mario kart played from a cartridge pin SYS nand after the hack?
emuMMC & sysMMC operate independently of one another. Think of emuMMC as a second console (which it kind of is since its emulating your sysMMC but on the SD card). As long as you never go online after using CFW/homebrew, you will not get banned no matter what you do like using cartridges. All bans are due to people utilizing CFW or homebrew then subsequently connecting to Nintendo's servers.

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
emuMMC & sysMMC operate independently of one another. Think of emuMMC as a second console (which it kind of is since its emulating your sysMMC but on the SD card). As long as you never go online after using CFW/homebrew, you will not get banned no matter what you do like using cartridges. All bans are due to people utilizing CFW or homebrew then subsequently connecting to Nintendo's servers.
Cool, thanks to clarifying that :)

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop opening pms from @Psionic Roshambo