Switch custom themes sharing thread

Since we got custom themes working on switch we have been stuck on a major issue: home menu's SZS files are illegal to share because they contain copyrighted data.
This is the reason why I developed the nxtheme format: it's a custom container for switch themes that's 100% legal and that works on every firmware.
Use this thread to post your own custom themes, if you have any question ask in the Switch theme injector release thread.

TLDR; Now themes are nxtheme files, they can be installed with NxThemes Installer on any switch. nxtheme files are legal and can be shared here. DO NOT SHARE THE SZS FILES.

How to share custom themes:
1) Make a theme like you normally would
2) Click "build nxtheme" instead of "patch and save"
3) Post the output nxtheme here.
That's it. As you can see the process has been totally reworked and this time it's much easier for end users.

How to install custom themes:
1) Download NXThemes installer on your switch (it's also available on the homebrew appstore)
2) Copy the nxtheme file in the themes folder on your sd
4) Install the theme and reboot

You may also find links like the ones below, those are Auto-Theme links, it's the old way of sharing themes, when you open them it will automatically download nxtheme files you can install.

Where can i find custom themes ?
You can look in the download center, in this thread and on this subreddit

So I'll be the first:

GBATemp theme:
upload_2018-10-31_21-59-45.png
With Doge's layout: link

upload_2018-10-31_22-2-2.png
With zaigenshi's layout: link
(This only displays the first user account)​

Happy sharing :)
Also a huge shout out to Costello who enabled the download center to work with Auto-Theme

Last edited by exelix11,

Ali3n90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea, it seems to be working on my end. It's not necessarily the best fit anyway's. It was just what I was already using. If you want I can share the file again, maybe there was some corruption with the upload? Or I can post the image and you can remake it.
are you using it on 7.0.1 ? I just love how clean that theme is.
Do you mind maybe uploading the exact same files you are using on your switch? That would be much appriciated.
Thanks again.

Dichotomy754

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all about that clean usability, that's why I made it and I'm glad you like it. There is one small issue with the setting screen shading not covering the whole screen. I've been too lazy to fix it for myself but if it bugs you I can get off my butt and do it.

I sent you a PM with the unlock image, let me know if you get it working.

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
my first ever theme in anticipation of the heavily rumoured "Persona 5 for Switch"
i've been wanting to make this one for a while.. i'm currently using the Atmosphere Album Icon Replacement and The Line Remover made by "Bandithedoge" in correlation with this theme, so make sure you also have both of those downloaded and set up.

Downloads for both mods can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f2UmxlxkASOlirFGNtG650keI0QeW52c

Lock Layout: "Simple Layout Lockscreen" by Akai
Home Layout: "Two rows home" by Zaigenshi

Previews:
ZmiWAGS.jpg

Lockscreen

zZ5FZ6j.jpg

Homescreen

uWmtoXS.jpg

Apps

d41Ectg.jpg

User

5aZfHbp.jpg

Settings

HGTyeKv.jpg

News

Attachments

• Persona 5 Theme - SilentOne2k94.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 288

yoshimashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk, but nobody reported this issue so i assume it's something on your end. You could even have bad nxtheme files, try the one i attached, it's the one i use for testing and should work. If it fails as well try older versions of the installer from github. If none of this work i really idk and the only thing you can try is to format the sd and redump your szs files

I'm also having an issue with this. I have a 6.2.0 switch with the latest atmosphere (0.86-master-2d27dab). I currently have a Mac but I've also had the same issues on my windows. Just mentioning that because you wrote that someone else had the same issue on a Mac.

I get the same error code, I've tried to delete the title folder but couldn't find the specific 0100000000001000 folder so I backed up and deleted the error code title I got from atmosphere which is : 2168-0002 (0x4a8) and the title with the folder ending in 100D.

I've also tried to test your theme and got the same error code. It happens when I click on a folder that contains the themes. So for your theme, I put it under a folder "test" and if a theme isn't in a folder then I crash right when I click on "install theme" in the app.

Last edited by yoshimashi,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm also having an issue with this. I have a 6.2.0 switch with the latest atmosphere (0.86-master-2d27dab). I currently have a Mac but I've also had the same issues on my windows. Just mentioning that because you wrote that someone else had the same issue on a Mac.

I get the same error code, I've tried to delete the title folder but couldn't find the specific 0100000000001000 folder so I backed up and deleted the error code title I got from atmosphere which is : 2168-0002 (0x4a8) and the title with the folder ending in 100D.

I've also tried to test your theme and got the same error code. It happens when I click on a folder that contains the themes. So for your theme, I put it under a folder "test" and if a theme isn't in a folder then I crash right when I click on "install theme" in the app.
You shouldn't delete random titles from the atmosphere lfs folder cause some are default patches and may break your cfw, make sure to redownload them.
At one point i had a similar issue with another homebrew i'm working on: the files were there but it kept on crashing when opening them, precisely fopen seems to fail.
I'm pretty sure for you it's the same thing, the switch FAT driver doesn't like folders with the archive bit set (i've read somewhere that it reads them like a single file but can't find the source rn so don't quote me on this) for me the solution was to manually clear it from the folder properties.
Apparently mac os always sets this bit automatically and for me windows did it only in that instance (?) anyway this is the solution. Apply the command to fix it only to the themes folder cause switch seems to not like it if you do it to the nintendo folder as well.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[
Ya I'm having that kind of problem right now and I deleted the theme folders and files from the SD card but I still get a black blank screen at startup does anyone know how to fix this at all?
Might be easier to just upgrade your cfw, replacing all of its files, keep your games/save and homebrew and it's related files though.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ya I'm having that kind of problem right now and I deleted the theme folders and files from the SD card but I still get a black blank screen at startup does anyone know how to fix this at all?
The themes are installed to <your cfw dir>/titles/0100000000001000 delete that folder from the sd to manually remove a theme.
If you're on a supported firmware and themes keep on crashing most likely your sd card is corrupted and you should format it.

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

ScottNBNP

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay so I made an update to my theme from yesterday on the Qcean Discord, and I decided to post it here too, to include all pages which I frequently use: Game screen, all games page, settings and lockscreen.

Tools I used:
Photoshop
Switch online theme injector https://exelix11.github.io/SwitchThemeInjector/

Usage:
Grab the PNG's you need from the second IMGUR album, and go to the website mentioned above.
Open your ResidentMenu.szs and choose the "Two rows home by zaigenshi" at the custom layout field.
Do this only for the resident menu of course. All other menus are untouched by layout changes.

Here is a preview:

gGxJCFP.jpg

7Z6fLH8.jpg

MORE PREVIEWS:
- these are the screenshots;

DOWNLOAD:
- these are the theme image files that you can use. Hope you guys enjoy it. Have fun!

UPDATE:

All grey version by popular request:

D8KCcoK.png

DOWNLOAD:
- these are the theme image files that you can use. Hope you guys enjoy it. Have fun!

Hope you guys like it! Feel free to send me any feedback on what should I do next with it.

Has this been updated to support NXThemes? I miss this layout so bad.

Ka_Ninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some themes that do not have the 'All Applications' button. How exactly do we access all of our applocations in these themes??

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are some themes that do not have the 'All Applications' button. How exactly do we access all of our applocations in these themes??
Are you sure that these theme don't have it at all ? Cause if so you can't. Ususally people make themes with less icons on the main screen but the all apps button is still there, in that case if you don't see it's because you need at least iirc 9 titles installed for it to show up

Reactions: Ka_Ninja

Ka_Ninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that these theme don't have it at all ? Cause if so you can't. Ususally people make themes with less icons on the main screen but the all apps button is still there, in that case if you don't see it's because you need at least iirc 9 titles installed for it to show up

Yeah, you were correct. I had 9 titles installed I installed 2 more and then that menu actually popped up for me to my relief lol. Thank you, I was avoiding using themes I really liked because I thought I would not be able to access all of my games!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.