fishykipper

pkmn breeder
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anyone know anything about a new update?
seems to me that, everyone steamed to get the new card and now the updates are very few!
would be nice to see, all games running a bit smoother!
and the snes/nes emulation!

i heard they were coming out soon (posted a good couple or weeks ago)!
anyone got the goss??

cheers boys and girls!

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
PharaohsVizier said:
Just how often were you expecting updates? It's only been about 2 weeks since the last one.
This. Can't you people be patient? Also, there's a fucking GENERAL DISCUSSION topic stickied for a reason, to keep these stupid, useless topics from cluttering this section.

portezbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, I love how every time someone asks a question about updates half a dozen people instantly jump down their throat about being "impatient". Find something better to do. I have also been wondering about updates. At first they were releasing updates every few days and now its been two weeks without anything, it just seemed strange. They shouldn'tve spoiled me, I've grown accustomed to regular updates.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
portezbie said:
Lol, I love how every time someone asks a question about updates half a dozen people instantly jump down their throat about being "impatient". Find something better to do. I have also been wondering about updates. At first they were releasing updates every few days and now its been two weeks without anything, it just seemed strange. They shouldn'tve spoiled me, I've grown accustomed to regular updates.

It's because they're trying to not to half-ass things.

The whole reason the DSTwo doesn't have DIVX or SNES Emulation yet is because people like OP keep being impatient and pressuring the supercard team.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my years of watching developers create stuff and spend time perfecting it, I noticed that everything gets done faster if they just release a buggy version earlier and let people find all the bugs. I have seen a few game developers receive extremely detailed bug reports from average players and exact methods on how to reproduce the bug. Sometimes, bugs are so rare that even if developers spent years testing it, they would never find it.

The only thing that should be mentioned is *Warning: beta version, use at your own risk*

ReverseViceVersa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
portezbie said:

Overlord Nadrian has no fuckin life. He has nothing better to do and thinks he's shit because he's the overlord who rules over GBATemp's supercard section. He's seriously more annoying than curious posters, so don't mind him. And yeah where are the updates? The in-game menu needs to be fixed for a few bugs still. :/

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
In my years of watching developers create stuff and spend time perfecting it, I noticed that everything gets done faster if they just release a buggy version earlier and let people find all the bugs. I have seen a few game developers receive extremely detailed bug reports from average players and exact methods on how to reproduce the bug. Sometimes, bugs are so rare that even if developers spent years testing it, they would never find it.

The only thing that should be mentioned is *Warning: beta version, use at your own risk*

Yes, but if you release a buggy version people will still bitch about the bugs even if it is a beta. Plus it makes them look bad because everyone would be like "Lol supercard has to make us search for it's bugs, what losers".

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He sounds a hell of a lot more intelligent than you stupid. What have you contributed besides annoying bashing posts? And games for the DStwo run. Stop being so fucking impatient. If you don't like how it works go get an Acekard or something.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
I can't tell you the number of people I've talked to that were using a beta version of something because they thought it meant something like "sneak peek behind the scenes version", and weren't aware they're known to have bugs.

If a bug deletes data off of somebody's memory card, I doubt "it's a beta" will calm the raging hordes.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Zetta_x said:

Yes, but if you release a buggy version people will still bitch about the bugs even if it is a beta. Plus it makes them look bad because everyone would be like "Lol supercard has to make us search for it's bugs, what losers".

I have seen people ridicule developers for releasing betas and letting people find bugs, however, I think many of us would agree to have the first buggy stable release earlier rather then waiting x amount of weeks for perfection only to find a number of bugs that the developers haven't found. In my one semester of learning C++, I have found that coding things raises complexity in exponential forms the more modules of code you add to it. I have found myself many times to iron out all the possibilities of bugs and end up adding more exploits and even worse bugs to begin with especially with multi-module programs that do a lot of external loading from various files.

I built a simple DOS game in C++. While building the combat engine, I just had 'random' numbers (which was based time so it's not so random) do random amounts of damage to both players. Once I perfected that without bugs, I added in HP factor so everyone has a max HP and a total HP, this time I added in the battle stops when someone reaches below 0. Extremely easy to code. However, by the data types I was using, I ran into negative numbers which of coursed caused hiccups in the programming. So I threw in a small mathematical algorithm to prevent negative numbers. If damage done is greater then current HP, then do the amount of damage of current HP. Simple as that. With a few short weeks of learning how to C++, I threw in a massive multi-module, multi file program that used encryption algorithms, passwords, character files, monster files, town properties, etc... I browsed through all my coding numerous times and couldn't find any exploits, I put together the coding really slowly to prevent any type of exploits.

The point is, I let my brother test it within 5 minutes he found out that When you get to a bank and deposit money, putting in negative numbers increased your money. Something so small and clever was found that easily. I have learned when you captivate a piece of work to a small group of individuals, the domain of minds used to testing is extremely small. When you release a great deal of coding to the community, it's so much easier to get things done and being satisfied with it. As for my whole C++ program, I did it mainly to get used to programming. I left it on a thumb drive and lost it. If I were to code something today, it would be much more cleverly written, we learn from our experiences and that's what most developers should do.

Rydian said:
QUOTE(Zetta_x @ Jun 20 2010, 06:28 PM)
I can't tell you the number of people I've talked to that were using a beta version of something because they thought it meant something like "sneak peek behind the scenes version", and weren't aware they're known to have bugs.

If a bug deletes data off of somebody's memory card, I doubt "it's a beta" will calm the raging hordes.

If someone doesn't know what the word beta means, I hope that program not only erases data, I hope it ruins their life. Besides, it's so easily to implement a disclaimer before downloading something. If they don't read it and they ruin their life over a program, this must be the developers way for natural selection because I sure hope they don't raise kids with the same attitude. Like I said, it will most likely do more good than harm done to release 'buggy' versions. I use the term most likely because as mentioned, there is a possibility of complete disaster that we can't rule out, however, odds are it will benefit any developer to release stuff upon a stable* release.

*Stable being defined not to have any major faults to the point of inoperability.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Zetta_x said:

I have seen people ridicule developers for releasing betas and letting people find bugs, however, I think many of us would agree to have the first buggy stable release earlier rather then waiting x amount of weeks for perfection only to find a number of bugs that the developers haven't found. In my one semester of learning C++, I have found that coding things raises complexity in exponential forms the more modules of code you add to it. I have found myself many times to iron out all the possibilities of bugs and end up adding more exploits and even worse bugs to begin with especially with multi-module programs that do a lot of external loading from various files.

I built a simple DOS game in C++. While building the combat engine, I just had 'random' numbers (which was based time so it's not so random) do random amounts of damage to both players. Once I perfected that without bugs, I added in HP factor so everyone has a max HP and a total HP, this time I added in the battle stops when someone reaches below 0. Extremely easy to code. However, by the data types I was using, I ran into negative numbers which of coursed caused hiccups in the programming. So I threw in a small mathematical algorithm to prevent negative numbers. If damage done is greater then current HP, then do the amount of damage of current HP. Simple as that. With a few short weeks of learning how to C++, I threw in a massive multi-module, multi file program that used encryption algorithms, passwords, character files, monster files, town properties, etc... I browsed through all my coding numerous times and couldn't find any exploits, I put together the coding really slowly to prevent any type of exploits.

The point is, I let my brother test it within 5 minutes he found out that When you get to a bank and deposit money, putting in negative numbers increased your money. Something so small and clever was found that easily. I have learned when you captivate a piece of work to a small group of individuals, the domain of minds used to testing is extremely small. When you release a great deal of coding to the community, it's so much easier to get things done and being satisfied with it. As for my whole C++ program, I did it mainly to get used to programming. I left it on a thumb drive and lost it. If I were to code something today, it would be much more cleverly written, we learn from our experiences and that's what most developers should do.

Rydian said:
QUOTE(Zetta_x @ Jun 20 2010, 06:28 PM)

If someone doesn't know what the word beta means, I hope that program not only erases data, I hope it ruins their life. Besides, it's so easily to implement a disclaimer before downloading something. If they don't read it and they ruin their life over a program, this must be the developers way for natural selection because I sure hope they don't raise kids with the same attitude.

If it is causing data corruption/deletion then it is an alpha, not a beta. When it reaches beta stage that means it is ready for widespread testing by other people.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
If it is causing data corruption/deletion then it is an alpha, not a beta. When it reaches beta stage that means it is ready for widespread testing by other people.

While that tends to be the trend, that is in no way set in stone. Every beta comes with a warning to back up your data because it can cause corruption/deletion. It's not just the group covering their butts, it's the truth. Even when the release is final, there still may be some uncovered bug that accomplishes this task. Simply because there's an error, doesn't mean it's necessarily an alpha.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
If you don't do a job right, you must have time to do it over again.
^This. They don't have time to do it over again, so they must get a good percentage of the bugs out, before release. Its like a car, you don't mass produce one, without finding all the bugs, and malfunctions, or else the final product won't work right. Causing people to complain.(We don't want anymore gas pedal malfunctions do we?)

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:

I see what you mean (I also had a similar problem to you but with an RPG I made on my calculator). However it's different when it's something people paid money for and expect to be in the best condition possible. People still bitch to the Supercard team about the gba compatibility. It really depends upon how the Supercard team wants to handle the way they release things.

So far the CycloDS team is the only people who release betas, and they kind of abuse that by releasing 5 betas before an actual release (I.E. they don't do much testing on their own).

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoxasIsSora said:
QUOTE said:
If you don't do a job right, you must have time to do it over again.
^This. They don't have time to do it over again, so they must get a good percentage of the bugs out, before release. Its like a car, you don't mass produce one, without finding all the bugs, and malfunctions, or else the final product won't work right. Causing people to complain.(We don't want anymore gas pedal malfunctions do we?)

It's nothing like a car, if it needs to be redone, relaunching a beta or alpha will only make you realize it needs to be redone faster. Maybe I fail to see how launching a beta has any correlation to why something needs to be redone. This is software compiled by code, this has nothing to do with physical properties. If there is an error, you do not re-make the code, you simply make an amendment to the code and re-compile it. The reason why you don't mass produce a car before it is done is because it will cost millions to recall everything, not only that, but to do a recall takes millions in itself to reprocess defective materials. When it's software, you just re-distribute the code and everything is fixed.

We can all agree it's very rare for something to be released without bugs. As a newbie in programming, it's very easy to spot bugs especially if you created the code yourself. If you see an error in a compiled version, it is somewhat easy to identify which module of code may be the problem and thus a fix is pretty easy. It has already been argued that releasing an update early means it may have more bugs in it, however, I argue there is more good then bad with releasing an update. In the long run, a stable version of whatever program that is being developed will come faster with early releases.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
If someone doesn't know what the word beta means, I hope that program not only erases data, I hope it ruins their life.
Stop!
Reality time!

If you really feel that way, you need to get up off the computer and go hang out with some non-virtual people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ
Google went around asking random people what a "browser" was.
Most people did not know.

And you're saying that if somebody doesn't know what the beta development stage of software is, they deserve to have data erased and their life ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...