Suggestion for a way to compensate homebrew developers

Bip22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this might not be possible for a variety of reasons.

We all know the loads of hard work that people who develop homebrew games and applications put into their stuff for our collective enjoyment.

And we also all know that sometimes they might receive less in the way of thanks than they do in the way of complaints and criticisms.

...Much less, donations.

I am not a homebrew developer myself. But it occurs to me that were homebrew developers to receive more in the way of donations, then they'd receive more in the way of satisfaction, and the homebrew community at large may receive more in the way of apps, games, and updates to existing software.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of paypal transactions/html/javascript/etc to know if the following is even possible.

But I was wondering if it is possible to set up a paypal donation link for a fixed amount, and furthermore, if it would be possible to embed it into forum posts?

I'm thinking that a lot of people might not bother clicking on a paypal donation link to donate a very small amount of money, because having to fill out that form to donate very little can sometimes feel worse than donating nothing at all.

But what if you could click on a paypal link to automatically (save for having to log into your paypal account) donate say twenty-five, or fifty cents?

(I'm thinking an amount lower than a dollar, because psychologically, I think there's a big difference to people between say eighty cents and an actual, full dollar or more).

I think if that were possible, and especially if the link could be embedded right into a post where a developer informs people of a new application, or an update to an existing one, many more people would be inclined to click on it.

I know that if I saw a button like that to automatically donate a couple quarters to a guy, I personally would be much more likely to click on it, than if I were to decided to donate and fill out the form for such a small amount.

And it's not like I think developers would be raking in the dough this way...But maybe at least they could grab a case of beer on us or something for their efforts.

I don't know, just an idea.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I personally don't use homebrew that much... but it sounds like a good idea as long as you don't have to use paypal (google checkout is much better anyway, and takes much less commission, so the homebrew author gets more of the donation)

the biggest problems though are:
1) trying to get cash out of a bunch of pirates is probably more difficult than trying to get poop out of a rocking horse.
2) a large percentage of the users here (>50% as a guess) are younger than 16/18, so cannot get a credit/debit card to use anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.