Sub VS Dub

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the dub is decent (Which it almost always is nowadays) I prefer dubs. If there's no dub available though, watching subbed is just fine for me.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cyan said:
Subtitle : I like having Original work for everything. (movie, TVShow or anime)
Being japanese, American, spanish, Korean, or whatever, Watching something like it was meant to be dub is always better.
The author decided how is should be dub, and often other countries are changing things : names, accents, cultural jokes, etc.

Of course, it suppose that you understand the jokes, know the culture or references enough, etc.
(like in How I met Your Mother, cultural references are needed, but French subbers always give a .txt with all the references
biggrin.gif
, while official french episodes adapt jokes to french references, not often easy to adapt something so they invent a new one...)
This, doesn't matter what the origin of the show is. I need to watch it with voice acting as intended from the original director.
I don't think words have much impact. The way they're spoken has much more impact.
Even if I can't fully understand the original language I can understand/feel the intent behind the intonation.

Granted, there are some really good dubs out there these, but for me personally it still feels off.
Watching an English cartoon/animation in English (even those terrible wannabe anime cartoons) sounds perfectly fine to me.
Watching dubbed anime always sounds awkward to me.

It's not that the voice work is bad, I just think the direction is gone or not quite right.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on the show. You can't watch something like Higurashi with a dub, because it will ruin the atmosphere. But for things like Eden of the East (which had some English voices anyway) a dub is actually better.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
It really depends on the show. You can't watch something like Higurashi with a dub, because it will ruin the atmosphere. But for things like Eden of the East (which had some English voices anyway) a dub is actually better.

Ruin the atmosphere?
It didn't do anything like that.

Hell, the dub voice actors sounded so much like their japanese counterparts, except they spoke English lol. Surprised me when I had to switch to sub for season 2.
I'd like to know how voice acting could ruin the atmosphere anyways, unless it was really bad of course.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i hate subtitles in anime, why you ask? because it gets tiring constantly having to read the subtitles if you want to understand what they are saying in japanese.

dub is way more better and some of the voice overs in english are not so bad, some of the bad ones bring humour into the anime XD.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
Linkiboy said:

Ruin the atmosphere?

Hell, the dub voice actors sounded so much like their japanese counterparts, except they spoke English lol. Surprised me when I had to switch to sub for season 2.
I'd like to know how voice acting could ruin the atmosphere anyways, unless it was really bad of course.
Well, the series takes place in 1983 rural Japan. It's filled with pseudo folklore, which often rely on Japanese puns (for instance, Watanagashi) which I really doubt the dub explains...

Also, you missed out on an entire season of Detective Delicious' jpn voice. I really wish he did more things.

Also, Youtube poop.

[youtube]S6SgKmQHED8[/youtube]

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
Hells Malice said:
Linkiboy said:

Ruin the atmosphere?

Well, the series takes place in 1983 rural Japan. It's filled with pseudo folklore, which often rely on Japanese puns (for instance, Watanagashi) which I really doubt the dub explains...

Nope that gets explained. I seem to recall it being explained in the dub. I was never confused, lost, or feeling like I missed something going from the dub to sub. They didn't not-explain or poorly explain anything.
Did you...even watch the dub? or are you just arbitrarily saying things about it.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Subs all the way. American voice actors lack the enthusiam that Japanese voice actors have (A big example: Love Hina). But like everything else there is exceptions. I watched Cowboy Bebop with dubs and was suprised at the quality and effort the voice actors had. Edward and Spike were probably both the best. Out of all the dubs I've heard, the worst dub I've ever heard has to be the dub of Eiken. Yes, its a horribly over-the-top ecchi harem, but its so bad it makes you want to laugh. And plus once I get used to voice actors for my anime characters, I can't go back. I can't imagine listening to a dub of Haruhi Suzumiya since I've gotten so used to Hirano Aya being her voice actor. Same with Konata Izumi from Lucky Star. So for me, its almost always: Subs>Dubs.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oveneise said:
Subs all the way. American voice actors lack the enthusiam that Japanese voice actors have (A big example: Love Hina). But like everything else there is exceptions. I watched Cowboy Bebop with dubs and was suprised at the quality and effort the voice actors had. Edward and Spike were probably both the best. Out of all the dubs I've heard, the worst dub I've ever heard has to be the dub of Eiken. Yes, its a horribly over-the-top ecchi harem, but its so bad it makes you want to laugh. And plus once I get used to voice actors for my anime characters, I can't go back. I can't imagine listening to a dub of Haruhi Suzumiya since I've gotten so used to Hirano Aya being her voice actor. Same with Konata Izumi from Lucky Star. So for me, its almost always: Subs>Dubs.
Good God is that Lucky Star dub bad.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oveneise said:
Subs all the way. American voice actors lack the enthusiam that Japanese voice actors have

Don't watch shitty dubs then. Problem solved. I've watched a ton of dubs and never once had a problem with the emotion put into it.
The rest of your post is valid enough, i'm more or less the same way, but opposite. I had a really hard time getting used to the jap voice actors for Tales of the Abyss when I watched the anime. I was way too used to the english VA's.
and actually, same for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I didn't really enjoy the movie as much because I felt like the voices were "off" because I was used to the dub (and they're taking their freakin' time releasing the movies dub).

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
Nope that gets explained. I seem to recall it being explained in the dub. I was never confused, lost, or feeling like I missed something going from the dub to sub. They didn't not-explain or poorly explain anything.
Did you...even watch the dub? or are you just arbitrarily saying things about it.
I've downloaded it, and watched several episodes, and deleted it immediately after.

You don't feel like you're missing out on anything because you don't know what you're missing out on. I honestly don't see how you can like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vEOiZmzXrU

I really think you're the only one that likes it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
God forbid I like something others don't, lol.
I've watched it dubbed and subbed (I thought, what the hell since season 2 wasn't dubbed).

Frankly I really didn't feel like I missed anything important. Nor did i even notice missing anything. I still fully understood everything going on and didn't have any questions to ask.

The only real difference is that one was speaking english, the other spoke japanese and I read it. The VA's sounded identical, and I didn't miss much.
Not much to hate.

If you wanna get fussy, then the VN > the subbed anime anyways. The anime for all season of WTC are pretty bad compared to their VN counterparts.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also think the Funi and Ocean dubs of Dragon Ball Z are better than that of the Japanese (I prefer the Funi, though). The Japanese isn't bad, but I can't in good conscience say I like it much.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, VA's sounded identical. Good one.

I posted a comparison video so anyone who cares can decide that for themselves.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, based on that comparison I prefer the dub. Though I hate dubbed characters that are meant to have cute voices (as shown in that same comparison), I think in that field very few English VAs can surpass or be on par with the original Japanese.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
Wow, based on that comparison I prefer the dub. Though I hate dubbed characters that are meant to have cute voices (as shown in that same comparison), I think in that field very few English VAs can surpass or be on par with the original Japanese.

Well it's pretty hard for English VA's to be so high pitched (and cuteness seems to = high pitched). Compared to Japanese VA's who are...well, all sucking down helium or something because it's REALLY common for them to have high pitched voices. When I first started WTC dubbed I honestly considered watching it subbed, but 1 episode later and I was fine with 'em since they actually fit pretty fantastically.

Hm, on that note.
I hate when animes have a fantastic dub, except ONE character. That drives me nuts.
Off the top of my head I can think of Tears to Tiara (which actually only had a decent dub overall) but one of the main characters was this one retard who can not speak properly at all. He never fits any role he's set to voice. He drove me nuts the whole time but I loved the other voice actors so I kept watching it dubbed.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
I mostly watch sub's atm, because i'm quite updated with my anime and well subs comes out before dubs.
tongue.gif

If there's a dub to the anime though i'll first watch a few episodes to see if the dubs are good, vice versa if it's dual audio. Then i determine which is better and continue on.

An example of an anime in which it's dub is better than it's sub is (IMO) Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X).

For a sub it may be One Piece.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What the hell was that Syl?