Gaming xenoblade sub or dub?

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've played the dub for around 10 minutes and dont like it. the acting is just of a really poor standard imo.. not a fan of the "scottish/welsh/english" voice cast either as im from england it sounds very unnatural to me.

ur thoughts?

quite likes the japanese voices in all honesty maybe cos i watch anime subbed. not stellar by any means but felt they fit the characters more.

will i miss much going sub other than the battle chants (which might be a good thing?)

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i always go for sub when given the choice, it is way more original.
and the japs voice acting is always so top notch.

when i play this game i know what audio option i will choose.

Reactions: Alkéryn

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normally I only play sub. But this time i really loved the british accent of the Characters. Just finished the game and I really loved the dub.

I changed then to sub and looked again the ingame Movies.... it felt wierd because I played over 120h with the dub and you stick with it.

So just Decide in the first couple of hours what you like more and stick with it.
You will learn to love it ~ whatever your choice will be

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sub for sure, it's hell of a lot better lipsynced plus most characters fit with it, and it was the original language after all.

D

Deleted-379826

In Cowboy Bebop. Everything else anime has been better subbed. In gaming it depends, but heavily anime-influenced games are better subbed for sure.
By Dub>Sub I specifically meant Dragon Ball. :P

Reactions: fedehda
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Voice acting is shit all around. Really poor directing work. You're in for a rough time in both sub and dub. Go for sub maybe, because at least you can't understand it, so you won't cringe as hard. But honestly, English VA horribly underplays some scenes, Japanese VA horribly overplays some scenes (especially the mellow scenes that are supposed to be softer). English VA has more variety in voices, though, so imo the characters were much more memorable. Japanese VA is your basic cliche anime voices that you'll never distinguish from anything. Also, only the Japanese VA has lip sync. if you go English, all the lip animations will be horribly out of sync. It's a really mixed bag. Toss a coin or something and then forget the voice acting sucks ass as hard as you can so you can enjoy the great story.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, lip sync is a issue of the game being localized. The game itself is fixed to work with the japanese voice overs, not the english. The programmers don't alter the animations to fit the english voice overs for the localized releases of the game, so they only have one animation that only fits with the japanese dub. This is a common thing among video games and is not something that is easily gone unnoticed. Therefore the japanese voice overs should have better fits the lip sync. Let's be honest though, the only impressive character animations is during the fight scenes, other than that is repeated loops of a talking animation with no intention to sync anything.

Though I play the game with the english voice overs some games that don't bother to do any, I know is always the main part of criticism of many things from Japanese media being localized. Rather than start a debate of which is better or more tolerable, I use English simply cause it allows me to easily understand things rather than need to read subtitles within a short time span during the progressing story that I can just hear what they say and process the context faster. Is not a debate whether one is better by opinion of how the actors sound but by being able to have less difficulty in processing information. Perhaps when the New game plus arrives, I may download the 800MB+ Japanese language and give it a try, besides the names may be different. Pyra being called Homura, I doubt is much, but unless we knew japanese then it wouldn't matter much.

D

Deleted User

I like the dub, for the majority of the characters.

Nia and Rex's voices I fucking hate, the scottish just stands out waaaaaay too much amongst everyone elses voices, in a really bad way.
While I absolutely love Pyra & Mithra's voices, genuinely love them.

I haven't really played much of the Jap voices though.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried both. My only issue with the English dub is the awkward pauses the voice actors take when trying to match up their voices with the speed at which the scene transitions from one character to the other. It's super unnatural. Other than that, I like the dub .

Dromarch sounds awesome in both .

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've played both in Japanese and English.
I prefer English this time, for some reason, I'm weird perhaps.
I just love a couple of the English voice actors, specially Nia's.
The Japanese dub is way better synched to the action, and there are no "weird pauses", that is for sure.

In the end, as always, just try and choose whatever floats your boat.
This time I went with the English dub.

PS: And again, considering I love Nia's English/Scottish VA, it all proves again that "whatever floats your boat" is the way to go, specially seeing how some other people hate her.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn