xenoblade sub or dub?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by aofelix, Feb 8, 2018.

1. aofelix
    OP

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    I've played the dub for around 10 minutes and dont like it. the acting is just of a really poor standard imo.. not a fan of the "scottish/welsh/english" voice cast either as im from england it sounds very unnatural to me.

ur thoughts?

quite likes the japanese voices in all honesty maybe cos i watch anime subbed. not stellar by any means but felt they fit the characters more.

will i miss much going sub other than the battle chants (which might be a good thing?)

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Sub for sure IMO.

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Sub. The English dub is actual shit

4. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i always go for sub when given the choice, it is way more original.
    and the japs voice acting is always so top notch.

when i play this game i know what audio option i will choose.

Alkéryn likes this.
  5. jahrs

jahrs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    did not now you could change that played through the game in english and cringed when the words and mouths didnt match up with timing.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Subs. Dragon Ball FighterZ gets it, subbed by default.

7. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Dub>Sub though.

8. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    the first xenobalde chronicles has a very good dub, haven't played the second yet....

Last edited by Eddypikachu, Feb 8, 2018
  9. Frexxos

Frexxos Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2015
    Germany
    Normally I only play sub. But this time i really loved the british accent of the Characters. Just finished the game and I really loved the dub.

I changed then to sub and looked again the ingame Movies.... it felt wierd because I played over 120h with the dub and you stick with it.

So just Decide in the first couple of hours what you like more and stick with it.
    You will learn to love it ~ whatever your choice will be

10. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Honestly both are pretty bad as they don't match the characters well at all.

Pick whichever doesn't make you want to snap Rex's neck.

DarthDub and 8BitWonder like this.
  11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not as bad as the last game though.

12. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sub for sure, it's hell of a lot better lipsynced plus most characters fit with it, and it was the original language after all.

13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    In Cowboy Bebop. Everything else anime has been better subbed. In gaming it depends, but heavily anime-influenced games are better subbed for sure.

14. TheVinAnator

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    By Dub>Sub I specifically meant Dragon Ball. :P

fedehda likes this.
  15. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Voice acting is shit all around. Really poor directing work. You're in for a rough time in both sub and dub. Go for sub maybe, because at least you can't understand it, so you won't cringe as hard. But honestly, English VA horribly underplays some scenes, Japanese VA horribly overplays some scenes (especially the mellow scenes that are supposed to be softer). English VA has more variety in voices, though, so imo the characters were much more memorable. Japanese VA is your basic cliche anime voices that you'll never distinguish from anything. Also, only the Japanese VA has lip sync. if you go English, all the lip animations will be horribly out of sync. It's a really mixed bag. Toss a coin or something and then forget the voice acting sucks ass as hard as you can so you can enjoy the great story.

16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    First of all, lip sync is a issue of the game being localized. The game itself is fixed to work with the japanese voice overs, not the english. The programmers don't alter the animations to fit the english voice overs for the localized releases of the game, so they only have one animation that only fits with the japanese dub. This is a common thing among video games and is not something that is easily gone unnoticed. Therefore the japanese voice overs should have better fits the lip sync. Let's be honest though, the only impressive character animations is during the fight scenes, other than that is repeated loops of a talking animation with no intention to sync anything.

Though I play the game with the english voice overs some games that don't bother to do any, I know is always the main part of criticism of many things from Japanese media being localized. Rather than start a debate of which is better or more tolerable, I use English simply cause it allows me to easily understand things rather than need to read subtitles within a short time span during the progressing story that I can just hear what they say and process the context faster. Is not a debate whether one is better by opinion of how the actors sound but by being able to have less difficulty in processing information. Perhaps when the New game plus arrives, I may download the 800MB+ Japanese language and give it a try, besides the names may be different. Pyra being called Homura, I doubt is much, but unless we knew japanese then it wouldn't matter much.

17. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    I like the dub, for the majority of the characters.

Nia and Rex's voices I fucking hate, the scottish just stands out waaaaaay too much amongst everyone elses voices, in a really bad way.
    While I absolutely love Pyra & Mithra's voices, genuinely love them.

I haven't really played much of the Jap voices though.

DarthDub and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    I've tried both. My only issue with the English dub is the awkward pauses the voice actors take when trying to match up their voices with the speed at which the scene transitions from one character to the other. It's super unnatural. Other than that, I like the dub .

Dromarch sounds awesome in both .

19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I've played both in Japanese and English.
    I prefer English this time, for some reason, I'm weird perhaps.
    I just love a couple of the English voice actors, specially Nia's.
    The Japanese dub is way better synched to the action, and there are no "weird pauses", that is for sure.

In the end, as always, just try and choose whatever floats your boat.
    This time I went with the English dub.

PS: And again, considering I love Nia's English/Scottish VA, it all proves again that "whatever floats your boat" is the way to go, specially seeing how some other people hate her.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Feb 9, 2018
  20. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I actually speak english so even a bad dub is better than some gibberish in a language I dont' know.