Steam Deck celebrates its 1st anniversary with custom startup movies and a discount

The Steam Deck got its first year anniversary on February 25th, and while that date has passed already, Steam didn't forget the momentous occasion. Steam released a special post on March 16th which goes into specific details about the anniversary.

To celebrate and commemorate this, Steam is currently offering a 10% discount on Steam Deck purchases for the duration of the Spring Sale event, which will last until March 23rd, and includes all the current shipping locations in which the Steam Deck is available. Those countries without Deck shipping sadly are not included. As for the Spring Sale event, Steam created a showcase of the top 100 games played for the Deck, and several of which currently have a discount offer on them.

Not only that, but Steam has also brought another feature into the Steam Deck, in the form of a built in feature to modify the startup movie which plays when powering on the Steam Deck, and to go alongside it, the Steam team created 20 customized startup movies for the device, specially created by them for people to select from as part of the Steam Deck's anniversary.

Have you been one of those lucky people to get a Steam Deck during its first year? How has the Steam Deck changed the way you play your games?

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A pointless device. PC is a PC, desktop is a desktop, handheld is a laptop.
A handheld is not a laptop, a laptop is a laptop.

Does this look like a laptop to you:

41qmOAFB6YL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a newcomer to the hardware console/handheld market, and also with its price point and sales done so far, it is a success.
You have to take into consideration that for the best part of 2022, the Steam Deck was on early access and those that wanted one had to wait until their submission got accepted to get one. With the Steam Deck entering full retail on a handful of countries this year, we can only expect it to get better and better in terms of sales and features going forward.
While Gaben went out hand delivering free ones to people.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I believe everyone was waiting to see a Switch killer, but it didn't happen yet.

The Valve machine is a competent companion to the PeeCee, that suffers a bit from bipolarity: it's a computer in smaller, transpostable form factor, or is it a gaming console that happens to be a computer at times?

I love the idea and admire the execution. I don't like Valve, but that's another story.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam Deck is the best purchase I've made in a long time. I initially didn't think I'd use it that much, but it's pretty much my main gaming device now, and I'm even playing more games than usual.

It'd be cool if they figured out how to do VR on it. I had the idea the other day of trying to connect my old Vive to it, and carrying it using a shoulder strap/backpack for untethered PC VR... but the last time I attempted to do anything VR on Linux I had a very bad time. It didn't seem like anyone was even trying to get that to work...but it would be neat.

Reactions: Azael_inf

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice feature to add, even tho you can already have it with Decky Loader ahah.
In any case, good promo for a wonderful system

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe everyone was waiting to see a Switch killer, but it didn't happen yet.

The Valve machine is a competent companion to the PeeCee, that suffers a bit from bipolarity: it's a computer in smaller, transpostable form factor, or is it a gaming console that happens to be a computer at times?

I love the idea and admire the execution. I don't like Valve, but that's another story.
It's a handheld that can play PC games and console games. Heck, it can also play Switch games so kind of pointless to buy a Switch unless you'd want it for online play.

Also, Switch "killer" really? It's a Nintendo console, so it'll obviously sell more than the rest unless they had fucked up pretty badly (like they did with the Wii Pro -- I mean, the Wii U).

• Haha
Reactions: Xzi and Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i could buy 3 switch lite for same price and not need to tweak settings
you also wouldn't be able to
  • play AAA games at stable frame frames
  • play emuation
  • have a decent online
  • get access to steam store
  • play music
  • watch videos on proper streaming apps
  • browse the internet
shall i continue? :creep:

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wonder if valve willl release an official linux tool to make out own boot movies or if that third party app is all were getting via flathub?
Post automatically merged:

I rather find a Mario pic of him flipping off the nintendo switch logo , use that as a boot up movie:rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, lol his videos are hilarious