"Sigil II", an unofficial 6th episode for the original Doom by John Romero, now available

sigil.png

Doom has been one of the most influential games of all time without a doubt, and the legacy that it left behind can still be felt to this very day. Today, the legendary title is celebrating its 30th anniversary, with the original Doom being released back in December 10th, 1993. To commemorate the 30th Anniversary since the franchise's inception, one of the original developers, John Romero, worked on a brand-new unofficial episode for the original title named "Sigil II", who's follow up to his previous unofficial 5th episode "Sigil", released back in 2019.

The brand new episode megawad consistens of 9 levels brand new levels, and the base release is available entirely for free on Romero's website, with the free version including a MIDI OST composed by James Paddock exclusively for Sigil II.

This new release also has a paid/digital only version going for €6.66, which includes an exclusive new OST by THORR. Sigil II also has a few exclusive box versions up for pre-order, with each one having a whole set of items and bonus features, like a custom box art, posters, pins, exclusive Making-of story and video, and much more, depending on the box set pre-order. The boxed sets range from the starting price of €69.95, €89.95 and €154.99 (with the latter two ones being sold-out already).

Those interested can get the free megawad for free and fire it up right now in their favourite Doom source port!
Additionally, both John Romero and John Carmack will join together to celebrate Doom's 30th Anniversary with a special stream titled "To Hell and Back", going live on Romero's Twitch today at 8pm GMT.

:arrow: Get Sigil II
:arrow: Romero.com

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Unofficial my ass, if the original creator of something makes something, to me it's 100% official! If Shigeru Miyamoto made a SMB1 romhack, then to me that'd be official like this is.
Post automatically merged:

Question for those old enough:

If you could go back to December 10th 1993, would you?
probably wait a few years, buy a WebTV Plus.. Maybe somehow get my grubby little hands on some devkits.. Maybe stick around for the early to mid 2000's for the same reasons.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
That would probably ruin the surprise lol

My point was to go back in your own history to whatever age you were then.
Oh I see... I love those times and I'm glad that I lived those era of gaming. I got doom on a pirated set of a lot of disks that had many games on it and even a launcher menu for DOS, I wish I had preserved it. The menu was like a list of games and you just needed to start one .exe to choose your game. This interface like thing was named "data easy", never found this program again.
I did not knew at that time that one of those games would become a legend, and most of other ones would be forgotten.

PressToStart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah! That's great! It's insane the fact that Doom refuses do die with the mod support. Meanwhile Bethesda still doing some shady business tactics with the mods for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

• Haha
Reactions: Purple_Heart

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I see... I love those times and I'm glad that I lived those era of gaming. I got doom on a pirated set of a lot of disks that had many games on it and even a launcher menu for DOS, I wish I had preserved it. The menu was like a list of games and you just needed to start one .exe to choose your game. This interface like thing was named "data easy", never found this program again.
I did not knew at that time that one of those games would become a legend, and most of other ones would be forgotten.
I did something similar using the built in feature in DOS 6. It would show a menu at boot, then load a specific DOS configuration and launch the game exe.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Happy 30th Anniversary, Doom! My gaming origin, and the deathless father of all FPSes.
Congrats to Romero for releasing Sigil 2! Hope that he's gonna work on his Doom 2-based project now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!