John Carmack and John Romero will celebrate Doom's 30th Anniversary together in a special stream "To Hell and Back"

F-BcgQrXwAAMkiR.jpg

Doom's most prominent and legendary developers, John Carmack and John Romero, will join to celebrate Doom's 30th Anniversary together in a special stream called "To Hell and Back".

The original Doom was released back in 1993, and the influence and importance that the game had is still felt to this day, with its innovative 3D gaming technology to which id Software were pioneers (thanks to John Carmacks dark magic in programming), its demonic level design (thanks in part to John Romero's level designs) and also, Doom was one of the top 3 games that caused a stir back in the 90s due to the violence and gore depicted in it, eventually opening the way to what would be the ESRB and other rating boards worldwide.

The "To Hell and Back" stream will go live on December 10th, 2023 at 8pm GMT, and will feature both John Carmack and John Romero over at John Romero's Twitch channel, theromero. The same date also marks the release of John Romero's unofficial 6th episode for Doom, titled Sigil "II". December seems to be packed full of Doom content, and with rumours of a new Doom game floating around, we could also expect even more Doom news to drop on that date.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Whatever happened to the other Carmack, Adrian Carmack or something?
He worked with Romero on a Kickstarter game called Blackroom in 2016. Asked for $700,000 USD, only raised $150,000-ish and the game is "on hold" since then.

Last edited by E1ite007,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good to see these two together again, after Romero left id to create Ion Storm and release the infamous Daikatana (though, from what I remember hearing, it wasn't Johnny who created "John Romero's going to make you his bitch!" or whatever the tagline was).

Two id buds together again to celebrate their game. It's great.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mister John "Suck it down" Romero, and mister John "I need a poker in the ass, or my coding is worse than Bethesda" Carmack. This'll be fun. /S

Meanwhile I still can't get a new Duke Nukem because Randy Pitchford of all people wants to be a Tumblr moralist about the property. There is no justice. 🤢

Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Mister John "Suck it down" Romero, and mister John "I need a poker in the ass, or my coding is worse than Bethesda" Carmack. This'll be fun. /S

Meanwhile I still can't get a new Duke Nukem because Randy Pitchford of all people wants to be a Tumblr moralist about the property. There is no justice. 🤢
Randy “Your game? MY game” Pitchford needs to fuck off already.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
He worked with Romero on a Kickstarter game called Blackroom in 2016. Asked for $700,000 USD, only raised $150,000-ish and the game is "on hold" since then.
Apparently it's still coming. All the hype Romero has been generating is probably aimed at making Blackroom viable.

Reactions: HellGhast

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Why are they ?
ID had Nintendo-like prestige back on the day. They were on the first league, and were solid there. Today they are just side actors once in 2 or 3 years, and more often than not they achieve some recognition by releasing games from their gold age on current hardware.

Besides that, when a new game were released, source code from the previous game were made public. Their games had amazing sharewares, today you're lucky if you get a bad demo.

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ho ho, that's a stream I'm not going to miss. I was 15 when Doom came out 800 years ago. Remember playing it on the 486s in the school computer room. We had a cool computer teacher who would let us install and play games so long as no one snitched. Good times. The games we played were Doom 1 and 2, Wolfenstein, and Mortal Kombat. Totally appropriate for the time. XD Since then, I think for the last 20 years, I've played Doom 1, but mostly Doom 2 every year. Sometimes doing a few levels. Sometimes doing a complete run. I never get bored of the games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i have an issue with loading games on usb with usbloadergx on vwii. Is there anyone that can...