Startropics Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Jhongerkong, Nov 25, 2007.

Nov 25, 2007
  1. Jhongerkong
    OP

Member Jhongerkong GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Startropics (and its sequel) are probably the greatest, yet lesser known games ever made. Anyone else remember it?

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Rather mysterious games. They're still completely US-only, and have never been ported or rereleased.

There's also not even a single cameo that I know of in any other game either.

3. Jhongerkong
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, its pretty low-key despite being a first party Nintendo title. It wasnt even released in japan despite the creator of the game being japanese. Its still an amazing series though.

4. diehardfan

Newcomer diehardfan Member

Canada
    Totally agree, I am surprised it never reached the same status as Zelda series. I believe it is suppose to be a sister franchise of Zelda.
    LOVED the first one, 2nd was not as good but still not bad. Would love to see another sequel.

5. onispawn

Newcomer onispawn Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I liked the first one I still have the original cart too. I tried the second one, but I could never get into it. guess I should give it a try again.

6. Jhongerkong
    OP

Canada
  7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I'd love to see a new Startropics game, I'll even buy the VC game in the chance that its sale will have some effect on Nintendo bringing it back. It would do a lot better to nowadays.

8. ShadowStitch

Member ShadowStitch Devilot's Tubtoy

United States
    I loved some Startropics. I got it for my 13th birthday, right before Spring Break. I spent the entire week playing through Startropics and eating these little cookie things. It was still really warm, so I had all the windows open and my shorts on; it was very much like my own little tropical vacation, with the NES' GREAT synth reggae playing.

Remember the part where the pig shows you his one-pixel butthole? I lol'd. And the part where you dipped the letter in water to see the secret message?

Damn...now I wanna go play it again-cola.

Though I was never a fan of the sequel The whole 'uncontrolled jumping' thing made it too difficult for me to thoroughly enjoy on the same level as the first one.

9. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Can any emulator for the DS or GBA play Startropics properly (and also allow me to save)? PocketNES, HVCA and nesDS all play it, but there are fairly serious graphical glitches.