Stargate 3DS is pretty good.

Tofu_mommy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
without formating FAT32 devices to a larger size which windows doesn't support with it's utility
That is a Windows issue rather than anything else. Put the blame where it belongs rather than seeing it as a justification for anything meaningful. Pretty much the only device where I had to deal with exFAT is my Nintendo Switch.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That is a Windows issue rather than anything else. Put the blame where it belongs rather than seeing it as a justification for anything meaningful. Pretty much the only device where I had to deal with exFAT is my Nintendo Switch.
I wrote that the windows utility doesn't support it?
Anyways. That doesn't solve any issues for most users which use windows and many R4 cards have problems with larger SD cards on their own. Some don't even work properly with 32GB SD cards.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stargate has it's clear pros, but also it's clear cons. It only works with 3DS consoles because of the form factor and the DS mode doesn't work if luma CFW is installed. Also, homebrew support is really bad because the DLDI driver doesn't work properly (can be related to exfat support).
But yeah, it's the only DS flashcart to support exfat so it's the only card where you can put all of the DS games onto one SD card and play them (without formating FAT32 devices to a larger size which windows doesn't support with it's utility).
the dldi thing in particular is a little bit of a shame, it might have been cool to have twilightmenu running on it natively and being able to select 3ds games through twilightmenu instead of wood. but for homebrew I'm not necessarily sure it's a big deal, because most up to date homebrew these days is built to run from sd card instead of slot 1, with twilightmenu, so the need to have a flashcard for running ds homebrew isn't there as much

meanwhile a slot 1 card is still relevant for running commercial ds games, until nds bootstrap becomes good enough to be able to run every single game from start to finish without any major issues (it's getting there, but I don't think it can ever be perfect because of hardware limitations on sd card reads and such. like for pokémon gen 5, they have to turn down sd card read speed by a lot to prevent wireless communications from desyncing, which makes the games unplayably laggy when wireless communications are in use, but if the game is running from slot 1 instead of sd, that problem doesn't exist)

if you intended on keeping the console unmodded, then yeah being able to run ds homebrew from the card is important. but imo it's not worth it to stay unmodded, if you get a card like this you should have cfw alongside it, and then ds homebrew you would run from twilightmenu instead. I guess some homebrew might need to be run from flashcart still though, like save editing apps that need to be able to access the save data for your ds games, so it would depend on how much you need those or not

what I'm wondering though, is speaking of cfw, if it's possible we could get unsigned .3ds roms working from either sky3ds or stargate, as long as you had cfw to disable cartridge checks and all that. so I tried, the twl menu for stargate doesnt function with decrypted roms but the roms appear to be functional within the menu and are selectable once you re-encrypt them. but then once you get back to the home menu, you find that the next rom was loaded instead (the buttons skip over the unsigned file, as well)

I'm guessing the card's firmware itself is doing the signature verifications by itself before letting the home menu see the rom, because there's no way the home menu could force stargate to switch to the next rom. unless there is no check on the firmware side, and it just reacts to the home menu rejecting the unsigned rom by automatically loading the next one instead. I would assume that cfw doesn't currently patch out cartridge checks for 3ds games, because why would it? there was never a need for that kind of patch.

Last edited by 4d1xlaan,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if you get a card like this you should have cfw alongside it, and then ds homebrew you would run from twilightmenu instead.
But this is the problem. The DS mode doesn't work with cfw. You can't use twilightmenu and the card for roms because the card won't work with a luma installation with twilight.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But this is the problem. The DS mode doesn't work with cfw. You can't use twilightmenu and the card for roms because the card won't work with a luma installation with twilight.
it does work with cfw. I have no problems on my end. it's with luma that it doesn't work

granted, most will want to use luma, but hey

note this could potentially also be fixed, one day: https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/issues/2046

HoRy205

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello! I'm thinking about buying Stargate 3DS. Can I use cheats on DS games? I'd like to buy it if the cheats work the same as on wood kernel cartridges such as r4i gold.

moon_rabbit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Reactions: HoRy205

HoRy205

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's so weird. it's just wood rpg, wood rpg features should just work, cheats should just work. there's even the option for cheats in game in the settings, and if your put usrcheat.dat at /sg_system/cheats/ then it recognizes it, and the "cheats" button shows up on the Y button menu for ds games

yet pressing X or tapping the button does nothing

lol

maybe their dldi is so shit that it can recognize the file exists, but fails to read it correctly when you try to load cheats list

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am, what? That's surprising, bcs ultra sun works
I just had to try because of you, and no, ultra sun doesn't work here either

unless... what region rom are you using? I tried usa rom here but maybe jp/korean/taiwan version have some difference that makes it work when usa one doesnt

aside from that, yo kai watch 3 also doesnt work, which just so happens to also be a 4GB rom...

it would be nice to figure out what causes games to not work on it though. it's (probably?) not sdk version because yo kai watch 3 uses 11.4 sdk, other newer games built on newer sdk work fine (and other 11.4 sdk games work, too)

it's not extended memory games, because mario maker 3ds also works. it reboots itself to extended memory mode and continues fine from there

not sure about ap, because many games that had ap that old sky3ds couldn't run also work on stargate... though maybe stargate only manages to pass some of the ap checks, and the games that dont work just happen to use the few ap checks stargate doesnt bypass

Last edited by 4d1xlaan,

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I just had to try because of you, and no, ultra sun doesn't work here either

unless... what region rom are you using? I tried usa rom here but maybe jp/korean/taiwan version have some difference that makes it work when usa one doesnt

aside from that, yo kai watch 3 also doesnt work, which just so happens to also be a 4GB rom...

it would be nice to figure out what causes games to not work on it though. it's (probably?) not sdk version because yo kai watch 3 uses 11.4 sdk, other newer games built on newer sdk work fine (and other 11.4 sdk games work, too)

it's not extended memory games, because mario maker 3ds also works. it reboots itself to extended memory mode and continues fine from there

not sure about ap, because many games that had ap that old sky3ds couldn't run also work on stargate... though maybe stargate only manages to pass some of the ap checks, and the games that dont work just happen to use the few ap checks stargate doesnt bypass
It's a dump from my Europe cartridge.

moon_rabbit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Analyzing the differences between roms will give us the answer.
However, I don't think there's a manual that properly identifies AP of 3ds cartridge.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
If i remember correctly Nintendo made some changes to block earlier Sky3DS carts. Possibly they didn't fix that on the Stargate before they disappeared.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Does the mature last longer
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hopefully.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not according to Psi
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol hi
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Sup.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Been on a bad manga binge recently. Wow there's a lot of shit out there.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Wdym? You read anything new?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't know if they're new, but I've read Shibuya Goldfish, Starving Anonymous, Tokyo Underworld (Shin Tokyo), Pumpkin Night, and Ajin. What's been released so far.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh nice. Never read those titles before.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just said they were shit though :tpi:
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least its better than nothing, could be worst. You could be watching an entire series for days lol.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Shibuya Goldfish, starts off fine, meanders off into bullshit. Shin Tokyo, same. Starving Anonymous doesn't know where it's going from the start and is overall meh. Pumpkin Night is a parody of slasher horrors and the first volume is fun. Then it goes downhill.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It emulates slasher franchises in that the first movie is semi-plausible but then in the sequels the killer is some immortal unkillable thing, then they retcon the origin story, then there's cults, demons, government involvement, and everything kind of goes sideways.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Halloween, Friday the 13th...
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    And the manga does all that but it stops being a parody and starts just playing it straight.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There are two-three scanlations out there done by, let's say, drastically different people.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm reading the one by the brainrot skibidi zoomer because it's the funniest one.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So she stole like 150 wings? Lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I read where John Carpenter is working with game developers and making a Halloween game with Michael Myers, should be cool. Did say just starting so prob years out.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hope its a single player tho, tired of all these online multiplayer only horror games.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Michelle Myers after he got his sex change
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Multiplayer could be fun, as long as it's asymmetrical and you don't have 20 Michael Myerses running around the level.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But if you have one superhuman maniac on one end and a bunch of underpowered players on the other, might be fun.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea like the Friday 13th game.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea like the Friday 13th game.