Hacking Spoof explained. For people who want play games from 7.55 on old firmwares

Ghost_of_Tsushima

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
As far as all you know, after the release of the 7.55 hack, The Last of US 2 and Ghost of Tsushima were immediately posted with their backports and they worked well. Nevertheless, there appeared some complications with some other games, such as Crash Bandicoot 4, Spider Man: Miles Morales, Immortals Fenyx Rising. Consequently, everyone started talking about a so-called "spoof", which appeared to be extremely important for playing new games.

Let's figure out how things work.
If you want to play a new game on old firmware, there two things are needed. First, you need to force a game to use SDK of lower version, which you outdated firmware contains. This is exactly what backport does. And second, you need to fake you PS4 firmware version to make your PS4 believe that it has a proper firmware to run a new game. It is called spoof.

Spoof is a standard feature of Jailbreak (HEN) functionality. In fact, spoof is already built-in into HEN from the very beginning. The main issue is what exact faked version it provides. The latest official versions of HEN - 2.1.3 and 2.1.4, which we typically use, can spoof your firmware only up to version 7.02. It is quite logical that such games as Spider or Crash, which require at least 7.55 firmware, will not install and run on firmware faked to be just 7.02, even if you have a backport installed.

There appeared a temporary solution which seems to be quite logical: if HEN spoofs only up to 7.02, and the game needs 7.55, why not "spoof" manually, especially concidering existance of special payloads for this. Despite being logical, this solution has a disadvantage. It is inconvenient to run payload for spoof manualy everytime.
That is how people start to believe that spoof it something special that is needed to play 7.55 games.

A real solution to the problem appeared a little bit later, when there appeared modified versions of HEN which include a built-in spoof, which fakes firmware to version higher than nomal HENs do. Theese modified HENs spoof firmware up to 9.0, while normal ones spoof only up to 7.02. The most famous of these HENs are Leeful HEN 2.1.4 with spoof up to 9.0 and HEN 2.1.4b by Karo with spoof up to 9.9

This means that if you want to play the lastest games on 5.05 or 6.72 you just have to update your jailbreak (using proper exploit host) to up-to-date version which includes modified HEN, capable of spoofing to 9.0 and runing new games. If you did so you wouldn't have to spoof anything manualy. Everything will be happening automaticaly.

So go here and download Leeful's brand new update:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...ps4-firmware-5-05.553359/page-30#post-9403923

Last edited by Ghost_of_Tsushima,
Reactions: luckyguy88

arfgh

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
@Leeful, taking in considerationg all this, and the fixed '505HEN_9.00-Spoof', i want to recommend to release a new version of PS-Phwroar! with the 2 patches you created, todex, and this spoof... i think that is better...

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not part of the scene, but isn't the blame mostly on those doing the porting?

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not part of the scene, but isn't the blame mostly on those doing the porting?
https://twitter.com/_AlAzif/status/1371814171541528577
I think the update/backport pkg needs to be set as the same FW verion as the base pkg or it will not install.
The only way around it is to make a single combined pkg from the base and backport pkg and set the FW version lower in that.

I would not like that though because I like to have clean unedited pkgs and updates.

Last edited by Leeful,
Reactions: Valery0p and KiiWii

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think the update/backport pkg needs to be set as the same FW verion as the base pkg or it will not install.
The only way around it is to make a single combined pkg from the base and backport pkg and set the FW version lower in that.

I would not like that though because I like to have clean unedited pkgs and updates.
The guys at No intro are going to have some fun with discerning patched from untouched dumps...

Reactions: Leeful

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually have all of my packages complete, along with backports, so if I ever need unedited packages, I can install them. in fact, Joonie told me that I shouldn't use backports if I ever update, that I should just reinstall the games without them. I'm not sure why. though, on the ps3, this is also recommended, because some game resignings can cause problems like black screens and whatnot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The guys at No intro are going to have some fun with discerning patched from untouched dumps...

I made sure to separate mine:

upload_2021-3-21_7-55-33.png

:P

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do exactly the same.:) I also hate it when a fpkg is released with the game and update combined into one pkg. Sure it might save some HDD space but I like to have things clean and seperate.

I noticed that some uploaders do that due to that gengp4 error where the base package has to have 1.00 for app and master version or it will find nothing. I edited the gengp4 for my four games that wouldn't go through, and it worked. base pkg and update are separate.

InvisibleMuppet

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If spoofing the requires firmware works. I'd think changing the requires firmware doe the game should work too.

The backports patches that are provided only changed the requires SDK version, not the requires system software version when you check Them.

The requires SDK version is in the param.sfo i think. Also all executables (eboot /prx) files state which fw version they need.

I tried patching all of that and then when i check in fpkg tools it says required fw version is 5.05 but IT gives an ce-34878-0 error when loading the game.

btaggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 5.05 and I am using goldHen which is supposed to spoof the firmware and the 7.55 games still do not work.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell you that goldhen should work. spider man, for example, as listed at the top is supposed to require spoofing. however, goldhen was all I needed, plus a backport that was misnamed on the site I was on. it called the normal update a fix, then there was a backport also, so I originally deleted the backport. then, I redownloaded it when the game didn't work. I hex compared the two files, but that wasn't even needed. I could tell from the first few lines in hex that they were different. game works for me. I don't have any of those games you mentioned though.

btaggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need back ported patches to play higher than 5.05 games on 5.05.... not just a spoofed hen.
Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly buy I am using the latest backporting tool as well. I also was able to backport many games on 6.72 and 7.02. No luck so far with 7.55 games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly buy I am using the latest backporting tool as well. I also was able to backport many games on 6.72 and 7.02. No luck so far with 7.55 games.

the sdk is most likely your problem. you'd need to use IDA to fix certain offsets. of course, you could always download the backport.

btaggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sdk is most likely your problem. you'd need to use IDA to fix certain offsets. of course, you could always download the backport.
Oh ok. IDA? I wasn't aware of that step. I know where to download games but I haven't seen backport patches for download. I have always generated them myself.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a tutorial on using IDA, but I don't know if it has all the ways about fixing games. you need to be an expert at using IDA if you want to have much success. dunno why there's no backport for those games, but it's still very early. fixing a game with IDA can take hours sometimes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over