Sources claim that Game Boy Color games are headed to Nintendo Switch Online's service

ewwea.png

For a few years now, Nintendo has been adding a handful of games on occasion to its NES and SNES library for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. Those tired of just those two platforms might be interested to know that there's potentially a new-old catalog of games headed to the Switch, if rumors are to be believed. An episode of a Nate the Hate podcast speculated that Game Boy games were to be imminently offered as part of Switch Online, with two other news outlets--Eurogamer and NintendoLife--corroborating the report with inside sources. Eurogamer even claims that more than just Game Boy and Game Boy Color games are being considered for eventual release, while NintendoLife contradicted it, saying that they did not hear any mention of anything beyond just GB/C.

For now, it remains unconfirmed, though this month marks the third anniversary of Nintendo Switch Online as a service, which would make it an opportune time to have such a reveal. Previously, a UI datamine implied that more than just NES games would be added, with SNES being the only new platform to be offered since then. Do you expect to see Game Boy games arrive on the Switch? Or perhaps more than just that, eventually?

Nintendo Life has also confirmed with its own sources that Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles are likely coming to the Switch Online service "really soon".

The same insider is far less optimistic about Game Boy Advance titles arriving on the paid online service in the near future - noting how several companies are currently working on re-releases, including Nintendo, who has the Advance Wars remaster coming out this December. We've also not heard anything about Game Boy Advance titles being included in this update.

:arrow: Source

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
GBC and GBA should have been there from the start, even before NES and SNES, since the Switch is a handheld after all - I mean the Switch Lite is handheld only for example.

I'd love to see N64, Gamecube, Wii, and NDS on there, but I imagine that might be a lot more complicated, for different reasons (processing power, I/O, etc.)

Now, I hope we'll get to play Oracle of Ages/Seasons on the Switch soon but I'm not holding my breath.

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I’d of course prefer being able to actually own these games ala virtual console, but at this point I’d just be happy for convenient access to GBC/GBA games on the go. Especially since it’s such a chore to dig for my 3DS at this point

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
here's an idea... connect your smartphone to the Switch via bluetooth or something, and get the DS's bottom screen to show up on on your smartphone while the top screen is shown on the Switch :D
yeah, that will NEVER happen.

It might be easier for nintendo to just sell a vertical grip case.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Limiting it to just GB and GBC does sound like a very Nintendo move. I'd want GBA games in there, but clearly that would be a separate service that might never come. Though I guess it would kinda be a parallel with how NES games were added first, then SNES games came later.

Reactions: 64bitmodels and Xzi

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Limiting it to just GB and GBC does sound like a very Nintendo move. I'd want GBA games in there, but clearly that would be a separate service that might never come. Though I guess it would kinda be a parallel with how NES games were added first, then SNES games came later.
come on GBA is not so unrealistic.
It's only 240x160 pixels... lol. The switch can do it!

Reactions: Xzi

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good lord what the hell is Nintendo doing? where the hell is everything else? N64, Gamecube, Wii, DS, GBA... why weren't Gameboy games there from the start?

what is Nintendo doing????????

Reactions: 64bitmodels

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
come on GBA is not so unrealistic.
It's only 240x160 pixels... lol. The switch can do it!
I didn't say it was unrealistic, I just said it's a very Nintendo move to not include them in the same service with GB and GBC, and instead maybe offer it to us later as a separate service, if they're feeling generous.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
GBC and GBA should have been there from the start, even before NES and SNES, since the Switch is a handheld after all - I mean the Switch Lite is handheld only for example.

They sure don't treat it as a handheld most of the time. Most games released aren't designed to play on the go, just ported there.

I'd love to see N64, Gamecube, Wii, and NDS on there, but I imagine that might be a lot more complicated, for different reasons (processing power, I/O, etc.)

We could have already some more Wii and GameCube games there, at least the ones already ported to the NVidia Shield in China.

Gamer90Kirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
They sure don't treat it as a handheld most of the time. Most games released aren't designed to play on the go, just ported there.

We could have already some more Wii and GameCube games there, at least the ones already ported to the NVidia Shield in China.

Why port for free when you can repackage and sell? Like the Mario collection. Nintendo needs your money.

Also, do people really want Nintendo to rererererelease them on the eShop so you can rerererepurchase them? You probably already own these physically and on the 3DS.

Last edited by Gamer90Kirby,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show