Sources claim that Game Boy Color games are headed to Nintendo Switch Online's service

ewwea.png

For a few years now, Nintendo has been adding a handful of games on occasion to its NES and SNES library for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. Those tired of just those two platforms might be interested to know that there's potentially a new-old catalog of games headed to the Switch, if rumors are to be believed. An episode of a Nate the Hate podcast speculated that Game Boy games were to be imminently offered as part of Switch Online, with two other news outlets--Eurogamer and NintendoLife--corroborating the report with inside sources. Eurogamer even claims that more than just Game Boy and Game Boy Color games are being considered for eventual release, while NintendoLife contradicted it, saying that they did not hear any mention of anything beyond just GB/C.

For now, it remains unconfirmed, though this month marks the third anniversary of Nintendo Switch Online as a service, which would make it an opportune time to have such a reveal. Previously, a UI datamine implied that more than just NES games would be added, with SNES being the only new platform to be offered since then. Do you expect to see Game Boy games arrive on the Switch? Or perhaps more than just that, eventually?

Nintendo Life has also confirmed with its own sources that Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles are likely coming to the Switch Online service "really soon".

The same insider is far less optimistic about Game Boy Advance titles arriving on the paid online service in the near future - noting how several companies are currently working on re-releases, including Nintendo, who has the Advance Wars remaster coming out this December. We've also not heard anything about Game Boy Advance titles being included in this update.

:arrow: Source

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The amount of complaining people do about a service that costs less than $20 a year for access to 100+ games (in addition to other online capabilities) always surprises me.

Reactions: ut2k4master

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this would be pretty neat. I only bought nso for cloud saving, but I have beaten a couple or so games on the snes (breath of fire and super mario world). I haven't beaten any games on the nes. I also did buy two of the snes and 2 of the nes controllers. kinda don't like the fact that you have to attach the nes ones to the console as there's no charging port. I bought a charger that resembles the side rails of the switch, that I've attached my nes controllers to. and, both sets of controllers can be used to play nes/snes emulators on the pc. :D

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can see them re-releaseing gen 1and 2 again skipping the whole pokemon bank to home thing then shutting down the 3ds servers (but then we have gen 6 and 7 still:()

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
The amount of complaining people do about a service that costs less than $20 a year for access to 100+ games (in addition to other online capabilities) always surprises me.
It's that the service could have been SOOOOO much more. There's next to nothing on it.

It could have GBA, N64, gameboy, virtual boy (yes really), Sega/neo Geo games even. There should be 50+ games of each platform

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehhh their SNES lineup isn't even complete and they don't even release SNES games on the switch timely... it's a good start but ehh emulators are better

But if they would put them on I'll take it

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When we think gb/c games we think of the good ones, but one look at what the 3ds vc had to offer for that and my hype is dead.

If they're bringing gb they could at the very least have the decency to add the super game boy features, Kirby dream Land 2 sucks in bw.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now, I hope we'll get to play Oracle of Ages/Seasons on the Switch soon but I'm not holding my breath.
You are the admin of gbatemp. I'm suprised to find out you're not using Atmosphère + RetroArch on your Switch to achieve just that. :P

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hope you enjoy your 5 Gameboy Color games.
Don't worry, there will be 10 more over the duration of the next few years.
Maybe Nintendo will start to think about Game Boy Advance after that.

Reactions: Costello

Guggimon

GBAtemp's Fucker, Alt Banned and McFuckaroo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBC and GBA should have been there from the start, even before NES and SNES, since the Switch is a handheld after all - I mean the Switch Lite is handheld only for example.

I'd love to see N64, Gamecube, Wii, and NDS on there, but I imagine that might be a lot more complicated, for different reasons (processing power, I/O, etc.)

Now, I hope we'll get to play Oracle of Ages/Seasons on the Switch soon but I'm not holding my breath.

I totally agree, The NES & SNES NSO Games are crap, not all but half of them are. Nintendo should do more with NSO instead of this,
Just add GBA, GCN and N64 and you don't hear me again. NINTENDO!!!!!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
good lord what the hell is Nintendo doing? where the hell is everything else? N64, Gamecube, Wii, DS, GBA... why weren't Gameboy games there from the start?

what is Nintendo doing????????
I wanna know why there isn't some kind of StreetPass type of thing for the Switch, to further encourage people to travel with them. There's also no built-in mini games either. I just wish some 3DS features had been carried over to the Switch. We didn't even get cameras or a mic this time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night