Hacking Official [Source Release] ReiNand CFW

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
btw, why the firmware.bin file changed?

Legal purposes. Rei encrypted it with a key he made up ("memekey") so that it can be redistributed with less issues. I sort of wish it'd just use the one from NUS with the CETK (which would give compatibility with the one Cakes uses) but that'd add some complicated code to a simple code base..

Don't compile with "gnu tools arm embedded", just use devkitPro/devkitARM.

Reactions: tom2199

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legal purposes. Rei encrypted it with a key he made up ("memekey") so that it can be redistributed with less issues. I sort of wish it'd just use the one from NUS with the CETK (which would give compatibility with the one Cakes uses) but that'd add some complicated code to a simple code base..

Honestly it should be easier. To get the file we use, Rei takes the NUS one and decrypts it using the CETK and then encrypts it using his own key. The slot0x11key96 key that cakes uses is autogenerated by the system during firmlaunch from what I understand (to avoid legal issues with hard coding the key).

So whether reinand uses the NUS file and decrypts it using CETK, or uses a personally encrypted one and decrypts it, the file STILL has to be decrypted. Same for whether the cfw uses a hard coded slot0x11key96, pulls it from a bin file or uses code to generate the key. At the end of the day the slot 11 key has to be used, and it seems to me that the code for reading a key from a file and using it would be far simpler than creating the key to use.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The gateway Launcher.dat is heavily encrypted (even multiple encryption layers, if I'm not misremembering stuff) and it's prohibited to be shared here because it contains firmwares inside, though.

Reactions: daxtsu

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So whether reinand uses the NUS file and decrypts it using CETK, or uses a personally encrypted one and decrypts it, the file STILL has to be decrypted. Same for whether the cfw uses a hard coded slot0x11key96, pulls it from a bin file or uses code to generate the key. At the end of the day the slot 11 key has to be used, and it seems to me that the code for reading a key from a file and using it would be far simpler than creating the key to use.

I know it would still have to be decrypted, but I wasn't really getting at that. By having the user provide the encrypted binary and cetk, it removes the legal burden off Rei completely, rather than risk skirting things with this memekey and the encrypted blob. It's as simple as using a web browser to grab both files off the Nintendo server for the end user.

Reactions: klear and Aroth

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know it would still have to be decrypted, but I wasn't really getting at that. By having the user provide the encrypted binary and cetk, it removes the legal burden off Rei completely, rather than risk skirting things with this memekey and the encrypted blob. It's as simple as using a web browser to grab both files off the Nintendo server for the end user.
Here's something though: decrypting NUS files is slow (takes like 5-6s on Cakes) so it would really slow down boot.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Agreed, which is another reason why I personally feel he should handle it that way. The code should be simpler and there is far less legal ramifications towards Rei.

Here's something though: decrypting NUS files is slow (takes like 5-6s on Cakes) so it would really slow down boot.

Could do like rxTools does and do this:

It could just dump the decrypted file to SD when it's done, and use that on future boots. :P

Though at that point you are looking at something that is more complicated to write code for, I think.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hmmz, latest release hangs on ReiNAND bootlogo :/ (First time reinand doesn't boot after updating)
reading the last few posts, it gets a bit confusing, do i still need the firmware.bin in the rei folder?

Did you update Reinand.dat too? And yes, you always need the firmware.bin in the rei folder (but this time you need to use the one from Github, and not the dropbox link).

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
I only added my own encryption so i could add firmware to the zip and it'd be:
A. 'legal' to some degree
B. less code then parsing an 'illegal' encrypted file
and
C. prevent all the firmware.bin confusion with people using the wrong ones somehow.
Seems its already still happening though, lol.. i cant win. >.<

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and
C. prevent all the firmware.bin confusion with people using the wrong ones somehow.
Don't hate the game, hate the player (because apparently they're still stupid >.>)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
and

Probably the only thing you could really do is combine emunand.bin, thread.bin, and reinand.dat into one file, and then the only other things that get used are splash.bin (which is optional anyway) and firmware.bin. Then the only thing that can go wrong is either A) they forgot to put firmware.bin or B) reinand.dat is out of date.

But yeah, you can't possibly cover all user error unless you make it like Gateway's .dat and include the firmware.bin inside it, but then that just brings back the legal issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F