Sony now claim they legitimised gaming!!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
Well Nintendo still rules with consoles from a while back.
Like the 64 is really fun still today but when you get out a PS1...
And the thing that makes Nintendo best is They have a Soul!
Something that Sony is lacking...
And the Playstation 1 2 and 3 are basically the same, just upgraded...
Playstation 1: CD, Playstation 2: DVD and Playstation 3: Blu-Ray.
But Nintendo like to do stuff different so we love 'em for that.
Like a Touch Screen Handheld!A console where the controller is a remote that you can use as a tennis racket!or even a 3D handheld and even one thay lets you appear on screen in the games!
And sony...[Sarcasm]Oh yeah a HD console with hardcore games which is exactly the same as the PS2 just with alot of upgrades, oh yeah![/Sarcasm]

Uh, what? You realize the gaming industry is all about making upgraded consoles. And there's a huge difference between a CD, DVD, and Bluray disc. CD's hold 700MB or so, if memory serves me right. DVD's hold about 4.7GB. Bluray holds 25GB. And Nintendo's gimped medium for games has hurt. A Gamecube disc holds like what, 1.7GB? N64 cartridges, I don't know, I think they maxed at 64MB. And for today, The Wii uses DVDs (4.7GB), the Xbox uses dual layered DVDs (which are like 8GB roughly), and as I mentioned before, the PS3 uses Bluray (which is 25GB, dual layered going to 50GB). More data equals more game.

If you think the PS3 is nothing more than a better looking PS2, then you have no clue what you're talking about.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
More data equals more game.

Except in the case of Final Fantasy XIII, where more data means more movies and about 20 minutes of actual game in the average hour.

Heh, FFVII could literally fit on about half of a CD if it had no movies, but the movies pushed it to 3 discs, which required the actual game data to be copied to all 3.

And RE2 was ported to the N64 (though it required highly compressed video to do so). 2 CDs vs the 64MB the cartridge could hold.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guild McCommunist said:
The Wii uses DVDs (4.7GB), the Xbox uses dual layered DVDs (which are like 8GB roughly)

I think you forgot that the Metroid Prime Trilogy is a dual layer DVD

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
First off, the title is bullshit. It doesn't say they invented gaming, it says they legitimized it. There's a big difference there. Not even Nintendo invented gaming.

Second, Sony makes a lot of stupid statements. From calling the Move "Wii HD" to a lot of other stupid things, it's something you get used to.

I wouldn't say they legitimized gaming, but they did a lot for it.

It seems like people here just love to jump on the hatetrain for Sony whenever they goddamn can despite not recognizing what they've done for the industry.

This.

Before the generation with Playstation and N64, gaming wasn't considered what it is now. The PSX was much cheaper than the N64, and for a good amount of years, had more great games (Albeit they didn't age as well.). Half of the people complaining in this topic weren't even old enough to have properly played a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis when they were current any ways.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Quite to the contrary. Nintendo top dogs have constantly been saying "HD isn't important to us" and that they're not aiming for their next console to be HD. Even if HD is done next gen, it'd be on levels of the PS3/Xbox this gen. That won't be the case for the other companies. The reason Nintendo did so well this gen was because they were tapping a userbase that Sony and Microsoft couldn't, at least not until now. Next gen every console will be playing on the same field, and odds are Nintendo is gonna be outdone by tech again, like this generation. And Nintendo can't rely on their current userbase for winning next gen, especially with Sony in particular revving up their engines to win next gen.

It wasn't important to them because it hadn't hit a particular market saturation.... look at their recent comment about 3DTVs; they said when it gets to about 30%, they'd like to get into that on a home console. HD has now reached a relatively high level in the market, and Nintendo's next console is guaranteed to be HD.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they went more for power next gen, judging by the route they've taken with the 3DS. The DS was relatively underpowered for its time (though still good enough to look nice, as the Wii can), but it drew in a ****ton of people to the handheld market. With those people drawn, Nintendo is now pushing the specs of the successor and recruiting 3rd party support that previous Nintendo systems (whether handheld or console) could only dream about having. I see no reason why Nintendo won't do something similar with the Wii successor. You're also ignoring the fact that "on the level of the PS3" means grossly overpowered, even by today's standards. If Nintendo released something like that tomorrow (with a bit more thrown in to pull off proper 3-D that the PS3 struggles with), they'd still be ahead of the game. Hell, didn't Sony themselves intend for the PS3 to last a good 10 years? Isn't that what they said, among all the lines of BS they spouted back then? That's one of the reasons it was so hugely powerful... much more so than it needed to be... at launch.

However, the tech is getting cheaper. By the time the Wii's successor rolls around, it'll be much cheaper to produce something that outdoes the 360 and PS3... it alreasy is a lot cheaper, judging by the price drops of the aforementioned consoles. I see no reason why Nintendo wouldn't do so.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uncle FEFL said:
The comments in here are fucking idiotic.

What the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 did was fucking awesome for us gamers. Sony is pathetic sometimes, but not for this statement. Know why? Because they're right for the most part. Yes, the NES is legendary, but the PSOne made gaming MAINSTREAM. The PS2 also helped IMMENSELY when it came out. Something neither the Gamecube, N64, nor even the SNES did. You Nintendo fanboys need to shut-up for once instead of pushing out Sony whenever they make a comment (cocky or not). If they stated they're the reason motion gaming is mainstream, though...flame Sony however badly you want.
wink.gif

To all those who talked about a Jaguar, an Atari, or any other bullshit like that: No. Those consoles were not at all popular. Not in the slightest. Just because they existed, doesn't mean they're famous consoles.

Everyone I knew growing up had an Atari. We went through at least 3 of them before getting an NES. I'm thinking this has to come down to what is considered "mainstream". Buying Atari games at department stores isn't mainstream enough for you? Atari was the first to really mainstream the idea of gaming, even if they didn't do a great job. Atari actually started to fall pretty bad, and then NES came in and brought that market back to life. Sony didn't come into the picture until YEARS later and to be honest I knew a lot more people with NES, genesis, N64, and hell even turbo graphics 16 than I knew who had a Playstation. Granted I bought a PlayStation later on and enjoyed gaming on it, but I don't think it mainstreamed gaming. Gaming was already mainstream or Sony wouldn't have had a market.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are retarded You don't know anything and you make stupid comments everytime Sony does anything you pounce on it and tear it apart like when everybody said they were copying the kinect because they were investing in 3d camera things you guys obviously forgot about the Playstation Eye sure it wasn't popular but the idea was there first.I just ask that you think before you pounce on everything anybody says.OH and the guy who said Nintendo has a soul is quite stupid.Nintendo makes money off you they don't care about customers they care about there profit.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
nintendo were 1st to make a 64bit console when sony was still stuck on 32bit
Actually the N64 had a 32-bit system bus (and no 64-bit instructions), and I'm sure as hell not aware of any game that needed to be big enough to be 64-bit back then, considering 32-bit is enough to address 4 gigabytes, and both the RAM (of the system, including expansion) and ROM combined of each N64 game is well below that amount. Furthermore running in 64-bit mode cuts the number of useful registers in half (since half of them will be for the upper boundry, which is always empty since you're not addressing nearly enough to reach it, let alone fille it), so games used 32bit registers.

They kept advertising it as 64-bit (even though the games were 32-bit) because if you give a guy a choice of something and one spouts higher numbers, the guy's most likely to go for the bigger one even if he doesn't know what those numbers really mean.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uncle FEFL said:
To all those who talked about a Jaguar, an Atari, or any other bullshit like that: No. Those consoles were not at all popular. Not in the slightest. Just because they existed, doesn't mean they're famous consoles.

You must have an odd definition of the word popular. On the Atari 2600, Pacman sold 7 million copies, more than the first Halo. Pitfall sold 4 million, in comparison GTA4 sold 4.3 million. Mario sold 40 million copies. Sure, it was a pack in game. Mario 3, which was not, sold 18 million.

There were TV commercials for Atari 2600 games when I was a kid. Mario got a TV show and a movie. Pac-Man got a Top 10 song, a TV show and cereal.

The PS1 was a great system, and important for the industry, but its popularity was only built upon the foundations of the 20 years before it.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
You guys are retarded You don't know anything and you make stupid comments everytime Sony does anything you pounce on it and tear it apart like when everybody said they were copying the kinect because they were investing in 3d camera things you guys obviously forgot about the Playstation Eye sure it wasn't popular but the idea was there first.I just ask that you think before you pounce on everything anybody says.OH and the guy who said Nintendo has a soul is quite stupid.Nintendo makes money off you they don't care about customers they care about there profit.

This topic seems like one big troll fest, with the opinionated hating coming from both directions.
All it boils down to is Sony said something stupid, nothing really new there. XD

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps what Sony said is true, but not completely, as they are generalizing it too much.

What they probably should have said something along the lines of legitimizing gaming for 15+ age folk at home, because, many gamers of the PSOne were not kids (or were of the generation when they began playing games on earlier systems, like NES or Atari), and "at home" because the late-teens and adults used to get their fix at video arcades.

But let's face it, as each new generation of gaming comes around, they take from the previous generation, and add more people that weren't considered gamers. While Sony may have had a part in legitimizing gaming, so did everyone else. It really wasn't a "one-company" deal.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
the only reason the n64 was beaten by ps1 cos it had the casual market cornered. which nintendo now have a hold of and that's the key.

You hit the nail on the head with comment. Name a console that came before the PS1 that had the casual market cornered. In fact, just name a console before the PS1 that had the casual market. It was computers like the Atari St, Amiga, C64, Speccy etc. that had the causal market before the PS1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: so much lightning shit makes valley of bowser from super mario world tame in comparison