OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
sonylogo1b.jpg

Sony has released its financial results for its fiscal year 2009, which ended on March 31, 2010, and the good news for the company is that PS3 has moved 13M units to date worldwide, which is up 2.9M YoY.

The bad news? Revenues dropped 10.2 percent from $188.6B to $169.4B YoY, however – its operating loss of $938.6M last year was better this year at $890 million.

The losses are being contributed to PSP and PS2 drops, with the handheld’s sales falling 4.2M year-over-year and PS2 falling to 7.3M in 2009 compared to 7.9M its last fiscal year.

PS2 software fell from 83.5M units to 35.7M, and PSP saw a 50.3M drop to 44.4M YoY.For its current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2011, Sony estimates that it will move 15M PS3s, PSP will move 8M and PS2 will blow through 6M.

“Game sales decreased due to unfavorable foreign currency exchange rates and decreases in unit sales of PSP hardware and of PS2 software, although unit sales of PS3 software increased,” the company wrote in its financial report.

It should be noted, that Sony’s game division is now part of its Networked Products & Services division, which includes its VAIO PCs, which also saw an increase in sales during Q4, but the computer’s sales were down for the entire year.

Get the full thing through here and a lovely chart through here.
Source.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
In short, the PS3 is doing really well and both the PS2 and PSP are practically dead. It's time for Sony to concentrate on PS3. Just let the PSP die, bring PS2 backwards compatibility to the PS3 and focus on making a better system than Microsoft!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh, if it wasn't for homebrew, I'd have sold my PSP a LONG LONG time ago...

Though we'll probably see a PSP2 soon, some more 3D-bashing and then a PSP3D-attachment which they'll boast as better than Nintendo's.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Livin in a box said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
PSP shouldn't die, it has quite a lot of potential, now all the game developers need to do is make some use of that potential.
Piracy killed it.

Piracy is probably the only reason the PSP has held on this long. Or at least, the exploits and homebrew sometimes associated with piracy. The PSP Go has none, and it failed.

mariomaniac33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Livin in a box said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
PSP shouldn't die, it has quite a lot of potential, now all the game developers need to do is make some use of that potential.
Piracy killed it.

Piracy is probably the only reason the PSP has held on this long. Or at least, the exploits and homebrew sometimes associated with piracy. The PSP Go has none, and it failed.

I agree with you completely.
wink.gif

I bought my PSP BECAUSE of its homebrew and piracy capabilities. If it didn't have those, I would have never bought a PSP.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mariomaniac33 said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Livin in a box said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
Piracy killed it.

I agree with you completely.
wink.gif

I bought my PSP BECAUSE of its homebrew and piracy capabilities. If it didn't have those, I would have never bought a PSP.
Same for me
biggrin.gif
And even then, I thought it was too expensive for the small amount of things it is capable of, so I bought it used from a friend (actually, I traded it for a phone I found on the street
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it