Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:
uhh, what?
they're complaining over the actions of sony and not all homebrewers are pirates. (i'll admit i pirate ds stuff from time to time but i have bought all my ps3 games and don't even play it often)

Nor did I say homebrewers were pirates. The majority of the pirates saying "Fuck you Sony" are the ones getting angry because Sony's trying to keep them from pirating their stuff.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
phoenixgoddess27 said:
mercluke said:
uhh, what?
they're complaining over the actions of sony and not all homebrewers are pirates. (i'll admit i pirate ds stuff from time to time but i have bought all my ps3 games and don't even play it often)

Nor did I say homebrewers were pirates. The majority of the pirates saying "Fuck you Sony" are the ones getting angry because Sony's trying to keep them from pirating their stuff.
but that's what i'm trying to say.. this will not do anything at all to halt hacking or piracy efforts, it's merely a sore-loser "fuck you, you bested me" tactic
they've already lost the battle and the war (for this gen, anyway)

but anyway, to stop this disagreement from escalating i'll seal my lips now..

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dunno what to think. At one side, its a shame, Homebrew will never be supported this way. On the other hand, mabey it's better if they win the case. I mean, the PS3 is a nice console, and the games aren't super expensive anyways, and the network is free. Why pirate the stuff? Mabey they get so pissed that there is going to be a lame policy as a result of this, wich makes updates buggier, but also affect the people who legally buy their games.

As for the lawsuit, I think it's quite the same as Iphone/Ipod jailbreaks. I only hope that this time they win.

(No, I'm not a pirate, I legally bought all of my games for PS3)

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like sabre-rattling to me, Sony are just trying to put fear in the minds of the community, I doubt much will come of it. SCEI has been struggling for a couple of years now and losing control of PS3/PSP signing is a huge blow, I'm not surprised they're pissed.

George Hotz? He's a somewhat talented kid who loves to be the centre of attention, well George, how does it feel?

@ Monkat; if you're not a selfish pirate like the rest of us, why are you here?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boktor666 said:
As for the lawsuit, I think it's quite the same as Iphone/Ipod jailbreaks. I only hope that this time they win.

(No, I'm not a pirate, I legally bought all of my games for PS3)

While I can half agree with the sentiment wanting to stop the piracy you do know that will only be 1 consequence of if they win EDIT using these means and the only good one.

Here's 2 I can think of straight up

You won't be able to tune your cars. Well you'll be able to fit the mechanical upgrades but won't be able to re-map the ECU. You have to hack their dodgy ODB or CAN protocols to do that and they are generally protected with some form of password or key.

MS or Apple not finding out about security exploits until they are used by arsehats.

EDIT: And also remember this is the same Sony who don't give a shit about computing laws when they put rootkits on music CDs and don't give a shit about others rights in regards to their own software http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy...rootkit_scandal.

Nayr Rosfar

White Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is their own fault for taking out the OtherOS feature that people loved out of their own damn paranoia. I paid for my PS3 Slim, I've paid for my games, and will continue to do so. But I cannot put into words how I felt about the lack of the things the Fat PS3 had(PS2 backwards compatibility mainly) and was maliciously removed. I may never use homebrew on the PS3, and I actually respected how well Sony has been able to keep their system secure this far, but how they're acting now is disgusting. This guy, a young man got past everything their highly paid team of so called "expert" developers created to protect the system. And the response is to punish him and every other programmer who wasn't involved in it and leave themselves vulnerable in the future instead of learn from him and avoid this next time.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There is no difference between "clean" hackers and "dirty hackers" in the scene when it comes to copyright holders. We are all in. To claim not to support piracy but hacking a system which will inevitable lead to piracy is highly hypocritical.

Sonys legal actions are expected. Good luck GeoHot and fail0verflow.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ergo said:
Err, guys? If I'm reading this correctly, this isn't anything more than a temporary restraining order and nobody has actually been sued for anything yet.
Correct.

When this was posted in other threads people assumed differently without reading it, so this was posted so that people would know what's actually going on, and it was suggested they read the first page of this before discussing, but a lot of people didn't bother.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Correct.

When this was posted in other threads people assumed differently without reading it, so this was posted so that people would know what's actually going on, and it was suggested they read the first page of this before discussing, but a lot of people didn't bother.

There's more assumptions and jumping to conclusions in this thread than in an Ace Attorney game.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
mechagouki said:
Seems like sabre-rattling to me, Sony are just trying to put fear in the minds of the community, I doubt much will come of it. SCEI has been struggling for a couple of years now and losing control of PS3/PSP signing is a huge blow, I'm not surprised they're pissed.

George Hotz? He's a somewhat talented kid who loves to be the centre of attention, well George, how does it feel?

I seriously hope youre not assuming everyone on this site is a pirate. That would be a very ignorant assumption.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was just saying be careful what you wish for. Things can have unforeseen consequences.

Fisherman 1 "Damn those sea otters, they eat fish we could be catching"
Fisherman 2 "Yeah, I wish they where all gone so we could have every fish"

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
TwinRetro said:
mechagouki said:

I seriously hope youre not assuming everyone on this site is a pirate. That would be a very ignorant assumption.
Not everyone, but >95% of the peeps here.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
WiiBricker said:
TwinRetro said:
mechagouki said:

And you pull that figure from exactly where? Believe it or not, there ARE people here that are hoping to see homebrew explode onto the PS3, and not just for "lol freee gaems".

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
TwinRetro said:
WiiBricker said:
TwinRetro said:
mechagouki said:

And you pull that figure from exactly where? Believe it or not, there ARE people here that are hoping to see homebrew explode onto the PS3, and not just for "lol freee gaems".

I pull that figure from my experience of the board and common sense. Sure there are people who are only interested in homebrew around, but GBAtemp is called "PirateTemp" and "GBAfail" for a reason.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
QUOTE said:
but GBAtemp is called "PirateTemp" and "GBAfail" for a reason.
where the fuck did you learn to read? Banner says "GBAtemp.net" on my end

Also, if you look down on this site so much then kindly get the fuck out *points at door*

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.