Sony attempts to get a restraining order

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah... The way you put it there SifJar, it sounds like ol' GeoHot's going to be seeing some away time from his PS3. This is good for homebrew coders, but I see a huge void ahead in quality software for the PS3, since people will know everyone will just pirate their games (Wii, anyone?). I don't own A PS3, or any Sony product for that matter (besides my PS1), but I'd say pirating for the Ps3 would be too much time and effort. Firstly, the games are what? 25GB? Your ISP would get suspicious. And then you'd have to buy a blank Bluray disc to burn the game onto (lotta $!), and then make sure you burned it actually runs. Sony has some fantastic developers making games for their system. If a good game comes out for the PS3, just buy it and support the devs. They don't make these games for free, you know, and the devs deserve something great in return for their games. Honestly, I'd rather not had the code get released, since software devs might not feel safe releasing a game for their console. But if the code was only going to be used to run homebrew, I would totally support it. Just my 2 cents.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Another World said:
i wish there could be a happy medium between what they do to make money and allowing developers to make legal homebrew for the system.

-another world
The happy medium was OtherOS.

otheros couldnt use the full capabilities of the ps3.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
MFDC12 said:
WiiBricker said:
Another World said:
i wish there could be a happy medium between what they do to make money and allowing developers to make legal homebrew for the system.

-another world

The key word is "medium". A Compromise.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Cybermage said:
first off i do not own a ps3 or psp but i think that if you bought a system that you should have complete control of said system and what you do with it is you thing

some company should not be able/allowed to tell you how to use you hardware
That's a great opinion for you, but that's not a way for them to make money. There have been attempts at "open" consoles (Dingoo, Pandora etc.), but how many of those can you buy on the high street? How many people do you know with those consoles? They're not successful enough for it it to be a viable option to large companies. And I know that now you're thinking "Well, if its a big company, the big publishers will publish games for the format, and it'll be a success" (or something like that
tongue.gif
). But if it is an open console, there is no incentive for those big publishers to PAY the big companies for the right to publish games, they can just do it unlicensed, and make more profit. Which means that the company making the console is relying on console sales and first party titles to make money. And as most consoles sell at a loss at launch, the prices of consoles themselves would soar. So far less people would buy them, and therefore far less people will buy games, and the games industry will collapse. Not to mention, there would be even more useless shovelware if there was no need for approval, and games wouldn't have as rigorous testing, so would most likely have more bugs. On top of all this, if the console is "open", then that means that someone, somewhere will try to find a way to pirate games. And it'll be easier if its possible to run your own code. So that WILL discourage publishers from publishing games for the format. So in actual fact, in many ways, closed consoles are GOOD for gaming.

Now, I recognise I may have been addressing a slightly different issue than what you were saying, I think you were saying that they shouldn't be able to stop you using exploits etc., rather than they shouldn't be able to stop you running your own code without exploits. But the simple case of the matter is, when you go online on the PS3, or install a software update, you accept a user agreement to say you won't use any sort of modified firmware. While you do own the System, you have agreed not to do certain things with it, and it is on this understanding that you are given access. As an analogy, I believe it is possible to obtain a license to use a gun. Without that license it is illegal, but even with the license, there are things you could do which are illegal (e.g. go out and shoot some random person on the street). You are given terms of use, so to speak (e.g. permission to shoot vermin on a farm etc.). The gun is yours, but you can only use it within the terms of the license.

Oveneise said:
Damn... Well thats too bad for him I guess. But putting him in jail really wont stop anything, since the key is out there already. But... he purchased the PS3. That means the PS3 belongs to him, and anything inside it. Including the key. Isn't there some sort of legal loophole?

No. Your bank has your money in its vault somewhere, doesn't mean they own your money because its inside something they own. I know of no legal loophole meaning that you legally "own" a number if it is inside a piece of electronic equipment you own. Another analogy: Someone signs a cheque and gives it to you. You stick it in your wallet for lodging later. Do you suddenly own that person's signature, and can therefore sign cheques as them? Because that is essentially what the key is.

Oveneise said:
QUOTE(Cybermage @ Jan 12 2011, 03:42 PM)
first off i do not own a ps3 or psp but i think that if you bought a system that you should have complete control of said system and what you do with it is you thing

some company should not be able/allowed to tell you how to use you hardware

Their legal ground is the EULA - The end user license agreement. Not sure if anyone takes those things seriously though... He didn't reverse engineer anything, or put any chips on there... so I think he'd get out of that case scotch free.

He did reverse engineer stuff. He found a metldr exploit, and used it to reverse engineer the metldr keys using a method detailed by fail0verflow. And how do you know what chips he has or hasn't put in his PS3? Just because none of his public hacks required one doesn't mean he didn't use one at some stage. I would be quite surprised actually if he didn't have some sort of NAND/NOR programming chip in there, I'd say its likely he'd have bricked his PS3 at some stage or another and needed to reprogram the flash.

So how long have you been working for sony's legal department?

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
MFDC12 said:
WiiBricker said:
Another World said:

-another world

The key word is "medium". A Compromise.

corporations never want a compromise...either that or they seem like they do and then backstab everyone when they see fit in the near future.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TwinRetro said:
mechagouki said:
Seems like sabre-rattling to me, Sony are just trying to put fear in the minds of the community, I doubt much will come of it. SCEI has been struggling for a couple of years now and losing control of PS3/PSP signing is a huge blow, I'm not surprised they're pissed.

George Hotz? He's a somewhat talented kid who loves to be the centre of attention, well George, how does it feel?

@ Monkat; if you're not a selfish pirate like the rest of us, why are you here?

I seriously hope youre not assuming everyone on this site is a pirate. That would be a very ignorant assumption.

Mmmm.... you just carry on deluding yourself, you can be the cabin boy on this pirate ship, know what the cabin boy's job is?

I'd suggest you read up on the history of this site and forum, who started it and what its original 'raison d'etre' was.

I've got maybe 5 homebrew programs on my DSTwo, along with several hundred roms covering several systems, and I don't think I'm unusual.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechagouki said:
TwinRetro said:
mechagouki said:
Seems like sabre-rattling to me, Sony are just trying to put fear in the minds of the community, I doubt much will come of it. SCEI has been struggling for a couple of years now and losing control of PS3/PSP signing is a huge blow, I'm not surprised they're pissed.

George Hotz? He's a somewhat talented kid who loves to be the centre of attention, well George, how does it feel?

@ Monkat; if you're not a selfish pirate like the rest of us, why are you here?

I seriously hope youre not assuming everyone on this site is a pirate. That would be a very ignorant assumption.

Mmmm.... you just carry on deluding yourself, you can be the cabin boy on this pirate ship, know what the cabin boy's job is?

I'd suggest you read up on the history of this site and forum, who started it and what its original 'raison d'etre' was.

I've got maybe 5 homebrew programs on my DSTwo, along with several hundred roms covering several systems, and I don't think I'm unusual.

what does the history have to do with this. its not like gbatemp host roms anymore. just because the majority pirates, does not mean everyone does.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
30084pm said:
did anyone actually lol at this?
yes, then i though to myself "have fun Sony"

QUOTE(Fireballo @ Jan 12 2011, 04:18 PM) It doesn't matter if Sony looses as long as they bankrupt their enemies with legal bills.
Unfortunately the way the legal system is set up, its true. the more money you have the longer you can keep people in court, meaning more money people have to spend just to defend themselves and stay outta jail.. the courts of america are puppets for anyone with the millions.

So sitting back watching all this happened, this is the turn of events as i see them.
Sony worried about hacking/piracy. disable features and feel comfy again.
hackers hack, and succeed greatly.
sony says it will fix the hacks with updates. then looks into whats going on.
sony realizes ps3 has been pwnd.

all in all, im still not going to buy a ps3. ill sit here on my sick computer, that i made myself, and i can run whatever i want on. the best part? i can still play games in hd, wile multitasking and doing whatever i want.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
MFDC12 said:
what does the history have to do with this. its not like gbatemp host roms anymore. just because the majority pirates, does not mean everyone does.
First impressions are important, those that remember this site started as a rom site will always remember that.

In addition this site caters to pirates, not specifically, but most sites don't allow it, so much discussion about piracy happens on this forum and not others.

I am making attempts to lower the image of it being the gamefaqs of the rom/hacking community, though. When I see people bitching about something not being made, I tell them to do it themselves (usually telling them the skills/tools they need). When people bitch about something not getting dumped, I encourage them to dump it themselves. If somebody's talking utter shit and I'm aware of it, I correct them.

As TrolleyDave posted in his anniversary blog, if more users helped people instead of just mocking them, and contributed instead of bitching about the lack of something (I'm looking at you, people who bitch about the EoF not being funny but never make anything there), this forum would be a better place.

But then again we're all humans.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
we need to put this in a update on the first page :

UPDATE :

Hackers defy SCEA lawsuit, release all tools to public

From Team FailOverFl0w :
QUOTE said:
"LEGAL TOOLS that do not contain any keys or any SONY software created by the team fail0verflow (please clone this repository and avoid to the big fish eats the small fish using the money and the recurses of one Multinational against talented people that seeking new hombrew uses in the PS3 console and the return of Linux)"

Claiming that: " you can't put Pandora back in it's box"

Good for them!

it shows Sony that : once you stick your fingers in Donkey Kong's cage...don't be surprised if he get's pissed bites your fingers off!! (if he was rabid or something in a mental zoo
tongue.gif
)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
chartube12 said:
Considering that line of yours bade absolutely no sense I'm going to have to ask you to explain what you mean.

Please be sure to use examples and lots of details.

It seems like he is giving sony aummo to fight with.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chartube12 said:
Rydian said:
chartube12 said:
Considering that line of yours bade absolutely no sense I'm going to have to ask you to explain what you mean.

Please be sure to use examples and lots of details.

It seems like he is giving sony aummo to fight with.
I didn't say anything that wasn't already in the complaint Sony filed. And I doubt they'd use my post against him in court anyway. Their legal department has far more experience and knowledge of law than me (who has virtually none of either), what I said was basically common sense in my opinion. I didn't give them any ammo, don't worry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs