Sony announces the PlayStation Classic

L-lead-hand-755x425.jpg

Sony is borrowing its best friend Nintendo's idea to bring its classic console in palm format. Meet the PlayStation Classic.

Announced in a blog post today, this miniature rehash of the classic console with a very original name will feature defining titles like Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Wild Arms and 17 other "legendary titles".

L-angle.jpg

20180919_095149.png

"The mini console is approximately 45% smaller than the original PlayStation, and it emulates the original’s look and feel by featuring similar controllers and packaging," reads the blog post.

Each unit will come bundled with an HDMI cable, a USB cable, and two controllers for local multiplayer within compatible titles.

Pre-loaded with 20 classic title, the new mini-console launches December 3 at an MSRP of $99.99.
:arrow: SOURCE

Sno0t

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am not excited tbh.
No analogue,
No vibration (at least not mentioned in the vid)
No AC Adapter
Laggy games (as previewed in the vid)
No (proper?) upscaling/shader options to make it look somewhat better

I mean come on...print a 3D case, and use a PI and you're off with this WAY better...

Reactions: Subtle Demise

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what games it'll have
My guess is at
- MGS
- RE & RE2
- Silent Hill
- FF7
I doubt they put Grandia on it
Grandia was so good! I'm probably not going to buy the thing, but I wish more people could experience the series. Maybe they'll put tomba in it.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd certainly get more for my money if I 3D printed a PS1 case for my PSTV... Hey, I guess I'll do that now. Depending on that thing's dimensions I might not even have to take the PSTV apart.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Er... How do I put this...
I mean, I still have my PSX CDs, my red PSX MC, and my functional PSOne, PS2, PS3 and PSVita...
Do I need this? No
Do I want it? Maybe, looks cool to have :P

Reactions: Kafkaus00

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-19_4-5-19.jpeg
Still like my mini better
Even came with 2 games
Paper discs but still, I got options
Jap golf game
And not sure where my other is. Funny they make such a detailed awesome toy and even make realistic game discs but use some crap ol games no one has ever heard of or played
It’s a pain to transform it. Did it once and now it just stays a ps1

Also on note of topic they already had the psone mini. With the tv screen lid that folded on top. So only dif with this is digital games and updated tv connections and hopefully picture quality.
I have a vita and pstv and I think I’d much rather those overall which can do the same, and more. Who knows though. Once out and hacked then maybe vita and psp games will end up being playable. But how can I support Nintendo’s minis of my childhood systems and not include psone which has incredible games. If only they were all remade with today’s graphics and picture quality

Last edited by Tri-Z,
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who gives a fuck who is copying who, the mini NeoGeo looks absolutely terrible and cheap, I’ll stick with my AES thanks, already have both of the Nintendo offerings so this will sit nicely next to them... where the hell is Sega with a decent Megadrive Classic?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Meh... so many fanboys.
They stole nothing, they just rode upon the fad.
Retro consoles existed since always, AtGames was making cute Genesis-like consoles under licence since way before the Nintendo classic.
So in any case everybody copied AtGames/Sega... wait, there were things like that even before, like the RetroN consoles.

We all know it's just companies appealing to nostalgia making cute pseudo-collectibles riding the current fad.
And some may like it, some may not...
But stating someone stole this unoriginal idea from someone else, when it existed way before... it is kind of... nonsense.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Kafkaus00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even if it’s only a cash grab (that price tag is a bit high since I still have my psone and games). But depending on the games I may get it.

It’s really an accessory, it’s nothing new, nothing really important but it’s nice to have for people who never played the original ps1 or people like me who just want to have it for the collection, if they could had some online features for certains games (don’t know if that’s possible) it could actually be really nice !

Reactions: LuigiXL
D

Deleted User

i dont mind if they stole the idea ....
i love the ps1 and i ll buy it.
hope they learnt of those mistakes nintendo made and put a nice amount of devices in store...

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
NES/SNES just blew up (rightly so) because Nintendo had notoriously ignored their retro appeal until then. Can’t blame Sony for having a go (at Christmas no less!) and this type of thing has been around forever.. I’ve still got this from what must be 2000ish?

Attachments

• 8ADBDCA6-18C7-4B00-BDEE-38F20F37360E.jpeg
    8ADBDCA6-18C7-4B00-BDEE-38F20F37360E.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't mind companies being inspired by good ideas that other companies have (Jezus Chris..."stealing"..."being unoriginal"...the console war of the nineties is long over. How about not being sour over it?).

However, I do mind that they take the weak parts of these earlier designs as well. Wired controllers weren't fun but a necessity. Okay, the thing has HDMI and USB connection (erm...the latter is for the power, I assume? :unsure: ), but please: is it that much effort to put in wireless connections? :(

Also...announce or don't announce, sony boy. Not this "we'll let you know the rest of the line-up later" bullshit. I'm already sick and tired of the upcoming tidal wave of comments on what games should or shouldn't make the list. :angry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rolleyes: