Hacking Sonic Continuum website launch!

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings everyone

As promised in our October update video, Sonic Continuum website has officially been released, you can find it here:
http://sonic-continuum.net16.net/

If you go to that website, you will see a section called "submit" that allows you to submit your modded characters. If you click on the section that says "Custom Characters", you will see two sections, one called "Official", the other is called "Custom". Both sections are currently empty. The official section will contain characters made by the team, and we will release two characters there that you can download and try on Saturday when the build is released. These two characters will be:

1. Super Mario.
2. Victor the crocodile.

FAQ:

1. How to load a character in Sonic Continuum after downloading it?
Ans: All you need to do is obtain two files from inside the character folder, one of them is called "moves", the other is called "moves.manifest". Drag these two files to the data folder that comes with the pc version, go inside streamingassets/Characters/Sonic/Animations and paste the two files there and you are character is loaded just like that. After that, you can go to the character selection screen and select the question mark character and you will be able to play with your character.

2. How can I make my own character?
Ans: On Friday, we will be releasing a video tutorial on youtube that teaches you how to make a character and how to load it. You will need an empty unity project, so you may want to download that early if you want.

3. Why do I need an empty unity project?
Ans: Unity defines its own file structure for animations which is called "anim". as far as I am aware, only unity engine allows you to create those files, and since those files define the animation of the character, we will need an empty project that allows you to create those files. But do not worry, we will not write a single line of code.

4. Why are you guys wasting your times on this feature instead of working on the levels?
Ans: I understand your concerns. The reason why we are show a lot of features like mod support rather than levels is that levels require a lot of art assets, and since we currently have a very limited number of artists (we will be recruiting on the website very soon for more), I spend a lot of time upgrading and enhancing the engine until I get the art I need for the next part of the level. We have a very excellent art team, but as any artist knows, designing the art for a whole level takes time. Not to mention that making your own character was a very highly requested feature from us and now that sonic forces is coming out next week, it would be nice to allow you to make your own character in a 2d sonic game. Do not worry though, one of the reasons I am not making any video for two months is that I want the main focus to be entirely on levels and level mechanics.

5. What does modding engine mean for the future of Sonic Continuum?
Ans: For now we want to focus on allowing you to mod sonic, however we would like you to be able to mod other things in the game in the future including other characters. So if you want to mod metal sonic for example to make a character that can boost, we would like you to be able to do that. If you want to mod a character that can fly, we want you to be able to mod tails. We are also currently looking for some developers who would code extra moves for custom characters.

6. Can modding engine come to other devices in the future?
Ans: We are constantly researching for options on how to do it for other platforms. I would like to at least have some sort of method to load the characters using a website to other devices. I would be happy to work with anyone if they are familiar with the structure of android, ios, xbox one, etc.

7. Are we going to get any updates on the game for the rest of the year?
Ans: Absolutely, just do not expect a video update for this year because these videos can take a lot of time in editing, and I will be mainly working on levels so most likely you want see much other than levels and new modding tools anyway.

8. I want to help with the project, what can I do?
Ans: Tomorrow, we will be posting a link on our website for roles we are currently looking for to help us finish this game sooner. Obviously no one is getting paid since this is a fan game so keep that in mind. But we are currently looking for a lot of artists who can draw sonic the hedgehog style assets ( seriously I can't stress that enough, we are always looking for artists), we are looking for a composer, we are looking for devs to help with certain coding tasks especially the modding tool (Need to be familiar with Unity 3d and c#), we are looking for artists for our promotional material. You will need to provide something that proves that you can do your task (a picture, a song, some game you have worked on before, etc). Other than that, promoting this game would be very nice as it will help this game more recognition which will allow us to work with more professionals like Alerdy. If you also know anyone who knows the above, referring him/her to us would be very useful as well

Last edited by kingtut,
Reactions: wiired24

jirkawaggon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I load Sonic Continuum from your page but when i would like to start I got only screen with "NEW GAME" and then I press all buttons and thumbstick but no response on Xbox ONE

Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I load Sonic Continuum from your page but when i would like to start I got only screen with "NEW GAME" and then I press all buttons and thumbstick but no response on Xbox ONE

huh this is odd, can you try to download the game from our youtube channel page instead (September update video). I will let @ElijahZAwesome know about this problem.

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah same for me also a re you still looking for help with the project

Yeah I will need to look into this issue, I finally got my xbox back. and sorry for kinda disappearing. This weeks are very busy for me.

as for looking for help, we definitely are. We need developers, artists, and composer.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haven't been keeping up with this project but I know I suggested that Sonic have his own special abilities (like how Tails flies and Knuckles glides and climbs), and a couple suggestions are the homing attack, more outright speed, or maybe a boost mechanic. I think all three make sense but I'd say the latter two make the most sense with the outright speed probably being best.

Reactions: kingtut

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1