Sonic and sega all-star racing

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Master_B, Feb 23, 2010.

Feb 23, 2010
  1. Master_B
    OP

Member Master_B GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    What do you guys think?? Will it be any good as mariokart? I am dying for another racing game with such good controls as mariokart.... hope Sonic and sega all-star racing is similar.

Any one played it all ready?

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

Played the PS3 demo version of it and its a pretty much run of the mill Mario Kart style clone with power ups etc when you run into them and boost strips on the road and a few sega/sonic characters and vehicles thrown in.......NO clone will ever top the Mario Kart games!

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Demo is on the Nintendo channel.

No worse than the MySims one, its ok but nothing special.

4. Master_B
    OP

Netherlands
    Didnt like the sims racing :S.

Also thought that it could never beat mariokart... but there was a spark of hope [​IMG]

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    No racing game > Mario Kart

6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States

Depends on your opinion. If you're a fan of goofy, lighthearted weapons racers, Mario Kart is probably the best. If you like balls-to-the-wall speed and fast, exotic cars, you won't be looking to Mario Kart.

Anyway, I found Crash Team Racing for the PSX to be better than Mario Kart 64.

As for the DS, Sideswiped is a better game in my opinion.

Well, as for S&S Racing, it looks fun. A good looking kart racer with some good licensed characters.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Ditto for me. An underrated and forgotten gem.

8. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I'm just waiting for it to show on my d/l sites of choice since it's supposed to be out at some point today. I played the PS3 demo and while it was enjoyable enough it had its share of problems. Most notably that it was way too hard on anything other than Beginner mode because the AI plays dirty. But apparantly the DS version is actually a little better. I would d/l the demo from the Wii, but unfortunately I'm having problems with my Wiimote so it's not possible right now. But the full version should be showing up soon, so I'll just wait for that.

9. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Tried the demo, and it was meh. Maybe after doing some more tracks, I'll enjoy it. I liked the track design for the demo, but the power sliding is a bit too unwieldy for my taste. The kart just kind of slides all over the place. I still plan on checking out the full game, though. If it's even halfway decent, I won't complain (I won't complain either way, actually).

10. Swamp7hing

Newcomer Swamp7hing Member

Canada
    Waiting for a dump myself. Looks like a good game.

11. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    I only like Racing Games that include some of my favorite gaming characters. Games like MX Vs ATV are racing games that I hate.

12. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I love Mario Kart,Crash Team Racing and games like that but Ridge Racer Type 4 is one of my favorites.

13. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Had a play of the demo downloaded via the wii's nintendo channel and i have to say i thought it looked quite fun! the track i played on (based on sonic) it had bumper springs on the edge of the course which you could be knocked into and part of the track did a spiral twist and it seemed fairly fun.

the racing aspect was solid the weapons i saw had homing rockets , normal rockets (think red shells and green shells) mines (think bananas) and also each character has a special attack now i only saw sonics super sonic but iv watched youtube videos of aiai using the supermonkeyball "marbles" which looked really fun

the only downside i can think of is the drifting when you can press a button to make your cart do an un-weildy slide and the longer you do it gives you a more powerful boost but unlike mario kart this feels way too "loose" and there is no real need to do it plus the boost it gives you makes you cart sorta fly forward in a slightly anoying way which is fine for yourself but have an online battle with everyone doing it every corner could be VERY anoying

overall tho assuming its got wifi people say its got 24 tracks and for me at least the character list pounds every mario kart into the ground , sonic , beat , ryo alone beat everyone character in mario kart so i cant wait!

14. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Indeed!!!

Best PSX game ever.

As for this, its so-so, may pick it up for 360.

15. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I bought this game yesterday at Target. I'll try to run down the list of menu selections as much as possible.
    (Doesn't work in CycloDS, original R4, M3i or Acekard, or even No$GBA at this point. Don't know if it's AP or just a save issue. 64meg ROM)

First, IGN has posted a review, go read that to fill in things I skip.
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/107/1071582p1.html

OK.....

The game's menu system is set up a lot like Mario Kart DS. Many of the same modes and extras.
    3 save slots

Main menu:
    Single Player
    Multiplayer (single or multi card)
    Nintendo WFC.
    Shopping (buy racers, courses and music with "miles" gained from playing)
    License (challenges, Records, Edit License, Friend Roster, Test Track)
    Options: (list)
    -Settings: # of Racers, Laps, Difficulty (easy, medium, hard) and items/hazards on/off
    -Controls: 3 presets for controls
    -Audio: music and effects sliders
    Nintendo WFC Setup
    Credits

Race modes: Single player
    Grand Prix
    Single Race
    Time Trial
    Missions

Race modes: Multiplayer
    Single card
    Multicard
    WiFi online
    I never play games online, so I don't know what all specific modes are within.

20 characters total. 24 tracks.

Starting characters (8):
    Sonic
    Tails
    Amy
    Dr. Eggman
    Shadow
    AIAI (monkey ball character, I assume)
    Billy Hatcher (not a freakin' clue who that is)
    Amigo (looks like a cross between Speedy Gonzales and AIAI, dunno)

The other 12 characters have to be unlocked.

The game is pretty nice, with excellent graphics running at a very smooth framerate. I consider it a sort of mix between the cool track designs of Speed Racer DS (and similar drifting) and the gameplay of Mario Kart DS. I had the sound turned down for the most part, but what I did hear sounded good enough. Drifting around the corners is a little strange because you have to hold a button to continue drifting, if you drift long enough, you get a speed boost. I'm sure there is a way to use that to "snake" with proper timing. Drifting also seems a little strange because of how exaggerated the car's angle is while drifting, like how Speed Racer DS was. You quickly get used to it though.

Some tracks have multiple paths and routes. Careful not to hit the center of a fork in the road. Racing seems challenging enough without the AI seeming too stupid or overly rubberband.

According to the IGN review, online play is hampered by the big giant lag monster....I haven't tried playing online (I'm a single player type of guy), so I can't say for sure if that's true of the final release or not though. Oh, what the heck, I'll try an online match just for you guys.....hang on.....trying the "play with anyone" mode.....one minute, found no one.....2 minutes, no one....3 minutes, no one....5 minutes, no one....OK, so it's too early to find people online with the game yet. I exited out without finding a soul. So I can't give any idea about online play. But I'm having a blast with single player mode for now. So far, only beaten two cups in easy. When I tried for medium straight-away, they kicked my butt pretty hard.....have to get used to the tracks and the drifting for speed boosts I guess, or I just suck or something. But easy IS pretty easy and you can win most of the time, yet if you wreck too often, you's gonna lose.

Hope that is useful to you guys. I'm gonna go play the game some more.

16. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Thanks Rayder. Hope it gets fixed and dumped soon, been waiting for this one.

17. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    He's from a gamecube game that didn't get alot of attention. Everyone should play it at least once.

It's great.

18. Master_B
    OP

Netherlands
    thanx for the info rayder.... got a really good impression now and eager to d/l it. Hopefully its online somewhere this weekend.

Going to give sideswiped a try... but does not look any good on the screenshots...

19. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Full list of characters:

Sonic
    Tails
    Amy
    Dr. Eggman
    Shadow
    AIAI
    Billy Hatcher
    Amigo
    Knuckles
    Big
    Zobio
    Beat
    Jacky Bryant
    Ulala
    BD Joe
    Alex Kidd
    Ryo Hazuki
    Chuih
    Mobo
    Opa-Opa

20. Yusuky

Newcomer Yusuky Advanced Member

Brazil
    wasn't this game supposed to release yesterday? what's up? change of date?