Hardware Some switch games WILL require an SD card as well as online to fully enjoy them!

Is this a dumb move by nintendo?

• YES

• NO

• Who fucking cares when are the HAX coming?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I cant help but think this is going to be bad for the end user in time.
The only way anybody ends up caring about this is if Nintendo uses a time machine to go back and install a proprietary memory card slot on Switch instead of mSD. Short of that, it's not going to make any difference. I don't know about y'all, but the first thing I did when I bought Switch was pop a 64GB mSD in it.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This so much. At this point why do we even need the discs anymore. They are just a nuisance. I have the game installed on my system but I have to switch discs to play them. Ridiculous. I'm conflicted. With the way everything is set up you can still play and resell your game by the disc but with updates and downloads and content you don't even get the full experience anymore.

Thing is though, they should've just made the cards bigger than 16GB (Which they can)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

for carts, game comp/publisher "lets use a cheeper and Smaller size to save on money" so now the end-user has more to pay (SD card and internet)

To be fair, that's the world we live in. No point being bitchy about it.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And ofcourse all these Nintendo Fanboys are on their knees stroking that Nintendo ...... after hearing this news. And for the peoiple comparing this to an Xbox and Playstation is utter bullshit. An xbox disc or playstation blu ray has the full game on it and doesn't need internet to install it. People are missing the point here that Nintendo isn't offering full games on cartridge and that you need to DOWNLOAD the rest of the game ONLINE. Preservation = 000000000. Atleast you get the full game without regarding DLC on an Xbox and Playstation wich doesn't need an internet connection or server to even install the game. Nintendo fanboys are really gamers that are ruining the industry wich just letting everything slide because '' Ey, it's Nintendo.'' and everybody busy stroking that Nintendo ....

Last edited by kumikochan,

DaMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This so much. At this point why do we even need the discs anymore. They are just a nuisance. I have the game installed on my system but I have to switch discs to play them.
MS tried this, the market rejected it, and are probably still paying the price for that decision today. You can thank Don Matrick for completely bungling the XBone reveal and making sure no will attempt that idea again.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And here we're, getting angry at an invention that has been used since the freaking original Xbox. It's nothing new that games sometime store extra things on external media. It's like the norm today. But when Nintendo does it, it's suddenly bad?

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And here we're, getting angry at an invention that has been used since the freaking original Xbox. It's nothing new that games sometime store extra things on external media. It's like the norm today. But when Nintendo does it, it's suddenly bad?
again, Microsoft and Sony have the entire game on the disc itself and you can install them OFFLINE 40 years from now but the way Nintendo is doing it makes it so that the rest of the game is stored on their SERVERS and you need to go online to even fetch the rest of the game. Is that so hard to get ? Seems most people in this thread aren't getting this.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have no major problems with external media on the Switch. What I'm mad about is that the first retail cart has appeared that does not include the complete base game on the cart. If the Switch is meant to be portable, its retail games have to work out of the box, especially when you lack internet access (e.g. you live in the country with no internet, or crappy DSL). And don't say people have unlimited data plans on their phones nowadays so it's okay, because tethering by major US carriers is limited to 10GB monthly. That's not enough for any modern console at all.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have no major problems with external media on the Switch. What I'm mad about is that the first retail cart has appeared that does not include the complete base game on the cart. If the Switch is meant to be portable, its retail games have to work out of the box, especially when you lack internet access (e.g. you live in the country with no internet, or crappy DSL). And don't say people have unlimited data plans on their phones nowadays so it's okay, because tethering by major US carriers is limited to 10GB monthly. That's not enough for any modern console at all.
ISPs are dicks, but this is universally a problem across all consoles, not Switch specifically. Some games will need one download before being playable portable, but most seem to have the whole game on-cart. Same deal with discs and day-one patches.

At least with Switch, you can take it somewhere with free wifi if necessary, whereas you don't really have that luxury with XBONE/PS4.

Last edited by Xzi,

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just the equivalent of xbox one games needing to download like 30GB of stuff when you put in a disc to play them. I'm surprised that you're even able to play the game at all without the extra stuff downloaded. Just buy a microsd card from ebay and quit whining

Last edited by orangy57,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Welcome to 2017. Xbone and PS4 both shove full game downloads down your throat, they don't even put anything on the disk so be grateful Nintendo is actually going to try.
SD cards are dirt cheap. I mean you'd probably get more storage space than dirt even.

Who cares? It's not even remotely a big deal. I'd rather use an SD card and get more game, than not use an SD card and get 1/4th of game. Derp?

As for needing online...what is this 1995? Everyone has fucking internet. You're ON THE INTERNET right now. Having to download additional data will be an inconvenience to an absurdly small% of people. Get over it.

Why do Nintenyearolds cry about everything

Reactions: DarthDub

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In before this is a ploy against the used games market where the games that require the extra additions will have a 1-time use download code inside the game case so if you try and resell your game, the final owner has to pay twice to actually play.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't think there is a big problem with buying a big sd card, the main problem is there is not the full game on the cardtridge, so in a future when you buy a "retro" console like the switch, there won't be a way to have the full game, why not in two cardtridge? Or at least an install only card

Reactions: invaderyoyo

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I couldn't give less of a fuck.
You know? You also need an external power source to charge it or it will cease to work! Preposterous!

PS: Also in the future the Flash inside the cartridges will fail, those things are not really ROM (they are actually NAND Flash) and they wouldn't hold data more than a couple of decades.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As for needing online...what is this 1995? Everyone has fucking internet. You're ON THE INTERNET right now. Having to download additional data will be an inconvenience to an absurdly small% of people. Get over it.

Why do Nintenyearolds cry about everything
Are you that dumb ? Servers don't stay online forever ! Like i already said xbox and sony games have the full game on disc wich makes them playable offline in 20 years or more while the switch cartridges won't work fully anymore. Is that so hard to get ?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk