Homebrew Some SudokuHax Questions

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was just wondering a couple things.

1. Is the Sudoku game blacklisted for content transfer so it can't be loaded to a 3DS?
2. Has anyone made a NAND dump of a DSi that had Sudoku installed so that others can flash that NAND to their systems and enjoy the exploit?
3. Is #2 even possible?
4. It still works with the newest firmware for the DSi, right? So in theory, could that exploit be used to get the CycloDS iEvolution card working again?

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
To answer your questions:
1) I think although the exploit may still exist in the 3DS Eshop the vulnerability, or most likely they patched it. However, the exploit will not transfer over.
2) Myself personally have not made, or even attempted to make a NAND dump of my DSi however I think the NAND from each DSi Is encrypted so only one DSi can use it however If you dump It yourself you may be able to downgrade( I may be mistaken.
3) Possible: Yes, Shareable: No
4)DSi Firmware 1.4.5 blocks the Cooking Coach and the iEvo Exploits entirely.

Also, from experience the Exida-hax exploit is cool, but almost useless (comming from experience). I have to re-compile open sourced homebrew sometimes to make it work, however it does have DSx86 in DSi Mode as well as NES DS and GameYob and DSCraft, however thats about it for dsi mode brew, better off getting a SuperCard DStwo as it most likely wont be blocked in Nintendo Updates.

Reactions: Margen67

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I was just wondering a couple things.

1. Is the Sudoku game blacklisted for content transfer so it can't be loaded to a 3DS?
2. Has anyone made a NAND dump of a DSi that had Sudoku installed so that others can flash that NAND to their systems and enjoy the exploit?
3. Is #2 even possible?
4. It still works with the newest firmware for the DSi, right? So in theory, could that exploit be used to get the CycloDS iEvolution card working again?
1. The game was taken down some hours after the exploit got released and the exploit got patched with the current eShop version.
4. There have been some tries to let it work with the newest firmware but it's very buggy as far as I know. If you update your DSi without making sure that the exploit doesn't get patched, it won't be usable any more since newer firmwares are fixing it.
The CycloDS iEvo doesn't support DSi Ware (only DSi Enhanced games). You would have to reverse almost the full card to make a patch for it. However, no one with the knowledge wants it because every one moved to the 3DS.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the difference between SudokuHax and the iEvo is that SudokuHax only supports DSiware/homebrew stuff, due to it not being run like a retail game? In other words, it's the complete opposite functionality?

As far as the firmware goes, I have read about people updating their DSis to the most current firmware while still having a working SudokuHax. If the newest firmware blocks DSiware exploits from being transferred to the internal memory, how exactly does that work?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if having a DSi with that exploit is really worth it or not. I've already got a regular DSi, but obviously since the iEvolution doesn't work on it anymore it's pretty useless besides playing retail games and shovelware. Since someone has one up in the trading board, and I know how rare those systems are due to the game being taken down fairly quickly, it would be nice to have, but only if there's anything actually useful I can do with it. I've already got a DSTWO, iEvolution (now useless since I updated my DSi) and Gateway 3DS.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
...Also, from experience the Exida-hax exploit is cool, but almost useless (coming from experience)....DSx86 in DSi Mode as well as NES DS and GameYob and DSCraft, however thats about it for dsi mode brew....

There's quite a bit of homebrew for the DSi exploits. Pokemini runs very very nicely, as well as msxds (metalgear w/o slowdown), DSi versions of Quake/2, Hexen, Atari2600, etc.

Too bad the DSi exploits were snuffed out so quickly, but i'm really happy i was able to Sudokuhax my DSiXL while it was still available.

18672-DSiList.png

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a SudokuHax'd DSi. Assuming the price isn't absurd, I think it's totally worth it to get one if you can. There isn't a lot of homebrew dedicated to DSi mode, but there is a fair amount of DS homebrew that supports it and is greatly enhanced by it (see VatoLoco's list). BYMMV.

No, you can not transfer SudokuHax to another unit. The version on the eShop has been fixed and as Rydian pointed out you are not actually transferring the actual data from one machine to another, but just re-downloading it from the eShop... Thus you will be downloading the fixed version and not the one w/ the exploit.

As far as this: "So the difference between SudokuHax and the iEvo is that SudokuHax only supports DSiware/homebrew stuff, due to it not being run like a retail game? In other words, it's the complete opposite functionality?"

Yes, it is kind of like that. The DSi has a security feature in which it blocks access to the cart or the SD depending on where the current software has been loaded from, IIRC (been a while since I (or Nintendo) payed attention to DSi hacks). If you boot a game from a cart then the DSi can no longer access the SD and vice versa. iEvo boots from a cart and thus can't do anything w/ the SD in the DSi proper, SudokuHax boots from the SD and thus can't touch the cart.

While I'm at this, I'm on 4.3... Besides lack of eShop access, was there anything I missed out on by not updating?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting about the system transfer, I actually didn't know that. It took over an hour for me to do one before so I thought it actually was transferring the data.

So the fixed version on the eShop is really only for people who already have it? Since I thought the game was de-listed.

So... what all can I do with DSiware exploits? I used to use my iEvo quite a bit for playing DSi-enhanced games that used the camera and such, but that was about it. IIRC most of the DSi-specific stuff never really got anywhere, nesDS was still buggy and so on.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm actually interested in finding some ways to load stuff. I have CookHax, just getting the game today, and I'm looking for stuff to play with. I'm hoping to find a way to reconfigure the save so I don't have to load things over wifi, but what I have will do perfectly fine for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"