Some SudokuHax Questions

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by drfsupercenter, Sep 18, 2013.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    So I was just wondering a couple things.

1. Is the Sudoku game blacklisted for content transfer so it can't be loaded to a 3DS?
    2. Has anyone made a NAND dump of a DSi that had Sudoku installed so that others can flash that NAND to their systems and enjoy the exploit?
    3. Is #2 even possible?
    4. It still works with the newest firmware for the DSi, right? So in theory, could that exploit be used to get the CycloDS iEvolution card working again?

2. ipwndeveloper

ipwndeveloper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    To answer your questions:
    1) I think although the exploit may still exist in the 3DS Eshop the vulnerability, or most likely they patched it. However, the exploit will not transfer over.
    2) Myself personally have not made, or even attempted to make a NAND dump of my DSi however I think the NAND from each DSi Is encrypted so only one DSi can use it however If you dump It yourself you may be able to downgrade( I may be mistaken.
    3) Possible: Yes, Shareable: No
    4)DSi Firmware 1.4.5 blocks the Cooking Coach and the iEvo Exploits entirely.

Also, from experience the Exida-hax exploit is cool, but almost useless (comming from experience). I have to re-compile open sourced homebrew sometimes to make it work, however it does have DSx86 in DSi Mode as well as NES DS and GameYob and DSCraft, however thats about it for dsi mode brew, better off getting a SuperCard DStwo as it most likely wont be blocked in Nintendo Updates.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    1. The game was taken down some hours after the exploit got released and the exploit got patched with the current eShop version.
    4. There have been some tries to let it work with the newest firmware but it's very buggy as far as I know. If you update your DSi without making sure that the exploit doesn't get patched, it won't be usable any more since newer firmwares are fixing it.
    The CycloDS iEvo doesn't support DSi Ware (only DSi Enhanced games). You would have to reverse almost the full card to make a patch for it. However, no one with the knowledge wants it because every one moved to the 3DS.

4. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    So the difference between SudokuHax and the iEvo is that SudokuHax only supports DSiware/homebrew stuff, due to it not being run like a retail game? In other words, it's the complete opposite functionality?

As far as the firmware goes, I have read about people updating their DSis to the most current firmware while still having a working SudokuHax. If the newest firmware blocks DSiware exploits from being transferred to the internal memory, how exactly does that work?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if having a DSi with that exploit is really worth it or not. I've already got a regular DSi, but obviously since the iEvolution doesn't work on it anymore it's pretty useless besides playing retail games and shovelware. Since someone has one up in the trading board, and I know how rare those systems are due to the game being taken down fairly quickly, it would be nice to have, but only if there's anything actually useful I can do with it. I've already got a DSTWO, iEvolution (now useless since I updated my DSi) and Gateway 3DS.

5. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    There's quite a bit of homebrew for the DSi exploits. Pokemini runs very very nicely, as well as msxds (metalgear w/o slowdown), DSi versions of Quake/2, Hexen, Atari2600, etc.

Too bad the DSi exploits were snuffed out so quickly, but i'm really happy i was able to Sudokuhax my DSiXL while it was still available.

[​IMG]

marc00077 and Margen67 like this.
  6. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    my DSi is sudokuhaxed also. i use it to test my sandbox engine DSi hybrid homebrews. B-)

marc00077, Margen67 and VatoLoco like this.
  7. ipwndeveloper

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    I enjoyed t377y000 demoes they work great in dsi mode and I wish to see them progress!

8. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    i still work on them just haven't released the latest builds yet. there are some videos of my progress tho.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Just to point out, system transfers do NOT transfer the game from one system to another. The original system deletes it's copy while the new system downloads a new copy off the eshop.

10. KidIce

KidIce Smart Ass

Dec 22, 2005
    United States
    I have a SudokuHax'd DSi. Assuming the price isn't absurd, I think it's totally worth it to get one if you can. There isn't a lot of homebrew dedicated to DSi mode, but there is a fair amount of DS homebrew that supports it and is greatly enhanced by it (see VatoLoco's list). BYMMV.

No, you can not transfer SudokuHax to another unit. The version on the eShop has been fixed and as Rydian pointed out you are not actually transferring the actual data from one machine to another, but just re-downloading it from the eShop... Thus you will be downloading the fixed version and not the one w/ the exploit.

As far as this: "So the difference between SudokuHax and the iEvo is that SudokuHax only supports DSiware/homebrew stuff, due to it not being run like a retail game? In other words, it's the complete opposite functionality?"

Yes, it is kind of like that. The DSi has a security feature in which it blocks access to the cart or the SD depending on where the current software has been loaded from, IIRC (been a while since I (or Nintendo) payed attention to DSi hacks). If you boot a game from a cart then the DSi can no longer access the SD and vice versa. iEvo boots from a cart and thus can't do anything w/ the SD in the DSi proper, SudokuHax boots from the SD and thus can't touch the cart.

While I'm at this, I'm on 4.3... Besides lack of eShop access, was there anything I missed out on by not updating?

11. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Interesting about the system transfer, I actually didn't know that. It took over an hour for me to do one before so I thought it actually was transferring the data.

So the fixed version on the eShop is really only for people who already have it? Since I thought the game was de-listed.

So... what all can I do with DSiware exploits? I used to use my iEvo quite a bit for playing DSi-enhanced games that used the camera and such, but that was about it. IIRC most of the DSi-specific stuff never really got anywhere, nesDS was still buggy and so on.

12. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm actually interested in finding some ways to load stuff. I have CookHax, just getting the game today, and I'm looking for stuff to play with. I'm hoping to find a way to reconfigure the save so I don't have to load things over wifi, but what I have will do perfectly fine for now.

13. ipwndeveloper

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    cool. You can inject ROMS into NESDS and play them over wifi, or DSCraft in DSiMode (look for the build for emulators that won't save). maybe even compile LOLSnes with internal ROMS, that would be awesome.

Margen67 likes this.