Hacking [SOLVED?] EZ Flash IV firmware upgrade from 2.01 -> 2.04 save corruption problem.

ateam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backdrifts.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm posting here not so much to ask for assistance, but instead to share with everyone a strange issue I had with my EZ Flash IV today. I'm doing this in hopes of it helping others in the future who may encounter a similar issue. Furthermore, I'm hoping that I may learn something about the truth behind this save-file corruption debacle.

I've broken down what happened into bullet points for ease of reading and quicker comprehension:
  • Had firmware 2.01, played Mega Man Zero 4 and successfully saved and loaded my game many times.
  • Upgraded from 2.01 to 2.04.
  • Loaded Mega Man Zero 4 days later to find that no save data existed, despite a save file being on the MicroSD card.
  • Played through the first few stages of MMZ4 and received an error when trying to save (something to the effect of "save is corrupted").
  • Repeatedly attempted to delete save file from MicroSD card, boot MMZ4, and then save the game, receiving the same corruption error each time.
  • Finally decided to delete the patch file for MMZ4, as well as the save file, and let the EZ Flash IV create new ones for each.
  • Mega Man Zero 4 now saves and loads games perfectly without issue.
Did the jump from version 2.01 to 2.04 of the firmware really require the patch for MMZ4 to be deleted and then recreated in order for game-saving to function properly? If so, how many other games do I have on my MicroSD card which also require me to do the same thing?

If anyone has any experience with this sort of problem and has collected information that explains what's happening here, I would be so grateful for you to share what you've learned here on this thread. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by ateam,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm posting here not so much to ask for assistance, but instead to share with everyone a strange issue I had with my EZ Flash IV today. I'm doing this in hopes of it helping others in the future who may encounter a similar issue. Furthermore, I'm hoping that I may learn something about the truth behind this save-file corruption debacle.

I've broken down what happened into bullet points for ease of reading and quicker comprehension:
  • Had firmware 2.01, played Mega Man Zero 4 and successfully saved and loaded my game many times.
  • Upgraded from 2.01 to 2.04.
  • Loaded Mega Man Zero 4 days later to find that no save data existed, despite a save file being on the MicroSD card.
  • Played through the first few stages of MMZ4 and received an error when trying to save (something to the effect of "save is corrupted").
  • Repeatedly attempted to delete save file from MicroSD card, boot MMZ4, and then save the game, receiving the same corruption error each time.
  • Finally decided to delete the patch file for MMZ4, as well as the save file, and let the EZ Flash IV create new ones for each.
  • Mega Man Zero 4 now saves and loads games perfectly without issue.
Did the jump from version 2.01 to 2.04 of the firmware really require the patch for MMZ4 to be deleted and then recreated in order for game-saving to function properly? If so, how many other games do I have on my MicroSD card which also require me to do the same thing?

If anyone has any experience with this sort of problem and has collected information that explains what's happening here, I would be so grateful for you to share what you've learned here on this thread. Thank you in advance!
I believe there were some changes to the patching either with version 2.02 or 2.03. But I am pretty certain that 2.01 was different.

ateam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
backdrifts.net
XP
Country
United States
I believe there were some changes to the patching either with version 2.02 or 2.03. But I am pretty certain that 2.01 was different.

It entirely understand that the patch files are nothing more than the data that EZ Client would have been adding to the ROM. As such, a new firmware changing the contents of that patch makes sense. I just wish I knew that before, but it doesn’t seem to be well publicized.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply. I use your Flat theme, by the way. Thanks for that ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night