Hacking [SOLVED] Don't install the CFW CIA installer by govanify!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
True, a black screen pic says nothing unless it's clearly a video where it's turned on and nothing happens. That said, how can you be so sure there is 100% no way it's bricked with a black screen?

It would display a bluescreen if the nand was corrupted. Black screen could be a hardware issue or something. I don't think the launcher is able to "physically" damage the system.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It would display a bluescreen if the nand was corrupted. Black screen could be a hardware issue or something. I don't think the launcher is able to "physically" damage the system.
Hardware issues also cause blue screens, as long as it's not damaged enough to still be able to read the most basic things and access the screens AFAIK. And there are other ways to brick something than just full nand corruption.

Reactions: Queno138

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Perhaps overclock until overheat? ;P

Well, launchers can cause bricking, as proven by gamequest1 (I think) proof on how GW causes bricks.
Though that's not physical damage, it's something.

Gawd I need to learn how to tag users here.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
most hardware faults (that would prevent the system booting) would result in a Blue screen of death...or nothing at all i.e no backlight coming on or just flicking on for a second

.....corrupted FW would = black screen of death(back light lit up but just satys on a black screen)

in some cases with a (minor) corrupt firmware you will have a black screen, but if you press the power button it will show the "power off" screen and then if you press home it will freeze on the homescreen text...never actually making it to the homescreen

that's the wrong way around the brick code blue screen of death is classed as a hardware fault as it locks the nand....meaning the 3ds cant access it at all, so you get the blue screen....if i decide to flash a load of rubbish to my nand it can still be read so its not a hardware its software and as such would result in a black screen where the 3ds freezes trying to figure out whats there

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
i fear of the day ocrashme/brickme code and the idiots running to install the super duper new cfw with some sum of consoles bricked beyond repair ,it happened on nds now the legend continuous

Reactions: Nightwish

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If you're using "alpha" software you must know what you're doing first, and have means to revert damage... basic users shouldn't mess with this yet, at all

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS is latest FW, and for some reason, my 3DS gave me blue screen (bootrom 8046 plus high pitched buzzing) while playing the smash bros demo. So don't think this is exclusive to the gateway bricking code (although it very well could have been an issue with the whole ram switch deal with smash plus the demo being stored on SD card).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't know if this is real or not, but as everyone seems to think bricks can't happen with this launcher, I want to remind everyone that it's patching the system to redirect NAND access to the SD card. If something goes wrong with that patching or it has a bug, it could happen that it tries to write emuNAND data onto the real NAND and that could cause a brick.
Example: smea's first test of redNAND when he bricked his 3DS and had to get a new one.

That said, I can't think of any other ways it could cause a brick, and as this is the first (and yet unconfirmed) brick I would say the risk is relatively low. But it's important to consider the risk before trying it out. With a NAND backup such things can be recovered from, but not without some effort. I have a NAND backup, and have been wanting a hardware NAND mod anyway, so I'm not overly worried.

Reactions: Queno138

Darkrevol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so, i finally unplug the battery and my 3ds boot normally! i don't know what happen sorry , you canclose this thread

Reactions: Foxi4

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, i finally unplug the battery and my 3ds boot normally! i don't know what happen sorry , you canclose this thread

God dammit don't get my hopes up. This is the second false alarm you've had. Your this close to becoming GBAtemp's "Boy who cried Wolf Brick"

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
moron ! False alarm again

*laugh*
St4kt is...
the most arrogant person i've ever seen !
Nah, he just a little mad because before leak things were like:

o5jq24l.jpg

And everyone were happy.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
loooooooooooooooooool, so him open a thread before try the essential step (like remove the sd, remove the battery ecc...)
it's my hero!!

Jackall4BDN

Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I really want to tell this, so Darkrevol wouldnt stand out as the most useless fool, ever, here:

This time was just stupid, as he panicked out from a blackscreen out of failing to hardreboot his system.
BUT
The last time he bricked his console with the other Gatewaylauncher and without the card was actually under my guidance in Private Chat and i basically made him try to set a emunand without having Gateway, which ultimately resultet in a brick even though i was about 98% sure it wouldnt appear.

So i guess I was the idiot back then and i don´t want that mistake to appear as reference for Dark to be an idiotic child who can´t learn...

Reactions: tyons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.