ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
ppc_gba said:
i had no idea they were working on a custom dip module. at least now we can see improvements as they are made. wonder when we can see the source they have so far and if it's as good as wiigator's. (here's hoping to play cod:waw)

You can see the source on the google page thing

Chemical_Warfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chemical_Warfare said:
i tried softchip in one of the way earlier releases, i think it was 16 or 17? - it didnt work, so i said whatever, i'll wait.. just tried ay again, used noob's wad pack, everything installed just fine, 0.3b still works, but softchip still does not work for me. using 1:1 backups, getting error opening partition.

sorry guys, just bumping for an answer..

edit: seems my guitar hero games arent working. tried summer sports and it worked. will check some more games after some sleep.

fennec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
marcan said:
Screemer said:
requiem is working on a disc format for homebrew games. so a homebrew developer could publish a image of his game and use all the advantages of a disc. like lots of space and the simplicity of usage. to access this disc format you'll have to install the cios or maybe a system menu replacement with patched ioses. we will see what what the future brings.
That's moronic. What we need is a proper ISO9660 devoptab (being worked on) for DVDX/libdi. cios / another disc format? This problem has been solved ever since libdi came out. DVDX can be fixed to work with the new update.

If what you do is boot the stuff from the main menu, then, that's pointless if you have to patch your system anyway (since you presumably have HBC). If you want "insert and play" capability for at least modchip users, that's still pointless since trucha got fixed ever since 3.3. And if you REALLY want to do it, I'm pretty sure that a dual-format DVD can be made that contains both a standard ISO image and a Wii style disc, since you can reserve the areas needed for the Wii stuff as part of the ISO image (they don't collide AFAIK).

Hi Marcan, I know it's offtopic, but would you agree to publish menuloader source ?
Thx !

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Requiem4d.

I wonder if you guys can edit the channel so that it auto loads the disc instead of having to press A (loads system language and video mode default). One of the Wiigator's channel was able to autoload, it had loading written writing on the screen.
Also I noticed that it displays writing when reading the disc, this should be hidden and have something like the logo on the screen while it's reading, like this:

softchip.jpg

or this.

MenuScreen1copy.jpg

requiem4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I wonder if you guys can edit the channel so that it auto loads the disc instead of having to press A (loads system language and video mode default). One of the Wiigator's channel was able to autoload, it had loading written writing on the screen.
Also I noticed that it displays writing when reading the disc, this should be hidden and have something like the logo on the screen while it's reading, like this:

Eventually, this will be almost exactly what happens. We're still early pre-alpha, so we need the output as of now, but if someone wanted to modify the sources to accomplish this for you, they're welcome to it. Basically you'll just need to ignore input and jump straight to Load_Disc. Basic image support would be required to get a graphical loading screen, but a text-only "Loading....." message would be easy enough to place.

As far as removing the text output is concerned, just remove or comment the calls to "printf" that are scattered around the code.

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
requiem4d said:
QUOTE said:

Eventually, this will be almost exactly what happens. We're still early pre-alpha, so we need the output as of now, but if someone wanted to modify the sources to accomplish this for you, they're welcome to it. Basically you'll just need to ignore input and jump straight to Load_Disc. Basic image support would be required to get a graphical loading screen, but a text-only "Loading....." message would be easy enough to place.

As far as removing the text output is concerned, just remove or comment the calls to "printf" that are scattered around the code.

Or just a blank screen.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to agree that in most scenarios i think auto-loading is better.
Like with the other modified loader, you could enter the settings screen by holding a button (perhaps A)

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
marcan said:
That's moronic. What we need is a proper ISO9660 devoptab (being worked on) for DVDX/libdi. cios / another disc format? This problem has been solved ever since libdi came out. DVDX can be fixed to work with the new update.
Actually, as I understand it, the format will indeed be ISO9660 rather than anything proprietary.

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thx for the info marcan. i've never seen it before. your one of the masters im sure but please stop being so aloof and share your wisdom.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it was just hypothetical gibberish. just my thoughts nothing official or even related to softchip. those guys working on softchip are pretty skilled coders and i am really looking forward to future releases. i am sure there is more to come, not only backup and loader related stuff.

fennec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think some kind of evolution of what HBC already does.

For example having a boot.dol, xml info, files for a "banner", music, etc at normalized place on the DVD so a custom menu would present games like disc channels does. Having some kind of template to start with development or porting of DVD games to the Wii.

Once done it would be possible to have a homebrew dics channel as good, if not better than disc channel.

requiem4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Then what's that about a "custom system menu" or a "cios"? You can already read ISO (or any other disc format for that matter) with libdi and DVDX.

Of course, you're right. We've never really openly discussed anything about the iso9660 homebrew disc format I'm planning. It's nothing special, and nothing that anyone else couldn't do using libdi and DVDX. We are not planning a custom system menu at this time, and probably never will be. We are, however, working on a platform similar to patchmii to allow safe, legal patching of IOS. This has almost nothing to do with loading backups, however. Our primary goal, and I believe I speak for the entire SoftChip team when I say this, is simply to learn as much about the system as possible, and document it in a completely open-source fashion.

The SoftChip loader itself (if you've looked at the source) isn't necessarily strictly a backup-loader either and will currently only load backup discs with a patched IOS. However, we're working to make SoftChip more than a loader, but an open source alternative platform for homebrew of all types.

Once we have a firm grasp on what's going on behind the scenes, we'd like to start working on other projects built on the SoftChip platform. For example, we'd like to explore possibilities for EHCI support. A library for ext3 access would also be nice to have. Users could store homebrew apps, movies, music, etc on an external drive and access them at decent speeds.

We're not saying we can do everything, we're not even claiming to do anything "better" than anyone else. We're simply trying to learn, and allow the community to learn with us.

xchiminox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
requiem4d said:
We're not saying we can do everything, we're not even claiming to do anything "better" than anyone else. We're simply trying to learn, and allow the community to learn with us.

And you guys are doing a wonderful job so far.
wink.gif
You just keep blowing our minds away. Thank you so much for your hard work !

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
robiul said:
Since the Wii is completely hackable, is it not possible to modify the disc channel so that it read backups? I'm sure it's possible.

most things are possible

their worth is measured in relation to the work taken to achieve them.

in this case, it's already been pretty extensively worked on...expect great things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Answered in your topic +1