Hacking SoftChip Backup Loader

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Although I like the idea of your automatically compiled binaries, I would be happier if your site didn't automatically make them available for download until you (or someone) has checked that they work.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Although I like the idea of your automatically compiled binaries, I would be happier if your site didn't automatically make them available for download until you (or someone) has checked that they work.
huh?
If it's got a "fixed" issue from the SoftChip team, the source is new for that particular fix, compiled and = .elf & .dol that means success, therefore will work....guaranteed!

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure he means compiling errors.

If the thing compiles, it works. If it doesn't, you can't test if it works.
tongue.gif

I never test mine.
tongue.gif

daedelus82

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aamon.net
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
huh?
If it's got a "fixed" issue from the SoftChip team, the source is new for that particular fix, compiled and = .elf & .dol that means success, therefore will work....guaranteed!
pretty much. if it compiles it should work.
edit: in case anybody noticed I also have a linker in the same location.
it's my first release, i will be rewriting the linker and updating the graphics over the next few days.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
daedelus82 said:
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
huh?
pretty much. if it compiles it should work.
edit: in case anybody noticed I also have a linker in the same location.
it's my first release, i will be rewriting the linker and updating the graphics over the next few days.

Yeah I noticed the linker in there, tried it and it works a treat!

Good work
wink.gif

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
If the thing compiles, it works.
Actually I didn't mean compiling errors, I meant errors in the code such that the thing compiles fine, but somehow damages the Wii. I just thought that there should be a human element before each binary release.

Unless you're telling me that the source releases are checked before a new revision is made?

luccax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We test our revisions before releasing them, but we take no responsability if an unofficial DOL/WAD damages your Console. (Personally, I think that's highly improbable if you know who compiles them)

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
pelago said:
Arm the Homeless said:
If the thing compiles, it works.
Actually I didn't mean compiling errors, I meant errors in the code such that the thing compiles fine, but somehow damages the Wii. I just thought that there should be a human element before each binary release.

Unless you're telling me that the source releases are checked before a new revision is made?
I think you're missing the point of SVN releases. They're not final, you wanna try them then you take the risk.

If it goes tits up then well, that's the way it goes with pre-release software sometimes!

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah you're right. I just didn't like the sound (although it is technically impressive) of the automatically compiled and uploaded binary releases being distributed without the guy running them first. Still, I realise these are unofficial.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"I think you're missing the point of SVN releases. They're not final, you wanna try them then you take the risk."

iven the final one will be at your own risk.
but yes you have a point

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I know I am still unknown here and haven't contributed anything to the scene, but I do know Daedelus from a techy forum of which we've both been members for many years, and I can honestly say that I trust him implicitly.

We'd lost contact recently and it's really nice to see him join GBATemp (and become part of the wii hacking scene).

I'm sure he'll be an asset if we give him the respect he deserves
wink.gif

*edit* If anyone wants some upload space on my server at madtamski.com for wii-hacking packs etc. they only have to pm me and I'll oblidge
smile.gif

Members I've seen help others out in the scene should only apply
tongue.gif

madTaMsKi

daedelus82

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.aamon.net
XP
Country
madtamski said:
I do know Daedelus from a techy forum of which we've both been members for many years, and I can honestly say that I trust him implicitly.
thanks tam

QUOTE(pelago @ Jan 8 2009, 03:06 AM) Yeah you're right. I just didn't like the sound (although it is technically impressive) of the automatically compiled and uploaded binary releases being distributed without the guy running them first. Still, I realise these are unofficial.
SoftChip is still in early stages of development, if you're worried about bricking your console you should wait for a stable revision, or at least install Starfall.

I have had a look through the SoftChip code and I highly doubt it would brick your console even if it compiled incorrectly. Most likely it would just fail and not produce a dol/elf at all.
However in order to quell any doubts I will include a '*.build.txt' with future builds, which will contain the output of the make/build process, then people can see for themselves if it had any issues.

Also after I (or anybody else) runs them we can post on gbatemp to confirm.

edit: btw I just want to give my thanks to the softchip team for their excellent loader, and their brilliant easy to read code.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just to be sure, there are a few new people around here:
There is an irc channel for coders who want to contribute something to SoftChip or become a member of the team, look at the 1st post.

rockoil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi guys,

I am a noob to Wii hacking and is seeking help from you guys.

My Wii come with the softchip loader R58. It was working fine all till i uninstall the IOS249.
I uninstall the IOS249 cos i was having problem making the wad manager to work.

Could anyone please advise how can i make my softchip loader work again?
I know nuts on these hacking thingy.

I read through the tread and found that i need to install the CIOS249? And the lastest version of softchip is R77 now.
Should i try installing the CIOS249 to see if my softchip will work again? or i can simply delete my R58 channel and install the new R77 to solve the problem?

please advise, thanks!

wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work