Hacking SoftChip Backup Loader

cdreams

Trophies
Website
www.shaunpauljohnston.com
XP
Country
Oops I justs remembered something else I was going to ask.

I know there are compatibility wiki's for both 0.1 and 0.3 loaders. Although not perfect they are reasonably informative. So would someone with the experience or knowledge make a wiki for Softchip and we can keep track of whats working.

If someone can do it can it be made really clear. This should be easier that the other wikis due to only using 1:1 backups and not patched backups too.

Posts merged

Cheers requiem, will do that
biggrin.gif

requiem4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideally, I'd like the wiki to be hosted at the Google Code site. I've been busy coding, and haven't had time to start setting it up.

cdreams

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
OK I have a problem using the dol
frown.gif

I uninstalled my loader channels, uninstalled DVDx, uninstalled any other cios's in my WAD manager I had installed. I also used ATD and deleted 247 and 249.

I then tried to install the ciod_rinstaller.dol that I got from the bottom of Wiigators page but the first time it came up with something along the lines of:

Exception: Ioct1 error

I had to switch off the power and turn on again, this attempt at installing the cios just gave a black screen, and the same a third attempt??

Any ideas where I am going wrong here?

I have:

/apps/cIOS_Installer/boot.dol

and

/apps/Softchip/boot.dol

Rod_Hull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This loader is proving to be great so far.

Using rev11 (compiled myself on my Linux box) - on a PAL Wii (3.2E) with the read_retry cIOS v249.

Already one game that was causing me problems with Wiigator's loader is now working flawlessly (so far at least).

I am happy to confirm that Wario Land: TSD (PAL) now DOESN'T FREEZE WHEN LOADING THE "DISTURBING TOMB" LEVEL!

The other "problem" game I've tried - de Blob (PAL) however still manifests the same "Eject disc" error if you hang about in the initial menus too long, as it does with Wiigator's loader
frown.gif
Still, that's one problem game seemingly fixed...

Overall, I am very impressed indeed with the short time this has been put together in...it's already (for me at least) more compatible than Wiigator's, and seems to me to initially boot the games faster. Loading speeds in-game are comparable (as is jumpy video with rich content - like that of the opening intro to Wario Land: TSD).

I like the sparse UI - I am a Linux-phile after all!

I am all for keeping it as source-only in SVN for the time being at least, forcing people to compile themselves and not distributing pre-compiled DOLs - it definitely helps to keep out the riff-raff users who don't really know what they're doing...

cdreams

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ok I tried some stuff out. It seems I couldn't boot the Softchip boot.dol if I had a game in my machine. I still think I have the wrong cIOS though, so would like a definitive one that I know is correct and working properly. Someone said rev6, I have rev5 for some reason.

Also I tried it with MOHH2 NTSC and Quantum of Solace PAL. With MOHH2 is just crashed the loader, and with QOS it gave the disc read error. However after that, everytime I try to load the loader now, it just blackscreens me and I need to restart my Wii. I have now un-installed all the cIOS's 247, 249, any fixes in my WAD folder ect.

I could use some help if possible.

I was asking earlier if someone could upload here on this thread the correct cIOS to use.

SamSpade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
On http://devkitpro.sourceforge.net/ they have a easy Windows installer thingy.

Have a question/concern if anyone can please help...

I've downloaded/installed the Windows devkitProUpdater-1.4.7 from the above site; edited the etc/fstab & copied the softchip folder; moved the include files; and everything seems to compile with no errors (revision "11").

However, my output SoftChip.dol is 269,440 bytes while the one uploaded to the following link is 280,352 bytes! WHY THE DIFFERENCE??? (Do I need updated libs or something???)

http://www.filedropper.com/boot_1

THANKS!
-ss-

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Libraries should have nothing to do with it.
If yours works, then it's fine.

And since I use Linux, what does /etc/fstab have to do with any of this?
That's what tells it how and where to mount the drives...

SamSpade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
Libraries should have nothing to do with it.
If yours works, then it's fine.

And since I use Linux, what does /etc/fstab have to do with any of this?
That's what tells it how and where to mount the drives...

Evidently MINGW32 (under Windows) uses the fstab differently (was strange to me also) -- I made the changes that were posted back in post #131 (added the line "c:/devkitPro/devkitPPC /ppc")

I haven't tested it yet because I was worried about the filesizes being different, but will do so shortly...

THANKS!
-ss-

requiem4d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@cdreams: Sorry, I'm not ignoring you, I just honestly don't know how to fix your problem. Tried AnyTitleDeleter to get rid of the old cIOS?

Try that, and reinstall the read-retry wad, (assuming you can load fakesigned content on your wii).

cdreams

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@requiem

I had the old loaders working fine, so for this I wanted to take them all off to just test this Softchip loader.

I un-installed everything, DVDx, any WADs I loaded in Wadmanager, then using ATD uninstalled 247 and 249. I even un-installed my 0.1 and 0.3 channels.

So at this stage I was or should be on a blank install or fresh and ready to go. Forgot to add, I have NTSC Wii with HBC9 and version 3.2 with 3.3 safe update.

Next I have my SD card with the following folders and HBC elf:

apps
private
WAD
boot.elf

In my apps folder I have the following:

Any Title Deleter
cIOS_Installer (has boot.dol from wiigators blog you told me to get)
DVDx
homebrew_Browser
Wadmanager
Softchip (has boot.dol, the one posted in this forum that was r11 aparantly)

Is there any other cIOS's that could be installed that are making this problematic for me, IOS51 or 36?

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rod_Hull said:
This loader is proving to be great so far.

Using rev11 (compiled myself on my Linux box) - on a PAL Wii (3.2E) with the read_retry cIOS v249.

Already one game that was causing me problems with Wiigator's loader is now working flawlessly (so far at least).

I am happy to confirm that Wario Land: TSD (PAL) now DOESN'T FREEZE WHEN LOADING THE "DISTURBING TOMB" LEVEL!

The other "problem" game I've tried - de Blob (PAL) however still manifests the same "Eject disc" error if you hang about in the initial menus too long, as it does with Wiigator's loader
frown.gif
Still, that's one problem game seemingly fixed...

Overall, I am very impressed indeed with the short time this has been put together in...it's already (for me at least) more compatible than Wiigator's, and seems to me to initially boot the games faster. Loading speeds in-game are comparable (as is jumpy video with rich content - like that of the opening intro to Wario Land: TSD).

I like the sparse UI - I am a Linux-phile after all!

I am all for keeping it as source-only in SVN for the time being at least, forcing people to compile themselves and not distributing pre-compiled DOLs - it definitely helps to keep out the riff-raff users who don't really know what they're doing...

untill they figure out how to fix the disc read error problem in cIOS every game that has that problem will most like still have it.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
with this loader cios249 2nd edition RR from wiigator installed it hang at black screen with + cios249 loaded and press A to continue then the Wii freezes ?? and this on NTSC-u wii with 3.3u.1
any ideas why ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay